[PSL X] THE TENTH EDITION - HYPE THREAD

PSL X Tier  

112 members have voted

1. 1. What would you prefer DPP OU or SM OU?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/13/18 at 10:35 AM

3 hours ago, MknsZblex said:

is SM OU played a lot?

I still actively play the tier and ladder to top 50 on a few accounts in past months. Last time it was here, tier was pretty shite. Meta has gotten better since, no dugtrio, less stall. This time around though, there will be a lot of mindless hyper offense that I would expect players to spam. (A-Ninetails, Ribombee, Koko screens, etc.)

Overall it’s still not the hardest tier to learn, there’s only about 20ish staple mons in the meta, and 50+ viable mons that are you can learn pretty fast. Very enjoyable tier, lots of creativity, and creativity is rewarded in SM. Although if the skill level is the same as two seasons ago, I’d be afraid it could be a non-competitive tier except for a few players.

Obviously I'd rather DPP br chosen than Sm OU, but here is my unbiased opinion of smou regardless

It really is a fun tier to play, and I think it has a lot more flexibility for creativity than dpp. However, there is definitely a learning curve. And while you can "pick up" the tier pretty quickly it takes time to truly be a strong player capable of holding your own against other strong players. For that reason, if it was chosen this season I think it would be incredibly lopsided. 2 or 3 players with the most smou experience would likely dominate the tier while the newer players would struggle to break from smogom RMTs and likely produce low quality matches. 

Keep in mind this is pretty much exactly how dpp started, too, and if we ever hope for sm ou ti improve as a psl tier we kind of need to just take a stab at it and get people acclimated. So, short term, DPP>>>SM, but long term might be a different story 

The DPP competition has been so deplorable in latest seasons. Short term or long term, we might as well start fresh with a new Showdown tier like SM OU and hope for the best. Gen7 LC duels were much more interesting than the crap we had to endure each week in DPP.

Edited by gbwead
19 minutes ago, gbwead said:

The DPP competition has been so deplorable in latest seasons. Short term or long term, we might as well start fresh with a Showdown tier with SM OU and hope for the best. Gen7 LC duels were much more interesting than the crap we had to endure each week in DPP.

I dunno if I agree that there was more hype on SM LC in comparison to DPP, but I do agree the level at which DPP was played last season was less than to be desired. Although I do love DPP, I would be in favour of at the very least testing a new Showdown tier, and SM OU is probably the way to go

Like I’ve said before, we have lost so many good DPP or at least serviceable players these past few seasons. Raptori, foggi, Xploz, Riga etc. We have gunthug, Oltan, sweet, (Nikilhr?), that play the tier now. I wouldn’t even consider myself in the conversation because I’m rusty as fuck in DPP compared to SM. If we somehow get that talent back in PSL, DPP would be fine and fun tier to watch. No disrespect intended, but Kami and Linken don’t fill that void of skill.

Although what do I know, I sound like an old uguu who doesn’t like new DPPers. But typically new guys aren’t willing to invest a lot of time in an old tier, and my eye test is pretty solid at seeing who’s good in the tier. IMO either SM or DPP is fine, just understand there’s pros and cons for each.

Edited by Kimikozen
40 minutes ago, Kimikozen said:

Like I’ve said before, we have lost so many good DPP or at least serviceable players these past few seasons. Raptori, foggi, Xploz, Riga etc. We have gunthug, Oltan, sweet, (Nikilhr?), that play the tier now. I wouldn’t even consider myself in the conversation because I’m rusty as fuck in DPP compared to SM. If we somehow get that talent back in PSL, DPP would be fine and fun tier to watch. No disrespect intended, but Kami and Linken don’t fill that void of skill.

Although what do I know, I sound like an old uguu who doesn’t like new DPPers. But typically new guys aren’t willing to invest a lot of time in an old tier, and my eye test is pretty solid at seeing who’s good in the tier. IMO either SM or DPP is fine, just understand there’s pros and cons for each.

Considering that last season both Kami and Linken have bested the remaining "good DPP or at least serviceable players", the void of skill has been filled. People are just realising now that there wasn't much to fill...