[PSL X] THE TENTH EDITION - HYPE THREAD

PSL X Tier  

112 members have voted

1. 1. What would you prefer DPP OU or SM OU?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/13/18 at 10:35 AM

15 minutes ago, SweeTforU said:

may i remind u i went 6-0 on my first season playing dpp and i think 5-2 the next one? also, btooom is one of the 3 people to ever reach 1700 on the dpp ladder and its fucking unreachable so say what u want my friend but ur opinion is pretty much dogshit

What was your record in the past 3 seasons? I said not "that" dominant. And to add, what has Btooom done in the PSL? He came in with HYPE (note your 1700 argument and his knack for shit talk), but at the end of the day he lost and was actually a pretty tame player. 

Some pretty premium dogshit if you ask me. 

8 minutes ago, DoubleJ said:

What was your record in the past 3 seasons? I said not "that" dominant. And to add, what has Btooom done in the PSL? He came in with HYPE (note your 1700 argument and his knack for shit talk), but at the end of the day he lost and was actually a pretty tame player. 

Some pretty premium dogshit if you ask me. 

i didnt ask u tho

5 hours ago, gbwead said:

Any smogon tier after gen 5 is considerably more competitive imo with more playstyle diversity and rng is less of deciding factor.

That's not true man. Heatran missing a Magma Storm, and Greninja missing a Hydro Pump are all very match-deciding factors. 

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen7ou-394457

Go to turn 37, and you'll see that if Tamahome hit Magma Storm, he would have definitely won. This is just one game that I managed to spectate, so I'm sure that there are plenty more games like this.

5 hours ago, gbwead said:

People voted for DPP, so they got what they wanted. I'm just the guy that announced what people decided. When I say showdown tiers are shit, what I am actually saying is that DPP is shit and that showdown players here in general are shit.

Hold up bruh, I'm not the best but I don't think that anyone who has been picked up for SPL, and finished WCOP with a 3-1 record is in any way shit. I've also won two Smogon Tour Tier weeks (DPP OU + BW OU). 

2 hours ago, DoubleJ said:

You just caught me off guard with how passionate you are about keeping DPP. Especially after you wrote "I'm not die hard trying to save DPP". DPP is a good tier. It's debatable whether we have a solid playerbase though and I suggest we move on because it was pretty stale last season. 

NikhilR probably won't play PSL again. 

XPLOZ is dead and doesn't care. 

Btooom really wasn't ever that good.

Frexaz hates PSL.

Gunt has been getting railed by nabbs recently. 

SweeTforU isn't that dominant. 

Linken won last season alternating between two teams, most of which relied on Jirachi hax. 

Kami was the only shining star IMO, who had several different teams that worked out ok. 

Oltan got slayed by Cheels, who had never played before in her life (respeckk).

It just isn't a deep tier today, and like you said yourself, I wouldn't mind seeing a future Showdown tier. 

Nah I'll definitely play PSL this time. I prefer to play DPP because it involves less time with regards to prep, but if I have to play MMO then I'd need someone to do all the building for me because my only contribution towards PSL would be to just play my matches. 

And this is pokemon, anyone can win any game simply by having the superior matchup despite not having ever played a game before, so I don't think you can invalidate Oltan because of that. 

Edited by NikhilR
6 minutes ago, NikhilR said:

And this is pokemon, anyone can win any game simply by having the superior matchup despite not having ever played a game before, so I don't think you can invalidate Oltan because of that. 

Not to mention I'm pretty positive it came out that she was hard coached anyways. Can any results from last season be trusted? 

Edited by Gunthug
1 hour ago, NikhilR said:

That's not true man. Heatran missing a Magma Storm, and Greninja missing a Hydro Pump are all very match-deciding factors. 

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen7ou-394457

Go to turn 37, and you'll see that if Tamahome hit Magma Storm, he would have definitely won. This is just one game that I managed to spectate, so I'm sure that there are plenty more games like this.

No one is forced to play these shit moves in gen 7 though. They remain an option for low standards strategies, but not a must like in DPP. Also, DPP is a terrible tier for several other reasons that a lot of people have already mentionned.

1 hour ago, NikhilR said:

Hold up bruh, I'm not the best but I don't think that anyone who has been picked up for SPL, and finished WCOP with a 3-1 record is in any way shit. I've also won two Smogon Tour Tier weeks (DPP OU + BW OU). 

You weren't really part of the competition in the last PSL so I wasn't really refering to you. Are you planning to sign up this season?

edit: just read the second part of your post lol

Edited by gbwead
19 minutes ago, gbwead said:

No one is forced to play these shit moves in gen 7 though. They remain an option for low standards strategies, but not a must like in DPP. Also, DPP is a terrible tier for several other reasons that a lot of people have already mentionned.

Unfortunately as a US/UM player I can't agree with you here gb. Magma Storm is absolutely necessary on a stallbreaker Heatran, depite risky accuracy it's the only trapping move Heatran has, which enables it then to dispose of either Tapu Fini (with grassium-z solarbeam) or Toxapex (groundium-z earth power) OR Chansey (and then taunt it, effectively disposing of the blob). Only other viable fire move I can see on Heatran is Lava Plume which has much less base power (and even less with firium), because fire blast / flamethrower are just worse compared to those two. Unless it's a super rare scarf Heatran which I haven't seen in US/UM like, ever, then yeah it might want to carry fire blast.

I could agree on Surf being a better alternative than Hydro on Gren-a in some situations, but in US/UM, a metagame which completely relies on momentum, you just need to hit as hard as possible.

US/UM compared to DPP looks like a lamborghini next to a volkswagen golf though. Smaller chance to get a crit (and less damage from it), noone is spamming explosion because of how broken it is, no permanent weather, big diversity of mons and their movesets, lots of playstyles viable and we don't see Jirachis flinching each other each match over and over.

Edited by RysPicz
Just now, gbwead said:

How can you call it a "low standard strategy" when it's being used by the top players? And in a way, you are forced to run these moves because you need that extra power to get certain kills or for the secondary effect. For instance, Magma Storm Tran is super beneficial for trapping Toxapex. I think 4f covered everything else as I was typing this. 

12 minutes ago, NikhilR said:

How can you call it a "low standard strategy" when it's being used by the top players? And in a way, you are forced to run these moves because you need that extra power to get certain kills or for the secondary effect. For instance, Magma Storm Tran is super beneficial for trapping Toxapex. I think 4f covered everything else as I was typing this. 

No one is forcing you to run a stall breaker Tran though. It's not mandatory to rely on RNG.

54 minutes ago, gbwead said:

No one is forcing you to run a stall breaker Tran though. It's not mandatory to rely on RNG.

Then maybe you can come up with a solution that doesn't require any RNG. I think anyone in their right mind would definitely not force themselves into a position where their entire game is based on luck, it's why people put so much effort into getting the better match-up. So if it someone is running a strat that has RNG associated with it, then you should know that the metagame is like that. 

Just now, DoubleJ said:

@NikhilR

How you gonna play PSL this season, when you're starting your second year of law school and nothing changed from last season lol. 

You're right that the situation is still the same. I could dedicate max 1 hr to mons last season, and this season as well. I chose not to do so last season because of how I'm used to playing a bigger role which required me looking out for my teammates, and therefore more time investment. However, I'm now comfortable taking the backseat and just focusing on doing me. 

Edited by NikhilR
5 minutes ago, NikhilR said:

Then maybe you can come up with a solution that doesn't require any RNG. I think anyone in their right mind would definitely not force themselves into a position where their entire game is based on luck, it's why people put so much effort into getting the better match-up. So if it someone is running a strat that has RNG associated with it, then you should know that the metagame is like that.  

That's not what I'm saying at all. DPP is 100% RNG, later gen is not 100%. That's it. I'm not saying we need to eliminate all forms of RNG, just that PSL is a competitive event and for that reason we should embrace competitive tiers; DPP is not one of those imo.

On 8/31/2018 at 6:15 PM, Kimikozen said:

Although what do I know, I sound like an old uguu who doesn’t like new DPPers. But typically new guys aren’t willing to invest a lot of time in an old tier, and my eye test is pretty solid at seeing who’s good in the tier. IMO either SM or DPP is fine, just understand there’s pros and cons for each.

Pretty sure I spent more time on Teambuilding, analyzing my opponents and training before every game than every other DPP player combined last season. Not gonna argue about the other thing you said since you're biaised af and can't bare me at all since I bet against you vs Nik on PSL9's quarterfinals'  tiebreaker or something like that. It's fine say whatever you want, for me you're just butthurt.

I agree on the last part the tier doesn't really matter and I'm not against a "new" tier, a good pokemon player should be able to learn a tier like SMOU quite fast if he dedicates himself to it. 

11 hours ago, DoubleJ said:

Kami was the only shining star IMO, who had several different teams that worked out ok. 

I see you're a man of culture. 

10 hours ago, Gunthug said:

@DoubleJinteresting, I've seen nothing but linken praise in this thread and yet one player absolutely thrashed him last season. Cant remember who though, hmmmmmm

Are you trying to get any credit for beating him ? COME ON Gunth :(

9 hours ago, SweeTforU said:

may i remind u i went 6-0 on my first season playing dpp and i think 5-2 the next one?

also, btooom is one of the 3 people to ever reach 1700 on the dpp ladder and its fucking unreachable so say what u want my friend but ur opinion is pretty much dogshit

- Why do you act so defensive what he said was true you clearly underperformed last season but it doesn't mean you're a bad player, you teambuilded and almost didn't missplay and just for that you're 100 times better than Linken who definitely made the tier look horrible to everyone.
- Imo Btooom was a bad PSL player (from what I've seen in like PSL7 or 8), his teams looked like he just didn't give a fuck about the opponent he was facing just like in ladder where you have no idea who you're going to face.

Just wanna say to everyone it's pointless to say SM>DPP when your only argument is a so-called lack of skill in the DPP playerbase, if games looked bad to you last season it's only because litterally 3/4 of the players weren't giving a sh*t about PSL and didn't prepare more than 20 minuts per game. It's going to be the exact same thing for SMOU and we're going to see RMTs everywhere until people start caring enough about the PSL to spend time teambuilding and preparing their weekly matchup.

This said I think SM will be somewhat refreshing but worse to watch than DPP just because I think teampreview is trash imo and shouldn't be part of the game as it cuts a lot of thinking from the players and turn some games into pure 50/50 that you can't call "outplay", on top of ruining the scouting part of the game. For me TP is an abomination so I'd be glad having DPP once again but SM can be fun too as it's quite balanced and interesting to teambuild.

Edited by Kamimiii