Make a "Casual mode" for more casual friendly players.

Spikejolteon

Question

While I understand why this game is slightly more difficult than average, I feel as if a casual mode is needed. A group of my friends found pokemmo and have enjoyed it so far; Until you get to the harder battles. While I do see the appeal in making the game harder. I believe the game should offer a casual mode so that players wouldn't worry about competitive ( Or getting ready for competitive) Instead, they should just focus on playing the game and having fun. As a player; both competitively and casually. I see the game as to hard for normal players. A good example: The 3rd may battle inbetween the second and third gym, A normal player isn't gonna make predictions, and expect the AI to make plays like that. Also another example, pokemon in important battles having egg moves, tms, and also hms being apart of movesets and most pokemon to have a counter to every counter is a lot for a normal player to take in, for example in this the Archie battle in the underwater cavern. Sharpedo has earthquake, ice fang, and also waterfall. Lanturn has surf, ice beam. And I could pull out more examples of this taking place. But you get the idea (hopefully).

Anyway, a point I am trying to make is that. If I wanted a competitive scene, i'd just grind up pokemon in a 3DS games, or just play showdown. If I'm gonna play a pokemon game, I SHOULDN'T have to make predictions, constant switching, and other competitive aspects. Also as I have stated this before; I understand the appeal in making the game harder, more challenging. But, you should make a separate channel/server where it's easier than it currently is.

4 answers to this question

29 minutes ago, Spikejolteon said:

While I understand why this game is slightly more difficult than average, I feel as if a casual mode is needed. A group of my friends found pokemmo and have enjoyed it so far; Until you get to the harder battles. While I do see the appeal in making the game harder. I believe the game should offer a casual mode so that players wouldn't worry about competitive ( Or getting ready for competitive) Instead, they should just focus on playing the game and having fun. As a player; both competitively and casually. I see the game as to hard for normal players. A good example: The 3rd may battle inbetween the second and third gym, A normal player isn't gonna make predictions, and expect the AI to make plays like that. Also another example, pokemon in important battles having egg moves, tms, and also hms being apart of movesets and most pokemon to have a counter to every counter is a lot for a normal player to take in, for example in this the Archie battle in the underwater cavern. Sharpedo has earthquake, ice fang, and also waterfall. Lanturn has surf, ice beam. And I could pull out more examples of this taking place. But you get the idea (hopefully).

Anyway, a point I am trying to make is that. If I wanted a competitive scene, i'd just grind up pokemon in a 3DS games, or just play showdown. If I'm gonna play a pokemon game, I SHOULDN'T have to make predictions, constant switching, and other competitive aspects. Also as I have stated this before; I understand the appeal in making the game harder, more challenging. But, you should make a separate channel/server where it's easier than it currently is.

As long as you are not undereleveled and keep type advantage in mind, you don't really need to make predictions.

A smart AI is quite difficult to make, and the one in pokemmo is quite barebones.

Granted, you can't no-brain sweep a water gym with one charizard, but that doesn't mean it's too difficult for casuals.

Just try to level up a full team to try and match your opponent's level, and don't use flying types vs electric types!

Not much further strategy is really necessary. You don't need eggmoves, ev training, or whatever other advanced strats.

Not to mention you can always spam healing items if you struggle.

But mostly, exp is the main factor in winning or losing.

tldr, i disagree with this suggestion because the game is already in casual mode. it's ok to lose 2-3 battles here and there.

Edited by Eggplant
2 hours ago, Spikejolteon said:

I SHOULDN'T have to make predictions, constant switching, and other competitive aspects.

I'm curious as to why you consider these things competitive aspects of Pokémon. For me personally switching/predicting is a core part of playing Pokémon just like type advantage/basic teambuilding. You don't need to be a competitive player to make smart plays, or put thought into your team. I understand it would be easier to go into the Elite 4 with a level 85 Charizard and 5 HM slaves, but if you put just a tiny bit of effort into things, it really isn't difficult. 

2 hours ago, Eggplant said:

You don't need eggmoves, ev training, or whatever other advanced strats.

^ These are things that I would consider to be competitive in Pokémon, and none of them are required to complete the story. 

Firstly, The increased difficulty in NPC sets is not to target the "competitive player base" but it is there to make the story progressions a challenge for both casuals or competitive players alike. The difficulty makes it less monotonous than the vanilla games where you could just clear up the game with 1 over leveled Pokemon in party.

For those who are having trouble with them should follow the tips that Eggplant mentioned in the post just above.

Secondly, I would like to tell you that the NPC AI is not finished yet and still being worked on. Requesting a new mode would mean a new AI for the and new sets(Pokemon/moves/abilities/nerfed stats) for all the NPCs in all 3 region, which to be honest are quite a lot.

Not to mention that this is a MMO, giving different difficultly options won't be fair for those who don't choose it.

2 hours ago, Spikejolteon said:

Also another example, pokemon in important battles having egg moves, tms, and also hms being apart of movesets and most pokemon to have a counter to every counter is a lot for a normal player to take in, for example in this the Archie battle in the underwater cavern. Sharpedo has earthquake, ice fang, and also waterfall. Lanturn has surf, ice beam. And I could pull out more examples of this taking place. But you get the idea (hopefully).

P.S. A lot of trainers in in Pokemon world tournament and Cynthia in sinnoh uses Pokemon with eggmoves.

8 hours ago, Lightningvolt said:

Firstly, The increased difficulty in NPC sets is not to target the "competitive player base" but it is there to make the story progressions a challenge for both casuals or competitive players alike. The difficulty makes it less monotonous than the vanilla games where you could just clear up the game with 1 over leveled Pokemon in party.

For those who are having trouble with them should follow the tips that Eggplant mentioned in the post just above.

Secondly, I would like to tell you that the NPC AI is not finished yet and still being worked on. Requesting a new mode would mean a new AI for the and new sets(Pokemon/moves/abilities/nerfed stats) for all the NPCs in all 3 region, which to be honest are quite a lot.

Not to mention that this is a MMO, giving different difficultly options won't be fair for those who don't choose it.

P.S. A lot of trainers in in Pokemon world tournament and Cynthia in sinnoh uses Pokemon with eggmoves.

I understand those because those are slightly end game bosses. However, I am currently going through Hoenn and I am stuck at archie becausse of His TM/HM/Egg moves. with him constantly switching and making predictions. I'm not over leveled at this point, I am currently on par, I have most of my move sets figured out and they are on the team, And most of my IV's are fine as well except for maybe a few mons lacking in a speed stat or so. Other then that I should be okay, But. For the most part, the battle goes like this;

My team is as follows:  Blaziken, Breloom ( Attempted to replace ), Alakazam, Starmie, Magnezone, Flygon.

My lead usually is Breloom, and he leads with lanturn: I cannot use a grass move and kill it because it has ice beam, and I do not one shot it. Therefore I have to switch out into something, the best bet is Zam or Zone, But the Lanturn has volt absorb so I can't hit it with anything other than flash cannon or swift. So I switch to zam, forcing him to switch into ether a mightyena or sharpedo, and the obvious answer to that is breloom or Blaziken, But because Sharpedo has ice fang, waterfall, earthquake, I cannot do that because they'd just die and I cannot switch into anything because this one mon has coverage for my entire team. While yes, I guess my team has a  lot of weaknesses to him. He should not have a cover for every one of his weaknesses.

Now that I am seeing it, my team does need some work.

9 hours ago, ImFunk said:

I'm curious as to why you consider these things competitive aspects of Pokémon. For me personally switching/predicting is a core part of playing Pokémon just like type advantage/basic teambuilding. You don't need to be a competitive player to make smart plays, or put thought into your team. I understand it would be easier to go into the Elite 4 with a level 85 Charizard and 5 HM slaves, but if you put just a tiny bit of effort into things, it really isn't difficult. 

^ These are things that I would consider to be competitive in Pokémon, and none of them are required to complete the story. 

Mainyl because you don't see stuff like this in regular pokemon games, I'm not the type of person to Solo run the game with one pokemon.