Fixing the shiny rate while boosting the shiny economy

techshaman

Question

I have come up with a few ideas to allow you to return the shiny rate to it's natural 1/8k or even better chances while still boosting the economy.

The first part of this idea will be to raise the chances of receiving terrible IVs on shiny pokemon.

The second part of this idea will be to raise the max IVs on a shiny pokemon 10% to 25% higher than normal pokemon.

Finally you should implement shiny aging to make a shiny age up to 10 times, removing 1 random IV per age.

with these successfully implemented, it doesn't matter how many shinies flood the market, more people will want them, and most people will only seek out the best shinies they can find.

With the implementation of part 1 cosmetic shinies will be more available for cheaper to people who don't really play the game as hardcore players, hence less gameplay and less experience.

With the implementation of part 2, the mad rush will begin to receive the best IVs which will obviously be as rare or more rare than normal shinies are now.

With the implementation of part 3, finding a fully aged shiny with good stats will be next to impossible and the shiny economy will revolve around these astonishingly rare gems.

The most unique shiny system in pokemon history

Just now, techshaman said:

literally half of any fan made pokemon mmo has to be non cannon in order to be unique as well as avoid lawsuits from the pokemon company

Yes, that's exactly why this one is different and a lot more loyal to the main series, part of why it has a community as big as it has. This doens't have, and sorry ofr the term but I literally don't know a better one, 'garbage filler' content, like shadow pokemons would be.

Just now, redspawn said:

Yes, that's exactly why this one is different and a lot more loyal to the main series, part of why it has a community as big as it has. This doens't have, and sorry ofr the term but I literally don't know a better one, 'garbage filler' content, like shadow pokemons would be.

actually now that I think about it I'm pretty sure there was actually a pokemon game with shadowlike pokemon

1 minute ago, techshaman said:

actually now that I think about it I'm pretty sure there was actually a pokemon game with shadowlike pokemon

Pretty sure there is, idk if it's shadow, but I'm pretty sure there's some others. well people can create wtv they want I guess. Just you can't create something out of the bloom, without first considering how it would affect the community, and overall economy and gameplay of an mmo, especially not on this one, that remains probably the most loyal to the real thing, even with all the flaws it has.

Just now, redspawn said:

Pretty sure there is, idk if it's shadow, but I'm pretty sure there's some others. well people can create wtv they want I guess. Just you can't create something out of the bloom, without first considering how it would affect the community, and overall economy and gameplay of an mmo, especially not on this one, that remains probably the most loyal to the real thing, even with all the flaws it has.

well in this situation, shadow pokemon would replace shiny pokemon and shiny pokemon could become what they were meant to be, a pleasant surprise for cosmetic purposes

1 minute ago, techshaman said:

well in this situation, shadow pokemon would replace shiny pokemon and shiny pokemon could become what they were meant to be, a pleasant surprise for cosmetic purposes

but you need to understand, shiny pokemons here, are meant to be a luxury, nothing else. If you want cosmetics, we have vanities, including limited vanities.

Just now, redspawn said:

but you need to understand, shiny pokemons here, are meant to be a luxury, nothing else. If you want cosmetics, we have vanities, including limited vanities.

that's the problem... shiny pokemon were never meant to be monetized to the extent that they would become luxuries for the rich and powerful.... they were supposed to be something fun you find after a hard day of work grinding away seeing how many shinies you can get in a day. that's how the original game intended it. If you wanted something you could monetize, you should have made it something special like modified shinies instead of limiting a major aspect of pokemon end game to the select few who choose to grind every day in the hopes of finding one a month to sell to people who actually want it. I don't want to buy my shinies, I want to earn them, and 30k encounters for a 63% chance is not fun, it's barbaric torture

Just now, techshaman said:

that's the problem... shiny pokemon were never meant to be monetized to the extent that they would become luxuries for the rich and powerful.... they were supposed to be something fun you find after a hard day of work grinding away seeing how many shinies you can get in a day. that's how the original game intended it. If you wanted something you could monetize, you should have made it something special like modified shinies instead of limiting a major aspect of pokemon end game to the select few who choose to grind every day in the hopes of finding one a month to sell to people who actually want it. I don't want to buy my shinies, I want to earn them, and 30k encounters for a 63% chance is not fun, it's barbaric torture

then if you go by that, pokemon was never meant to be a competitive game, nor a mmo.

Just now, redspawn said:

then if you go by that, pokemon was never meant to be a competitive game, nor a mmo.

yes it was meant to be a competitive game and it was already semi-mmo with the trade and battle system and the friend system... all this is is basically the same thing except you can actually see where people are around you... I would be playing the actual pokemon games over this but a console is more money than I'm willing to pay for, which is probably why most of the players of this MMO choose this instead

39 minutes ago, techshaman said:

yes it was meant to be a competitive game and it was already semi-mmo with the trade and battle system and the friend system... all this is is basically the same thing except you can actually see where people are around you... I would be playing the actual pokemon games over this but a console is more money than I'm willing to pay for, which is probably why most of the players of this MMO choose this instead

It was never meant to be a competitive game, it just got picked up by fans of the series. Nor was it meant to be an mmo. Trading system doens't mean mmo. MMO means massive multiplayer online//(RPG) roleplaying game, pokemon by itself is a RPG and always has been, you can say it got a few online perks, like the dueling system and trade system, other than that it's a near complete offline experience.

Edited by redspawn

The main purpose of shinies is: to show off, invest in order to make profit or to expand your (OT) collection and feel proud about it.

You talk so much about IV's but the vast majority of players don't care about IV's. It's the change in colour that counts, that is visible to other players.

Changing the rate to 1 / 8192 (with donator status 1 / ~7373) would ruin the whole economy within a week.

It would punish all the existing shiny owners, many of whom would likely leave the game.

Once you completed the game, the main things you can do is pvp, hunting and trading. Ruining the economy with your idea would cause a lot of players to leave the game.

We experienced a substantial increase in MMO's playerbase which already left deep scars on the economy.

Super rare shinies are being found daily, which used to happen maybe 2-3 times a month, before the wave of new players joined the game.

Making shinies easier to be found in the wild, would make them less attractive and much cheaper to get, meaning the "purpose of bragging" would no longer exist as much.

A bit off topic, but I believe the best course of action in order to improve the economy is to lock any OT shinies, meaning they can not be traded.

In order to remove the (trading)lock, the player must complete the region, where he found the shiny at(e.g. kanto, unova, hoenn).

This would mean some less shiny trading and less newbies trading or listing their shiny for way too low.

15 hours ago, Terresa said:

The main purpose of shinies is: to show off, invest in order to make profit or to expand your (OT) collection and feel proud about it.

You talk so much about IV's but the vast majority of players don't care about IV's. It's the change in colour that counts, that is visible to other players.

Changing the rate to 1 / 8192 (with donator status 1 / ~7373) would ruin the whole economy within a week.

It would punish all the existing shiny owners, many of whom would likely leave the game.

Once you completed the game, the main things you can do is pvp, hunting and trading. Ruining the economy with your idea would cause a lot of players to leave the game.

We experienced a substantial increase in MMO's playerbase which already left deep scars on the economy.

Super rare shinies are being found daily, which used to happen maybe 2-3 times a month, before the wave of new players joined the game.

Making shinies easier to be found in the wild, would make them less attractive and much cheaper to get, meaning the "purpose of bragging" would no longer exist as much.

A bit off topic, but I believe the best course of action in order to improve the economy is to lock any OT shinies, meaning they can not be traded.

In order to remove the (trading)lock, the player must complete the region, where he found the shiny at(e.g. kanto, unova, hoenn).

This would mean some less shiny trading and less newbies trading or listing their shiny for way too low.

are you seriously saying 2 or 3 shinies a month is a good thing? lol you guys have successfully convinced me to buy a 2ds and a real pokemon game. What's really the point in playing a pokemon MMO when the only things that make it any different than a real pokemon game is the fact that you can see more people running around and use global chat? On top of that the community is a lot more toxic and closed minded. I'm done here. If I ever get to making my own pokemon MMO, I'm not going to sacrifice casual players for the sake of a an economy... I will make an effort to make everyone happy and if that means hurting the economy a little bit, communism sucks anyway