[PSL X] THE TENTH EDITION - HYPE THREAD

PSL X Tier  

112 members have voted

1. 1. What would you prefer DPP OU or SM OU?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/13/18 at 10:35 AM

On 8/2/2018 at 3:52 PM, PSL10 said:

Hide contents

DoubleJ, MadaraSixSix, Barrage, Kimikozen, Artemiseta, DoctorPBJ, Manjume and Parke will have to pay 1 million pokeyen to "PSLfunds" if they wish to participate as a player.

I wanna participate int his event, will be my first PSL I know the power of Doctor and I can pay the Fee of Doctor. 

12 hours ago, xXBlu3BreathXx said:

While we could assess trades to see if both teams are gaining roughly the same value, it would be difficult to foresee how it impacts the league as a whole. For example, team 1 trades off a player which they predict will lose in their main tier (for the rest of the season) and then ends up carrying team 4 to victory. Another point is that we would have to measure players off multiple variables like:

• how much did they sell for?
  • are they performing well?
  • are they known for being good?

A good known player could sell for a high price and end up under performing, I believe that a team should be more supportive of their roster as whole and see it through to the end. PSL brings people together that you usually wouldn't have even spoken to, sure there are some ass holes but I don't think this is an excuse for managers to jump ship on a player they drafted. Another factor within these variables is that assessing whether a cheap good player is worth as much as a high cost under performing player is difficult, it just adds too many layers of complexity.

Players would not be able to force a trade if trades cannot happen, if they decide that they don't like their manager then they got to suck it up and put their differences aside to realise that they are working towards the same goal; to win the PSL.

Toast OP, he said everything

5 hours ago, gbwead said:

Riga is one of many idiots, but he's not the reason why trades are shit in PSL. He's the reason why trades were no longer allowed after week 5. When it comes to the trade system itself, there is 2 issues: managers are sometimes very stupid (or the hosts were stupid for picking shitty managers) and players sometimes underperform just so they can be traded off in a team with friends. No more bullshit trades plz. It's fun and managers feel less useless, but it's uncompetitive af.

Why is it uncompetitive ? This event is totally based on luck for the players anyway and if trades are not allowed it will be even worst since there is no way to fix a prob in a team

9 hours ago, Toast said:

my few cents, i feel like these arguments are pretty flawed cause imo how well a player does depends on their manager too. lets take your example where the one bad player suddenly becomes an op player, that shouldn't be a variable on whether or not the host should accept the trade cause that assumes that the manager plays no role on how well the player does. maybe the player didn't fit in on the initial team but fits in perfectly with the second, cause better teammates, etc. value shouldnt be a variable here cause a player could be more valuable for one team than another, and that's not a problem cause different teams will need to fix different things. if a player is performing well, i dont see why you need to trade them to another team cause i assume youll keep them unless youre getting another good player back, which doesnt make too much sense anyways cause you wont really be gaining much anyways. i think last season went well with trades, cutting off trades at the midseason point or whatever so trading doesnt get abused, although evlgoon was a shit manager and doc got a better team out of it. it wouldn't be a problem if you picked 8 smart managers who actually want to win

tl;dr: trades are important for the managers and their teams cause it helps make their team better. someone you thought would be a good fit but isnt, so you trade them to try and get better

git gud really

I can understand from a managers perspective that some purchases can go wrong, but the only person to blame for those purchases is yourself. In general I don't like trades because it not only upsets the balance of teams but also individual players; getting traded off to a objectively weaker team doesn't feel great and could even lessen that players morale. While the manager most definitely impacts a players performance it is not the only variable. I'm not entirely against trades but if they were to be reinstated then they would not be available past the auction stage.

9 hours ago, JIceJDragon said:

Also there are trades that don't even have players yet, aka trading picks for credits and whatever... I mean idk if the PSL still does the mix draft where its half snake draft and half credits but... managers should at least be able to trade those

We plan on using a pure auction if no trades is a thing, it would be senseless to not allow a manager a chance at obtaining their ideal player(s).

4 hours ago, Maekaaay said:

Why is it uncompetitive ? This event is totally based on luck for the players anyway and if trades are not allowed it will be even worst since there is no way to fix a prob in a team

It's uncompetitive because when a player register to be part of PSL, that player is willing to play for any manager, not just for his friends. By allowing trades, a player can underperform just so he/she can be traded off. It has happened in the past and it will happen again.

You don't have to trade off a player to fix a problem. A manager could choose to train with them or encourage them to get better. Trades are the easy way out.

Managers have to be creative nowadays to make a real impact. Some believe the only role the manager serves is drafting the team and then the players do the rest, which is not true at all, especially if you look at decent managers.

Trading is one additon that can be abused by managers, and the better managers can use this to better themselves. I don't think it should be removed. Allow the managers to have additional tools to make an impact. 

PSL is a lot like other sports trading systems where you can trade off players not in good form, inactive or simply not as good in that specific meta. It's the other managers that need to do their research before accepting the trade.

Doc is one that really made best use of it I think, and I believe that season showed just how impactful good managers can be when utilising trades. 

20 minutes ago, gbwead said:

It's uncompetitive because when a player register to be part of PSL, that player is willing to play for any manager, not just for his friends. By allowing trades, a player can underperform just so he/she can be traded off. It has happened in the past and it will happen again.

You don't have to trade off a player to fix a problem. A manager could choose to train with them or encourage them to get better. Trades are the easy way out.

I don't think a great player like to lose at all, there is pride at stake and that's the reason players play the PSL imo.

I understand your second point and i agree that's a better option if it's possible for the manager, the thing is someone just can't be good in every tier and that could be a good reason for wanting a trade.

1 hour ago, KaynineXL said:

Doc is one that really made best use of it I think, and I believe that season showed just how impactful good managers can be when utilising trades. 

this really, if we had 8 solid managers then unbalanced trades wont be a problem. the only reason why it was moderately a problem last season was cause evlgoon was a tard, otherwise all the other trades were fine and balanced. speaking for myself, that trade i made with parke worked out on both ends (kinda), we both got what we needed and although that trade probably didnt have a big impact on how well we did, surely there was an impact somewhere considering we ended up top 3. ill even admit i under offered kiz's players so hard when his team was practically last, but he wasnt a dumbass to accept the trade which would otherwise create that unbalance

4 hours ago, gbwead said:

I agree that players who willfully underperform in order to force a trade is bad for PSL, although looking back at this how many players have actually done this? Maybe lifestyle last season but even then he played pretty well for GOON up to the trade. 

That aside, this concept is what really makes being a manager difficult. You not only have to have a good relationship with many members of the community, but you also need to be a great motivator. You have to be able to recognize talent, understand who will put in the effort, and who might end up just being scum. 

Take for example PSL8, where I drafted Schuchty a former best overall player. I recognized that he was talented but it wasn't just because of that. My relationship with you (gbwead) was among the worst in game but I recognized you were a top player at that time who put in a lot of effort. Schu was an investment to motivate you to play for me. By the end of the season, we considered ourselves friends and you even became the best player in a tier you otherwise can't stand. That took effort. Once I saw schu was underperforming, I was able to use the trade system to improve upon our team as best as I could. 

Trades are an important part of being a manager, and simply should not be removed. 

I'm in accord with most of the above posters, in that I think trades are a core mechanic of fantasy sports leagues (which is what this is) and shouldn't be removed. The theoretical possibility that someone could try to sabotage their own season for a slight chance of being traded to a manager they like more is no reason to remove a core mechanic - especially when things like mutually beneficial trades not only exist but are relatively common. The pros outweigh the cons, I think trading should be reinstated in some way shape or form

4 minutes ago, Gunthug said:

I'm in accord with most of the above posters, in that I think trades are a core mechanic of fantasy sports leagues (which is what this is) and shouldn't be removed. The theoretical possibility that someone could try to sabotage their own season for a slight chance of being traded to a manager they like more is no reason to remove a core mechanic - especially when things like mutually beneficial trades not only exist but are relatively common. The pros outweigh the cons, I think trading should be reinstated in some way shape or form

It's not theoretical. It happens all the time. It's easy to say the pros outweight the cons when you make it look like the cons are hypothetical.

7 minutes ago, gbwead said:

It's not theoretical. It happens all the time. It's easy to say the pros outweight the cons when you make it look like the cons are hypothetical.

It's theoretical in that there is no guaruntee it'll happen at all this season, and the conditions that lay the groundwork for people self sabotaging to get traded can be addressed in other ways

Just now, DoubleJ said:

I agree that players who willfully underperform in order to force a trade is bad for PSL, although looking back at this how many players have actually done this? Maybe lifestyle last season but even then he played pretty well for GOON up to the trade. 

That aside, this concept is what really makes being a manager difficult. You not only have to have a good relationship with many members of the community, but you also need to be a great motivator. You have to be able to recognize talent, understand who will put in the effort, and who might end up just being scum. 

Take for example PSL8, where I drafted Schuchty a former best overall player. I recognized that he was talented but it wasn't just because of that. My relationship with you (gbwead) was among the worst in game but I recognized you were a top player at that time who put in a lot of effort. Schu was an investment to motivate you to play for me. By the end of the season, we considered ourselves friends and you even became the best player in a tier you otherwise can't stand. That took effort. Once I saw schu was underperforming, I was able to use the trade system to improve upon our team as best as I could. 

Trades are an important part of being a manager, and simply should not be removed. 

600384ec32.jpg