Koga overleveling the cap

Going through the storyline run in the kanto region, when I got to koga's gym and I get to face 4 pokemon that are at least level 41.
I didn't get to see all 4 of his mons, but I did see a weezing lvl 41 and a crobat lvl 43.
I'd like to know if this was actually intended, because recently there was a change on the level caps.
Right now my level cap is 37, thus being really hard to beat him with common mons.

3 hours ago, TolitosPeko said:

Going through the storyline run in the kanto region, when I got to koga's gym and I get to face 4 pokemon that are at least level 41.
I didn't get to see all 4 of his mons, but I did see a weezing lvl 41 and a crobat lvl 43.
I'd like to know if this was actually intended, because recently there was a change on the level caps.
Right now my level cap is 37, thus being really hard to beat him with common mons.

4 minutes ago, Strykker said:

get the tea in celadon and go to saffron first

You skipped Sabrina, which would boost your level cap to a point where you can face Koga.

1 hour ago, XelaKebert said:

You skipped Sabrina, which would boost your level cap to a point where you can face Koga.

Sabrina is actually stronger than Koga, but that's the right sort of solution. Either Lt. Surge or Erika must have been skipped.