Similar move to False Swipe?

So I've been wondering if there is a move that is similar to False Swipe as in it leaves the opponent with at least 1 hp. I use False Swipe for catching pokemon, but Ghost type are immune and Rock and Steel are not very effective, so is there another move like False Swipe?

Dragon Rage always hits 40 damage.

Super Fang always deals 1/2 of their HP but is also a Normal type.

If you just want to catch Ghost pokemons then I highly suggest getting a Smeargle with Odor Sleuth. Once Soak works properly, hopefully in the next update, you can replace Odor Sleuth with it. It changes the pokemon's type to water making False Swipe normal effective on it.

Thanks, forgot about dragon rage! Also never really bothered with Smeargle, so didn't know anything about him (just looked him up). Looks hard to get those moves lol. 

I recently got an item called "ring target", not sure how it works, but would that possibly work?

23 hours ago, RoseFunera1 said:

So I've been wondering if there is a move that is similar to False Swipe as in it leaves the opponent with at least 1 hp. I use False Swipe for catching pokemon, but Ghost type are immune and Rock and Steel are not very effective, so is there another move like False Swipe?

there's a move called Hold Back which is just False Swipe by a different name that was given out to the Unova Starter final forms through an event among a few other pokemon, but I doubt that solves your problem.

I suggest you get a Smeargle and manage to get the following moves:
-------------------------------------------------
False Swipe
Soak
Spore
[Whatever you want here]

The move Soak will turn a pokemon's typing to pure Water, this means they will not resist / be immune to False Swipe and any Grass Type pokemon will now be able to be slept using Spore.

I hope this can solve your issue. 

On 6/19/2018 at 9:58 AM, Matoka said:

I suggest you get a Smeargle and manage to get the following moves:
False Swipe
Soak
Spore
[Whatever you want here]

I personally put the 4th slot with Taunt

Do note that Soak is not working yet.

• 2 years later...

I know very late to the topic, but have an interesting addition I wanted to add if anyone else randomly pulls this up in the future.  I've had great luck with the nightshade/seismic toss abilities that scale with your level.  It does the same damage regardless of their def stats and I consistently just found many pokemon I was hunting be chunked right into deep red zones while stuck at level cap early in games.  It's a good tool for your toolbelt if you can't breed better utility catchers like breloom/smeargles or just want someone decent at catching from within your own team 

A lot of people have mentioned Soak, but here's another method that's also useful.

Use "Trick" to put "Focus Sash" on a wild Pokémon, then attack it with any high damage skill.

Due to the effect of "Focus Sash", 1 HP will be left behind.

This way you don't have to worry about effectiveness.

Don't worry about "Focus Sash" being consumed.

The items given out through "Trick" will reappear after the battle is over.