Re-balancing of Early Rivals & Gyms

NemuiTensai

Question

Recently I decided to try PokeMMO after hearing about it from some friends and played for a good 2-3 days or so with my gf.

It was her second Pokemon game overall, and I felt moderately pleased with how the game felt after picking a starter.

She gave up entirely on the game shortly after needing some of my Pokemon to beat Blue on the S.S. Anne, because she had already spent so many hours grinding and refused to go through more.

I discussed my issues with the game with more friends of mine and they all agreed it sounded incredibly unenjoyable in the early game.

From what we played of Kanto, the Rivals need at least some level of re-balancing, especially early on. Cerulean City was an absolute nightmare, with the only area to properly grind was a tiny patch of grass outside the City. The facts that Charmeleon has no proper counter early on, Blue will constantly switch if you have a counter for his Pokemon, and the lack of the Battle Style option is entirely gone makes these fights incredibly difficult. It'd be understandable around 4th or 5th gym due to the Global Link Trade, but the incredibly limited type choices early on (at least in Kanto) makes the game a nightmarish grind-fest.

On the plus side, the Gyms are structured to have super-effective Pokemon nearby that normally make them easy, and Misty is arguably easier due to her Starmie no longer having Recover.

tl;dr, lower early rival levels and reconsider AI switching

6 answers to this question

3 hours ago, NemuiTensai said:

She gave up entirely on the game shortly after needing some of my Pokemon to beat Blue on the S.S. Anne, because she had already spent so many hours grinding and refused to go through more.

May I ask which team did she have? Just curious.

The game is 100% set here. 

Rival is pretty easy to do and I'm surprised this is about rival and not gyms lmao.

tl;dr; git gud.

I don't see kanto as a potential issue here, the league + gym leaders + story is so easy to finish i did all 3 regions in 3 weeks(cuz i was annoyed by lvl restrictions LUL) and this was with 4-5 hours of playing 3-4 days a week, its just either she constructed her team in the wrong way(u may need to have a plan about how ur team would go, see the "possible" elements (electric,rock,whatnot..) and then construct a team based around that. I see so many players whining in channel chat about the game being tough, its just a dumb AI. Actual ROM games of emearld/FRLG/Black/white were way too easy and was no fun, AI makes u want to actually "think" instead of predicting almost every move easily(as in the ROMS -_- ) So basically, figure out a team plan instead of having 6 random pokes(assuming she trained random ones as you havent mentioned yet what her team was) , if SS Anne's Blue was tough dont even think about the champion youll be facing @_@ any time soon.

They dont want to make story so much easy to prevent much alt runs to easily farm gyms.

However, I agree, as player, that the bigger the game content gets, harder it is for new players beat the old ones.

Even more if sinooh is released.

In most mmos, they tends to nerf early areas to be noob friendly, but this game isnt so much.

Each region should have a attractive advantage to new players (like: unova provides early acess to breed, but npcs are harder. Kanto have easier npcs. Hoen have battle frontier (?)

1 hour ago, Risadex said:

They dont want to make story so much easy to prevent much alt runs to easily farm gyms.

However, I agree, as player, that the bigger the game content gets, harder it is for new players beat the old ones.

Even more if sinooh is released.

In most mmos, they tends to nerf early areas to be noob friendly, but this game isnt so much.

Each region should have a attractive advantage to new players (like: unova provides early acess to breed, but npcs are harder. Kanto have easier npcs. Hoen have battle frontier (?)

I totally disagree. Is anything (that is different from original handhelds) known for new player without forum account? Everything is for some reason keep a "secret" for the user. Do you really believe ppl would go read forum before starting a game to make sure region they want to start with, have anything extra to it? Right now i can image posts about "unbalanced" regions

1 minute ago, Toupi said:

I totally disagree. Is anything (that is different from original handhelds) known for new player without forum account? Everything is for some reason keep a "secret" for the user. Do you really believe ppl would go read forum before starting a game to make sure region they want to start with, have anything extra to it? Right now i can image posts about "unbalanced" regions

It could be mentioned in the start ofthe game, the balance of regions is just an example which I gave even without think so much.

The point is that this game is noob friendly and idk if they want to something about that