[PSL X] THE TENTH EDITION - HYPE THREAD

PSL X Tier  

112 members have voted

1. 1. What would you prefer DPP OU or SM OU?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/13/18 at 10:35 AM

8 hours ago, DoubleJ said:

I mean, this premise dates all the way back to the original PSL where we chose Gen 3 ADV because it resembled a "finished" version of what PokeMMO was supposed to look like competitively at the time. When Gen 4 DPP OU was first introduced (PSL3), we also attempted to include VGC15 along with our old standby Gen 3 ADV. Unfortunately that was a shitshow, dominated by our Showdown brethren which really brought forth the importance of drafting players skilled outside of PokeMMO. 

This is a direct quote from the OG ThinkNice in the PSL3 Smack Talk thread:

• The thing I would like more opinions on though, is replacing ADV OU with DPP OU. Also known as 4th gen OU. As our game is slowly transitioning towards gen IV, it may be cool to have this as a tier in stead of ADV OU, that was supposed to mimick our PokeMMO meta.

tl;dr be quiet Kay, I know things because I'm old. 

so we pick it now because of what some dead person said in the early seasons? it couldn't possibly be because we've used it multiple times and the PokeMMO player base grew on it and actually like playing it?

tl;dr sure you ain't gone senile from your age?

1 hour ago, MknsZblex said:

we need to definite our Tiers before

Well, since you guys are still questioning tiers, what do you think about trades?

Imo a season without any interaction between the managers would be kinda boring and lineal. I suggest we at least bring back trades, I don't know about Midseason and I don't really care about it, but trades have been crucial in Psl since the very beginning.

Now about showdown, I have always been against Showdown tiers, my argument was that this is a PokeMMO event, blah blah, etc. But now I have a different opinion as showdown tiers bring diversity, and it has been a ritual since the start. DPP OU is fun, and so is SM OU. Creating a poll wouldn't be a bad idea, after all this event is for the community, so it's just normal to have us decide what we want to play.

43 minutes ago, Havsha said:

How are showdown tiers any less competitive than mmo tiers?

Well DPP is trash. It doesn't matter who plays, that tier will never be competitive with such shit mechanics.

When it comes to other showdown tiers, the vast majority of our dead players do not play at a competitive level on Showdown. I don't see what's the point in watching them bring shame to themselves and to this event.

edit: And since our dead players do not play at a competitive level, we end up watching them use rmts without a single clue of what they are doing.

Edited by gbwead
5 minutes ago, gbwead said:

Well DPP is trash. It doesn't matter who plays, that tier will never be competitive with such shit mechanics.

When it comes to other showdown tiers, the vast majority of our dead players do not play at a competitive level on Showdown. I don't see what's the point in watching them bring shame to themselves and to this event.

Ill have to disagree about dpp being innately competitive, the crit mechanic is the only really busted thing( base 500 explosionis flames) and even that adds an element of punishment to stallier builds or bp chains. And there are plenty of talented dpp players that may have had a poor season last psl, but still have potential. Its up to the managers to distinguish those with talent and those who are washed up, if you havr an issue with dpp there are other solid tiers

3 minutes ago, Havsha said:

Ill have to disagree about dpp being innately competitive, the crit mechanic is the only really busted thing( base 500 explosionis flames) and even that adds an element of punishment to stallier builds or bp chains. And there are plenty of talented dpp players that may have had a poor season last psl, but still have potential. Its up to the managers to distinguish those with talent and those who are washed up, if you havr an issue with dpp there are other solid tiers

When I watch a DPP duel, all I see is a bunch of clowns in permanent Sandstorm spamming Focus Blast, Hydro Pump, Fire Blast and Sleep Powder at each other, exploding when they realise how shitty their teambuild is, praying for broken crits/flinchs whenever they get a chance and abusing twave on electric types / spore on grass types. It's just an RNG fest disguise as a competitive tier. It takes as much skills to play DPP than rolling a dice.

1- Trades! Yes,trades are hype, and promotes interrelationships between managers.

2- DPP last season was really underwhelming, and although Gbwead exaggerated a bit, it is true DPP battles are a massive rng fest with mechanics that gladly we do not possess in mmo. 

3- On the other hand, I believe we should get ONE showdown tier just because it is popular and adds a bit of variety (It is still a pokemmo community event, so more than 1//2 is pushing too far). I don´t know how SUMO tiers are right now but surely can´t be worse than last season DPP.

3.1 - Go for a poll to decide with showdown tier we should get.

4- Did I mention trades?

3 minutes ago, gbwead said:

permanent Sandstorm 

Without abusers like drill this is less of an issue than youre making it out to be, and since there's no real sand abusers in the same way gen 5+ have I don't know if permanent weather is a skillless mechanic or a feature that you must keep in mind while teambuilding

6 minutes ago, gbwead said:

Focus Blast, Hydro Pump, Fire Blast

Low acc moves come with risk, however theres obvious needs for strong moves like focus blast for ttar and hydro for passho ttar, heatran etc people aren't running these moves because theyre hoping for rng, but rather because of the berry mechanics and just threats like ttar, a gengar running focus blast in dpp is no different from one running it in mmo

8 minutes ago, gbwead said:

Sleep Powder 

Sleep fodders are a legitimate part of dpp and competitive in general, its why many mons in dpp will run sleep talk without rest, just another mechanic you need to learn to play around

10 minutes ago, gbwead said:

exploding when they realise how shitty their teambuild is, praying

@Oltan has a neat explosion team youd enjoy, explosion is indeed stupidly powerful, no denying that

12 minutes ago, gbwead said:

flinchs

Jirachi is skillful though????? Also in every generation, though admittedly more frequently used in dpp

1 minute ago, pachima said:

1- Trades! Yes,trades are hype, and promotes interrelationships between managers.

2- DPP last season was really underwhelming, and although Gbwead exaggerated a bit, it is true DPP battles are a massive rng fest with mechanics that gladly we do not possess in mmo. 

3- On the other hand, I believe we should get ONE showdown tier just because it is popular and adds a bit of variety (It is still a pokemmo community event, so more than 1//2 is pushing too far). I don´t know how SUMO tiers are right now but surely can´t be worse than last season DPP.

3.1 - Go for a poll to decide with showdown tier we should get.

4- Did I mention trades?

I agree, that's a fair post

3 minutes ago, Havsha said:

Without abusers like drill this is less of an issue than youre making it out to be, and since there's no real sand abusers in the same way gen 5+ have I don't know if permanent weather is a skillless mechanic or a feature that you must keep in mind while teambuilding

Low acc moves come with risk, however theres obvious needs for strong moves like focus blast for ttar and hydro for passho ttar, heatran etc people aren't running these moves because theyre hoping for rng, but rather because of the berry mechanics and just threats like ttar, a gengar running focus blast in dpp is no different from one running it in mmo

Sleep fodders are a legitimate part of dpp and competitive in general, its why many mons in dpp will run sleep talk without rest, just another mechanic you need to learn to play around

@Oltan has a neat explosion team youd enjoy, explosion is indeed stupidly powerful, no denying that

Jirachi is skillful though????? Also in every generation, though admittedly more frequently used in dpp

wallah c tro t ki zebi

On a more serious note, I'm not saying there are no valid reason for playing these moves; the fact that you are forced to play these shit rng based moves is part of the reason why DPP is not competitive. 

1 minute ago, gbwead said:

wallah c tro t ki zebi

On a more serious note, I'm not saying there are no valid reason for playing these moves; the fact that you are forced to play these shit rng based moves is part of the reason why DPP is not competitive. 

Im not sure how much dpp you've played, but Ive player a lot, and a lot of other generations, and I can confidently say it is the most entertaining generation to play in, and I know a lot of the other dpp players will say the same thing. Now Im not saying it isn't about time we give dpp a rest and try out a different showdown tier(personally id be hype for usum ou) but I don't think its fair to dub dpp as uncompetitive

Just now, Havsha said:

Im not sure how much dpp you've played, but Ive player a lot, and a lot of other generations, and I can confidently say it is the most entertaining generation to play in, and I know a lot of the other dpp players will say the same thing. Now Im not saying it isn't about time we give dpp a rest and try out a different showdown tier(personally id be hype for usum ou) but I don't think its fair to dub dpp as uncompetitive

stop linguistics

I personally would love to see GB attempt to play even one single competitive smogon event in any tier from any gen and get fucking destroyed. You're a slightly above average mmo player who really hasn't done much here despite devoting your life and 23 hours a day to this garbage metagame, which gives you literally 0 credibility in any actual serious competitive pokemon circle. 

But since you're pulling the strings of psl while too much of a weenie to actually be host, I'm sure we'll end up with another mmo tier instead of showdowm

22 minutes ago, gbwead said:

wallah c tro t ki zebi

I hope you realize in every generation above 3, you need to use these "shit rng based moves" to win the game. You just simply can't get 1hkos/2hkos on power creep mons without using fire blast > flamethrower, hydro pump > surf, focus blast as coverage on heatran/ttar etc. Trust me this will slowly happen to MMO too as people are realizing you can't always use semistall in every game and stay relevant. This is already happening in MMO OU, focus blast on gengar needs to be used to hit ttar, stone edge is used over rock slide in almost all scenarios, togekiss is damn near one of the best mons in the tier, blah blah etc. 

And that is playing into your premise. I don't get how DPP makes you use more "uncompetitive moves" than MMO, or any other showdown tier. I'll give you Jirachi, that shit is fucking aids. But other than that, DPP has just as much luck as any other generation of pokemon from 4-7. IMO the most uncompetitive thing about DPP isn't even the hax, it's the team preview. Although, knowledgeable DPP players know how to play around team preview and know how teams are built nowadays.

Edited by Kimikozen