Language in Chat

xRunRiot

Question

As I've suggested before in-game, I think that the use of words from another language should have the game redirect the person to the chat of that language. There has been some confusion for new players who are in the wrong chat, and people have to then tell the new person in that language how to change languages. This disrupts chat very often, and is very bothersome. Also people typing workarounds such as bu3no can easily be spotted for misuse by mods. This is similar to trade chat, and I feel would likely help smooth out the clutter in some English channels. Not the whole language, but some key words would be nice.

5 answers to this question

We tried this a few years ago, but it is greatly problematic due to how language works.

Romance languages have lots of overlap, and even words cherry picked for a filter will have usages.

We currently do this for Han (Chinese) Unicode ranges, but that's one of the only cases where it's this clear-cut. Even then, it breaks Japanese, but that will be fixed next update.

6 hours ago, Desu said:

We tried this a few years ago, but it is greatly problematic due to how language works.

Romance languages have lots of overlap, and even words cherry picked for a filter will have usages.

We currently do this for Han (Chinese) Unicode ranges, but that's one of the only cases where it's this clear-cut. Even then, it breaks Japanese, but that will be fixed next update.

what about having a filter for a languge that only works with a few common word from that language that don't overlap in other such has "alguiem" for spanish. not exactly sure what it mean but it's definetly one of the most common word used outside of their chat. just a few word that auto kick you to the right language could fix most of the issue without having much issue of being a word in another language.

23 minutes ago, ThePrettyPetard said:

what about having a filter for a languge that only works with a few common word from that language that don't overlap in other such has "alguiem" for spanish. not exactly sure what it mean but it's definetly one of the most common word used outside of their chat. just a few word that auto kick you to the right language could fix most of the issue without having much issue of being a word in another language.

Seens good,but cant Fully suply the demand, I mean, people use slangs and abreviations all the time (in the example you said, tons of people could use "algn", for example)

Its harder make it work to a whole chain of strings. ( But common, its java, someone must have already done)

7 hours ago, Desu said:

I really don't see dismissing the entire idea because languages overlap, and I understand slang but there cannot be more words that overlap than those who do not. I don't know much for the romance languages but even the fewest words help, whatever we can do. Lets not give up because we can't move them all pikachu-crying

20 minutes ago, Risadex said:

Seens good,but cant Fully suply the demand, I mean, people use slangs and abreviations all the time (in the example you said, tons of people could use "algn", for example)

Its harder make it work to a whole chain of strings. ( But common, its java, someone must have already done)

this wouldn't be meant to be fool proof just to be a way to move people to the right language chat eventually without sending people that clearly don't belong there. there could alsways be some word/slang version that could be added to make it more effective over time has long has it doesn't inderectly hurt other language. basically my idea is just a frame that could be implemented like that and refined over time. the word that auto switch you could even be listed before on the forum for people that speak more than one language to see and check if they could cause problem.