Battle Speed

WALLlAM

Question

I love playing pokemon as a multiplayer game rather than single player, so PokeMMO is perfect for me. The literal only thing I would change is the battle speed. I find it hard to enjoy the game when the pokemon take 5 seconds to come out of their balls. Maybe this is just me but it's almost a must for me to get really into the game. Thanks for considering ^-^

24 minutes ago, DaftCoolio said:

is there not a setting for this?

Is there?  I've been trying to speedrun parts of the game and have been having to rely on logging in and out to skip animations.  If they can be sped up that would be great.  I know there's one for text but it would be cool if the battle animations could happen as quickly as the messages show up in the battle chat.

Edited by Aard
7 hours ago, Aard said:

Is there?  I've been trying to speedrun parts of the game and have been having to rely on logging in and out to skip animations.  If they can be sped up that would be great.  I know there's one for text but it would be cool if the battle animations could happen as quickly as the messages show up in the battle chat.

This is a form of bug abuse and players should not be doing this.

30 minutes ago, Munya said:

This is a form of bug abuse and players should not be doing this.

Many players do this all the time, even seen staff do it.  No one I've met considers it a bug.  Basically, you are putting a handicap on me and telling me to waste my time or get in trouble and its just discouraging.  If you really care that much about people logging in and out to save a couple of seconds, why not put a 10 second cooldown on logging in after logging out?  That would be an easier fix than accusing me of bug abusing when all I'm doing is toggling an intended mechanic. 

10 minutes ago, Aard said:

Many players do this all the time, even seen staff do it.  No one I've met considers it a bug.  Basically, you are putting a handicap on me and telling me to waste my time or get in trouble and its just discouraging.  If you really care that much about people logging in and out to save a couple of seconds, why not put a 10 second cooldown on logging in after logging out?  That would be an easier fix than accusing me of bug abusing when all I'm doing is toggling an intended mechanic. 

I am sorry if you feel that that post was directed solely at you, that post is very much for everyone to see and follow, its not okay to be doing that.

43 minutes ago, WALLlAM said:

Do you guys have plans to do any kind of speeding up battles for all players in the future? 

We've talked about having battle animations play at the same time as they are announced.

We've also talked about trying to lower the encounter time.

Whether any of these will go ahead is yet to be decided, but other than this we do not currently have any further plans to speed up battles in the future.

I hope this answers your question.

28 minutes ago, Munya said:

I am sorry if you feel that that post was directed solely at you, that post is very much for everyone to see and follow, its not okay to be doing that.

I learned about it because a moderator suggested it in global to someone complaining about ev training a gyarados.

"I have to sit through 5 intimidate animations"

"Put and exp share on something."

"Less experience"

"Just log out and in then and it skips it."

Why is it okay for me to download mods that change the battle animation to be faster or slower but not log in or out?  There's no consistency and no way to police this on anyone except me.  I just shouldn't have reported the Zoroark bug basically because now I have to play the game slower than everyone else.  What percentage of the community do you think is really willing to sit through intimidate 5 times on a horde after learning about this?

I was just reporting the weird Zoroark glitch.  If you guys really didn't know animation skipping is commonplace before this post, then the disconnect between the people who coded the game and the community is worrying.  Something that has existed for years and that a large portion of community routinely uses suddenly being considered bug abuse is going to have to be dealt with sooner or later.

Edited by Aard
33 minutes ago, Munya said:

I'm curious how this "bug" impacts game-play negatively, does it break something? Is it exploitable? It's interesting that you would worry about something as mundane as skipped intimidate animations, what are you not telling us? Or is this just heavy handed policing of insignificant issues.

Edited by CCMayhem
17 minutes ago, Darkshade said:

We've talked about having battle animations play at the same time as they are announced.

Whether any of these will go ahead is yet to be decided, but other than this we do not currently have any further plans to speed up battles in the future.

Yes thank you, finally someone answers :)

21 minutes ago, Darkshade said:

Also, not sure if this will sway your judgement in any way, but the "having battle animations play at the same time as they are announced" sounds great to me, since this is the suggestion box.

4 minutes ago, Darkshade said:

Could you point me in the direction of these mods please?

Just anything that changes the battle animations will change the speed of the battle since it is entirely dependent on that.  I haven't looked into client customization since pre-gen5.  Right now,  even the android client has slightly faster battle animations than the pc client.   

4 minutes ago, Aard said:

Just anything that changes the battle animations will change the speed of the battle since it is entirely dependent on that.  I haven't looked into client customization since pre-gen5.  Right now,  even the android client has slightly faster battle animations than the pc client.   

I understand that, I'm just not aware of anything that changes the battle animations that is being hosted anywhere.

If you happen to know of any, I'd appreciate it if you could point me in their direction.

1 minute ago, Darkshade said:

I understand that, I'm just not aware of anything that changes the battle animations that is being hosted anywhere.

If you happen to know of any, I'd appreciate it if you could point me in their direction.

Anything that changes battles to look like previous or later generations will change battle speed since the animations take different times in different gens.  I know there used to be a lot of mods like that. 

Just now, Aard said:

Anything that changes battles to look like previous or later generations will change battle speed since the animations take different times in different gens.  I know there used to be a lot of mods like that. 

I'm not aware of any though, pre-gen 5 and post-gen 5.

Do you have any to hand?

1 minute ago, Darkshade said:

I'm not aware of any though, pre-gen 5 and post-gen 5.

Do you have any to hand?

Go look in client customization.  Battle animations are graphical and client side.  Anything that changes graphics in battle has the potential to reduce or prolong battle animations.  I'm not going to go download and test every mod individually especially when I'm already under fire for logging in and out being called bug abuse. 

Just now, Aard said:

Go look in client customization.  Battle animations are graphical and client side.  Anything that changes graphics in battle has the potential to reduce or prolong battle animations.  I'm not going to go download and test every mod individually especially when I'm already under fire for logging in and out being called bug abuse. 

No, I understand - I'm responsible for Client Customization.

I am not aware of any mods that currently achieve what you are describing, although I am aware of the potential for some mods to do this.

Just now, Darkshade said:

No, I understand - I'm responsible for Client Customization.

I am not aware of any mods that currently achieve what you are describing, although I am aware of the potential for some mods to do this.

https://forums.pokemmo.eu/index.php?/forum/48-client-translations/

Every mod here will change text speed therefore speeding up or slowing down the game.

I'm allowed to change my game to Japanese to speed up all the text, but not log in and out.  I don't see too many current mods that change battle animations.  A lot of ones a couple of years ago that are advertised to make the game look like later gens will though.  The modding community might just be kind of dead.

THIS. Please make text and animations faster. It's painful to play this game.

It's painful to spectate this game.

Also Aard is onto something pretty big. I was never aware of this log in log out glitch.

IMO the best fix for this is to just make animations fast so it isn't even a consideration to "abuse" logging in and out to have an "advantage" on other players.

He just set a new record time for beating E4 using this mechanic, and well props to him for pulling it off! Not even sure abusing this glitch really saved him all that much time, 1 minute max, imo it was the superior , if costly memento strategy.

Also adding a cooldown to loggin in and out would suck for all the times you get disconected.

Thats a pretty annoying point which ever has impact directly in game enjoyment.

I didnt sugested something like this because i tought staff planned that.

This was annoyiance for single player pokemon, we dont need this hits multiplayer too.

On 7/31/2018 at 3:45 PM, Aard said:

https://forums.pokemmo.eu/index.php?/forum/48-client-translations/

Every mod here will change text speed therefore speeding up or slowing down the game.

I'm allowed to change my game to Japanese to speed up all the text, but not log in and out.  I don't see too many current mods that change battle animations.  A lot of ones a couple of years ago that are advertised to make the game look like later gens will though.  The modding community might just be kind of dead.

Animations have never been moddable. That is why.

Here are a couple ideas I've been thinking about. 

1. 'Debuff'/'Buff' animations are too long.
What I'm talking about here are the little blue particle effects that shower on a pokemon after they've been hit with a move like growl. Or the animation when they buff themselves with something like focus energy.

Okay so in the original games, this animation exists to show players "hey this move has reduced your Pokemon's stats in some way. Maybe you want to read the chat log to figure out what it's done"
For new players to the series, it makes some sense to have an animation like that. But PokeMMO is not something that's really aimed at newer players to the pokemon franchise. I would wager that a vast majority of players already understand debuffs... So I think seriously shortening the animation would be beneficial. It would still be there to inform the occasional new player... but for everyone else it wouldn't be such a time consuming ordeal.

Especially in the earlier parts of the game when you're fighting lower level pokemon and combat goes on for 3-4 turns. To have a pokemon use tail whip on you over and over, it feels agonizingly slow to watch that debuff animation play. I also personally (and I imagine some other people feel the same way) find myself wary to use buff/debuff skills when not absolutely essential because of how long they take. This could be something that both speeds up combat, and makes certain underutilized moves seem more appealing to users who are concerned with speed/efficiency (which is a core part of this games audience)

2. Speed up of the zooming/pokemon-movement during skills
Okay so I should clarify what I'm talking about here. Anytime you use an attack, the camera zooms into the target, or the screen will change colour, or the attacking pokemon will move etc to give you a better view of the animation. This is great, it makes the visual effects pop, and it's important; however, I do think these animations could be sped up to increase the flow of battle. 

3. Speed up screen transitions
Not much need to explain here I don't think. 
Just increase the speed of battle transitions, calling out your pokemon, etc. They're pretty slow and repetitive, and one of the most noticeable slowdowns in combat. 

Overall pokemon is a game all about battling, and everything supports that core system. There are things like breeding, IVs, EVs, etc... but they all serve the purpose of making better pokemon for the sake of battling. So I think it's very important that battles be made a smooth, fluid, and responsive as possible and as good as it is so far, I think there is still room for improvement on this front.

I will be clear and simple. Even though I like the concept, what you are doing and illegal and punishable by heavy penalties, therefore I find that you are in no position to say whether it is wrong or not. Just the fact that you earn money with game objects, whether they are cosmetic, ergonomic (boost exp) or useful like CSs even if they are not cut for some is intolerable. Nevertheless I support your project, the game is cool, the only problems is that you have not thought about the game's ergonomics at all. For example if in Pokémon I have to level up a single level put 30 minutes to farmer in the tall grass (for example) so I would not want to play, and Pokemon X & Y solved this problem and so you have to do it too, not to make the xp simple, but by increasing the speed of progression of the player. I spend easy 1-2 hours in a city to XP because my Pokémon are not level. Pokémon is a fun game, speed up combat speeds, speed x2 or x4 via a button, make sure the game is PRACTICAL and ERGONOMIC rather than CHIANT and NOT PRACTICAL.

Miscellaneous note

Also why restrict the chat? It's totally useless and boring, so we can not talk: /

Do not restrict the league to 1 time per day, it's useless.

Do you know why people play on your servers? You are easy to access, you have a translation FR and / or other languages, and above all it is easier here than the bottom. So continue in your logic and go all the way, you MUST listen to your players, do polls for example.

You have to make us want to play, for example you could make it possible to capture the Pokémon of ALL generations, some will be very rare but not impossible to find. Do not forget the GOAL of the GAME !! In an MMO a player always has the choice to progress alone or in a group