[PSL X] THE TENTH EDITION - HYPE THREAD

PSL X Tier  

112 members have voted

1. 1. What would you prefer DPP OU or SM OU?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/13/18 at 10:35 AM

1 hour ago, gbwead said:

It's not theoretical. It happens all the time. It's easy to say the pros outweight the cons when you make it look like the cons are hypothetical.

i dont think this happens at all really, doesnt seem like it has been a problem

2 hours ago, DoubleJ said:

I agree that players who willfully underperform in order to force a trade is bad for PSL, although looking back at this how many players have actually done this? Maybe lifestyle last season but even then he played pretty well for GOON up to the trade. 

28 minutes ago, Toast said:

i dont think this happens at all really, doesnt seem like it has been a problem

Fine, I'll be the uguu that calls out the bullshit trades from previous seasons, at least the ones I was aware or that I recall to be bullshit. Jice in PSL 5 traded off to the Ninjas. Robofiend in PSL 5 traded off to the Heroes of Light. Fabrooo in PSL 6 traded off to Spheals. Raaidn in PSL 7 traded off to the Outraging Lions. The only trade in PSL 8 was the one you mentionned JJ and it was kind of bullshit as well since Coolio basically had no choice but to accept that trade; I remember talking to him and  he said that Nik would not sign up midseason unless he was guaranteed to be on JJ's team, so he had to make that trade because his credits would be wasted otherwise. Yangsam and Lifestyle in PSL 9 were suspicious trades as well. Anyhow, when I see Fredrichnietze say that his bad performance was caused by the fact that he had a manager that he didn't like, it should be extremely obvious why trades should not be allowed. A player's perfomance should not be determined by who his/her manager is. 

1 hour ago, Gunthug said:

It's theoretical in that there is no guaruntee it'll happen at all this season, and the conditions that lay the groundwork for people self sabotaging to get traded can be addressed in other ways

Your naivety makes me sick.

edit:

2 hours ago, DoubleJ said:

By the end of the season, we considered ourselves friends

Ya, we're cool, but fuck you anyways.

Edited by gbwead
18 minutes ago, gbwead said:

Fine, I'll be the uguu that calls out the bullshit trades from previous seasons, at least the ones I was aware or that I recall to be bullshit. Jice in PSL 5 traded off to the Ninjas. Robofiend in PSL 5 traded off to the Heroes of Light. Fabrooo in PSL 6 traded off to Spheals. Raaidn in PSL 7 traded off to the Outraging Lions. The only trade in PSL 8 was the one you mentionned JJ and it was kind of bullshit as well since Coolio basically had no choice but to accept that trade; I remember talking to him and  he said that Nik would not sign up midseason unless he was guaranteed to be on JJ's team, so he had to make that trade because his credits would be wasted otherwise. Yangsam and Lifestyle in PSL 9 were suspicious trades as well. Anyhow, when I see Fredrichnietze say that his bad performance was caused by the fact that he had a manager that he didn't like, it should be extremely obvious why trades should not be allowed. A player's perfomance should not be determined by who his/her manager is.

iirc these trades happened cause there were no restrictions on trades at the time, no? and also with fred, he was literally being shit on and tossed around by doc wtf do u expect. like ya we all joked around with fred being shit and all last season but lets be honest here doc wasnt being the best manager there too tbh

2 minutes ago, Toast said:

iirc these trades happened cause there were no restrictions on trades at the time, no? and also with fred, he was literally being shit on and tossed around by doc wtf do u expect. like ya we all joked around with fred being shit and all last season but lets be honest here doc wasnt being the best manager there too tbh

What trade restriction could possibly prevent these trades? Those would be subjective af anyways. If you know something I don't about how Doc treated Fred last season, please enlighten me or better enlighten the hosts of PSL 10 so they can punish Doc accordingly if he was an ass.

8 minutes ago, gbwead said:

Your naivety makes me sick.

I don't see what's so suspicious about the lifestyle trade, wasn't he like 4-1 before being traded? Far from trying to force a trade because you don't like your manager or whatever.

The fred example is also pretty bad. Sure, fred didn't give a shit because he didn't like doc, but do you honestly believe he would have given a shit if trades weren't allowed? Whether trades were allowed or not, the outcome would have been the same. That's not a case of trying to force a trade to get on a team you want, that's just fred and doc having doing their usual bits. You say a player's performance shouldn't be determined by who their manager is, but realistically, this won't be the case, especially as long as their exist the docs of the world who buy fred for a giggle. However, we're not talking about player performance being affected by their manager, we're talking about player performance being affected specifically because they want to get traded to a different manager, which is very different. You could argue that, as long as trades exist, players have a larger incentive to play shitty to get traded off, but I think this is nowhere near as large of a factor as you're making it out to be. Fred would have played shitty on Doc's team regardless of trades, so that example is pretty nonsensical imo.

3 minutes ago, Senile said:

The fred example is also pretty bad. Sure, fred didn't give a shit because he didn't like doc, but do you honestly believe he would have given a shit if trades weren't allowed? Whether trades were allowed or not, the outcome would have been the same. That's not a case of trying to force a trade to get on a team you want, that's just fred and doc having doing their usual bits. You say a player's performance shouldn't be determined by who their manager is, but realistically, this won't be the case, especially as long as their exist the docs of the world who buy fred for a giggle. However, we're not talking about player performance being affected by their manager, we're talking about player performance being affected specifically because they want to get traded to a different manager, which is very different. You could argue that, as long as trades exist, players have a larger incentive to play shitty to get traded off, but I think this is nowhere near as large of a factor as you're making it out to be. Fred would have played shitty on Doc's team regardless of trades, so that example is pretty nonsensical imo.

I'm not saying that he would have given a shit if trades weren't allowed. In his case, trades were not possible since doc made him captain or something. What's problematic here is that if Fred was traded and suddenly started to play well, it would have been very unfair for Doc and that's pretty much what is implied here.

Just now, gbwead said:

I'm not saying that he would have given a shit if trades weren't allowed. In his case, trades were not possible since doc made him captain or something. What's problematic here is that if Fred was traded and suddenly started to play well, it would have been very unfair for Doc and that's pretty much what is implied here.

I mean, that's what happens when you draft the guy who literally hates you as a joke. No offense, but regardless of trades, if you draft someone you know hates you and will likely play worse on your team than on someone else's, you have made a mistake. This isn't problematic, this is the natural consequence of an obvious sequence of events. It's not unfair to doc at all, because he could have just not drafted someone who would very obviously do basically nothing on his team.

18 minutes ago, Senile said:

I mean, that's what happens when you draft the guy who literally hates you as a joke. No offense, but regardless of trades, if you draft someone you know hates you and will likely play worse on your team than on someone else's, you have made a mistake. This isn't problematic, this is the natural consequence of an obvious sequence of events. It's not unfair to doc at all, because he could have just not drafted someone who would very obviously do basically nothing on his team.

Fred was bought for the minimum amount of credits, so that pretty much means that he wouldn't get to play at all if Doc didn't pick him. I mean maybe no one was willing to outbid Doc, but cmon. It's not like Fred was benched, he was in the main lineup each week, so I really don't see the joke. A manager should not be restricted to buy only the players he/she has a good relationship with. That's not what PSL is about imo.

edit: Not every one will play their best all the time and, based on the manager, some players might not put in the same amount of efforts. There is nothing we can really do about that, but by allowing trades, the value system on which PSL is based on just gets fucked and it's not right if the best player in PSL plays like shit for Manager A and like a god for Manager B. If the best player wants to play like shit, at least he/she will play like shit all season.

Edited by gbwead
3 minutes ago, gbwead said:

Fred was bought for the minimum amount of credits, so that pretty much means that he wouldn't get to play at all if Doc didn't pick him. I mean maybe no one was willing to outbid Doc, but cmon. It's not like Fred was benched, he was in the main lineup each week, so I really don't see the joke. A manager should not be restricted to buy only the players he/she has a good relationship with. That's not what PSL is about imo.

he was literally bought because doc wanted to fuck with fred

9 minutes ago, gbwead said:

edit: Not every one will play their best all the time and, based on the manager, some players might not put in the same amount of efforts. There is nothing we can really do about that, but by allowing trades, the value system on which PSL is based on just gets fucked and it's not right if the best player in PSL plays like shit for Manager A and like a god for Manager B. If the best player wants to play like shit, at least he/she will play like shit all season.

I think your argument is ignoring something pretty important; If there is no trades and you buy a player who plays like shit for you all season, you just shafted yourself. Sure, it may not be fair if they'd play way better for another manager, but that also means that that player has a lot of value for other managers, that you might be able to use to get a player who will actually work a lot better on your team. If the argument is "some players will play worse for some managers regardless and we can't do anything about that", wouldn't trades, so that the manager isn't stuck with a sandbagging player the whole season, a better resolution than making sure they stay together?

2 minutes ago, DoctorPBC said:

I actually bought him for doubles, but got fukt end game draft and ended without a LC so I had him and strider duke it out... fred won most of the practice battles so in he went 

thats not the point tho

Fred stated he did not want to play for you, and you bought him anyway. even made him captain to ensure he could not be traded

4 minutes ago, Bilburt said:

thats not the point tho

Fred stated he did not want to play for you, and you bought him anyway. even made him captain to ensure he could not be traded

I bought him bcos 2k value and as much as I won’t admit that he is better than me the guy can play dubs when committed. I captained him because I knew nobody else would trade for him so why not keep my trade value open 

Edited by DoctorPBC
18 minutes ago, DoctorPBC said:

I bought him bcos 2k value and as much as I won’t admit that he is better than me the guy can play dubs when committed. I captained him because I knew nobody else would trade for him so why not keep my trade value open 

hey but i needed a LC player tho :(

@gbwead

The Nik/Schu trade was certainly forced, as Coolio needed to get maximum value for his midseason pick. Was he robbed? No. Was there other factors at play? Certainly. But that situation was a direct result of a corrupt and broken midseason that has since been removed. Without trades, coolio would have gotten much less value than schu.

The other trades were during a time when the trade system was close to broken. I've since done my best to fix that with various restrictions, and new hosts can build upon or change that as they see fit. 

I'd also argue that Fred and Doc came away with a pretty good relationship. Fred got to play and had a solid excuse for playing bad, "I don't like my manager". Doc had even defended fred a couple times toward the end of the season during forum spam.

55 minutes ago, DoubleJ said:

@gbwead

The Nik/Schu trade was certainly forced, as Coolio needed to get maximum value for his midseason pick. Was he robbed? No. Was there other factors at play? Certainly. But that situation was a direct result of a corrupt and broken midseason that has since been removed. Without trades, coolio would have gotten much less value than schu.

The other trades were during a time when the trade system was close to broken. I've since done my best to fix that with various restrictions, and new hosts can build upon or change that as they see fit. 

Yes absolutely, I'm not blaming anyone for the Nik/Schu trade. The system itself was flawed. Tbh, I think the reason why trades have been less problematic lately is simply because there has been less trades in recent seasons, but I still believe they are very problematic.