A New Mechanic For Breeding

Edniss

Question

In my humble opinion, what shiny market needs in order to get "saved" (that's actually the best word I came in to describe its current situation) simply is a way to reduce the number of shinies in game overall.

And there I came with an idea: Simply a "Big Risk Big Reward" System. For instance, allowing a shiny to breed with a non-shiny and give the baby a 50% chances to be shiny and a 50% no to be shiny.

In case of win, some Eggmoves may be applied more easily to shinies, making them more desirable in competitive, and also enhancing their IVs if the breeder knows what he's doing, all while conserving it's OT, enticing people to use that method. (I know a lot of people really putting a point of honor on their OT) Oh! And it should also revive the Ditto market, by the same occasion.

In case of lose, sorry to say it that way, but that's one less shiny Pokemon in the world. And since it would be interesting to sometimes take a risk to get some juicy results, needless to say that many shinies will probably disappear that way, and surely faster or as fast as shinies are found everyday. Which, as a result long-term wise, should improve (or at least stabilize) the current situation concerning the shiny market and also creating a new money sink, since expensive Pokemon with good EVs will likely be used for that purpose.

Please, do not hesitate to tell me your thoughts about this. ~

5 answers to this question

If the chances where 50% to get one shiny out of one shiny and one non-shiny parent, it can be expected that in the long run it is roughly similar to one shiny per every two shiny parents sacrificed. This would be entirely similar to the current shiny breeding system in terms of how many shinies are "lost"/how high the outflux is.
The chance would need to be significantly lower than 50%.

That might be a reason why it was suggested before, but with a 25-30% chance in mind.
In the older thread, you might also find another major flaw of the idea: If the species that is not shiny may still determine the species of a possible shiny offspring, it would actually be a "Low Risk Big Reward" System...

Edited by Anthrazit

I agree 50% would be to high.

As for lower chances they would change shiny prices entirely (which is not the worst thing). Common shinies price would go up to meet dropping price of rare shinies. There will be still difference but much smaller than now. People would use common shinies to try get their OT shiny charizard, but since every one have a chance to get it, it would not be that expensive. Ppl would keep it to have shiny comp instead of selling it back on GTL.

On the face of this change, it would move shiny from currency/jewelry for the most wealthy players to the expensive show off/palet swap and collectibles for semi-wealthy. This would cause shiny to be removed more often but also to have lower prices at the same time.

Would PokeMMO benefit from this change economically? I'm not the one to answer that question.

4 hours ago, Anthrazit said:

it would actually be a "Low Risk Big Reward" System...

This could be avoided be not allowing dittos with non-shiny pokemon. (Same apllies for shiny ditto).

- Also the offspring could be equivalent of shiny species instead of female one.

1 hour ago, Risadex said:

This could be avoided be not allowing dittos with non-shiny pokemon. (Same apllies for shiny ditto).

- Also the offspring could be equivalent of shiny species instead of female one.

Ok, the addition that one can only get the same shiny species out of this 'gamble' would add a difference compared to the preceding suggestion of 2015.

So the only remaining reason to use this would be the mentioned eggmove(s)?

I currently see rather negative impacts on the shiny economy than positive ones.

I. The chance of success either results in less shinies lost or the system is not used at all
The reason you would prefer the suggested system over the 'safe' one has to be, that the shiny you'd normally need as a partner is expensive (enough).
Either the chance of success is high enough to justify the risk - which would result in less being sunk than in the current system (as you avoid sacrificing more valuable shinies thanks to the high enough chance of the new system),
or the chance is low (to sink more shinies) - which would result in no one being motivated to use that system over the regular one.

II. The bypass to breed eggmoves results in even less shinies sunk
The most likely application that I currently see is the case, in which you'd like to build a shiny comp of a rather common species that would need an eggmove of a rather rare/expensive species. The system allows you to save a lot more (the rarer the species for the eggmove, the more you could save) than you risk to loose.
It is also important to note, that - as you may simply prepare a non-shiny partner with more than one needed eggmove - you may save yourself up to four (even more if chains were needed for a move) shinies with this system.
Why should an advantage of this magnitude be introduced?

Edit:
Inheritance of IVs/Nature has not been adresses yet, but if the outcome of both would not be random, it would involve the corresponding negative impacts.
If it were random though, it has an influence on which shinies were sunk (shinies with good IVs are sunk less - shinies with bad IVs sunk more)

Edited by Anthrazit