Upcoming Update and Dungeons

If a hidden ability pill were introduced, it could come with a price tag to 'control' how players use it.

If it would cost for example anything more than 1m it would be invalid for regular comps (ensuring that players still use the mechanic to rebreed for HAs as intended) but it would be valid for any shiny comp that might be in need of a hidden ability.

Or maybe the devs want you to commit to gameplay in order to receive a hidden ability... You know, give useful meaning to new content.

It's an mmo, not a battle simulator, so expect to play the game in order to unlock features.

I'm sure there will be relatively relaxed mechanics to breed a HA pokemon to incentivize it, just wait and see.

21 minutes ago, Tyrone said:

Or maybe the devs want you to commit to gameplay in order to receive a hidden ability... You know, give useful meaning to new content.

It's an mmo, not a battle simulator, so expect to play the game in order to unlock features.

I'm sure there will be relatively relaxed mechanics to breed a HA pokemon to incentivize it, just wait and see.

If you want us to burn some cash, why not make it a non 100% drop untradeable, and dungeons requiring a fee to enter?

As I said previously, which would like you say, make you commit to the gameplay to get the HA, while mantaining a healthy challenge and not forcing people to lose their wallet to rebreed their comp boxes.

Edit: Their current solution, reminds me of E.O.C. implementation patch from Runescape, evolution of combat, that made thousands quit the game.

Edited by redspawn

As I understand it the problems with the HA Pill are as follows:

• Before all HA's are released, using a HA Pill on a pokemon which doesn't yet have its HA implemented won't do anything and may cause confusion.
  • Aquiring a HA Pill from a dungeon which for example gives out HA Charmanders and then using it on your Comp Venusaur will mean you don't ever need to enter the dungeon which gives out HA Bulbasaurs.
  • Similarly to the previous point, if HA pokemon are localised to specific parts of the dungeon, the HA pill will limit the amount of exploration you need to do within a given dungeon.

The last time this came up I pushed a suggestion which solves all 3 of these points, which is to implement NPC's which will swap the ability of a specifc species line, in the same areas as those pokemon appear in the dungeon. The benefits of using this method are as follows:

1.  The NPC's are released simultaneously with the HA's that they give out, meaning there will never be an instance of confusion trying to upgrade a non HA mon with them.
  2.  The NPC's exist in the same dungeon which give out the HA mon that they give out the HA for, meaning you will still be required to enter and progress through the same dungeons you would have to normally in order to unlock a HA in this way.
  3. The NPC's would be located in the patch of terrain in which the HA mons wild encounter spawns, meaning that you will infact have to explore and find the exact same area in order to unlock a HA this way.
  4. Adds extra difficulty to the dungeon for anyone using this method over breeding since you are required to bring the HA mon with you to the NPC.

For concerns about how this can be implemented in a lore friendly and easy to understand manner, please see this screenshot mockup:

afzk2kF.png

Obviously the 100k figure is subject to change.

Here is a link to the last time I posted the suggestion, at that time Kyu made many nonsensical arguements against the idea which I will address here:

1: Since breeding HA mons costs more than breeding non-HA mons, this will save players money.

Not true, breeding HA mons and non HA mons cost almost exactly the same. For example if you want to breed a comp dragonite without a HA you go to the safari zone and catch a female dratini and breed it with a lot of magikarp. If you want to breed a comp dragonite with a HA you go to the dungeon which gives out HA dratini and breed that with a lot of magikarp. The HA variable can ride on top of any other variable (Nature, Gender, IV's), that is why it doesnt add anything to breeding costs.

2: The NPC implementation is convoluted.

NPC's which can change your pokemon exist in the game already in the form of specific move tutors. (Give me 2 Black Belts to teach a pokemon Seismic Toss), as well as existing in the original handheld games. As you can see from the above screenshot the way I implement this is extremely similar, easy to understand and by no stretch convoluted.

3: The 100k Price tag could be worth a lot of value one day and hardly any the next due to economic changes.

Since there is already a necessity to keep the economy in balance for all of the other flat price tags in the game (pokeballs, repels, IV braces...), this price tag is no different. Additionally I in no way suggested that the price must be 100k.

He made other points but they made even less sense, if you want me to address one in particular or have a valid critisism of the idea of your own please speak out.

Edited by Alouu
2 hours ago, redspawn said:

As I said previously, which would like you say, make you commit to the gameplay to get the HA, while mantaining a healthy challenge and not forcing people to lose their wallet to rebreed their comp boxes.

Edit: Their current solution, reminds me of E.O.C. implementation patch from Runescape, evolution of combat, that made thousands quit the game.

They wont release all dungeons at the same time, so we dont need to spent our wallets.

I had a similar opinion, about the need to rebreed most of comps with new hidden abilities.

That happened with unova because the tons of eggmoves which it provides in release, but with dungeons it won't be happening.

I am asking all final offsprings which can need new HA's MALE,  so it can rebreed at the cost of a a 4x with nature and HA, which probably wont be so hard to obtain...

9 hours ago, Darkshade said:

We're in discussions about tournament prizes (past and future), but nothing has been confirmed yet and I can't make any promises at this time.

My shiny quagsire and Xatu cries we want HA pill or help on getting on our prizes HA that way they wont be useless.

9 hours ago, Darkshade said:

We have opted to save Hidden Abilities for dungeons, and will release a them in separate groups (depending on what is appropriate for the dungeon).

Players will then be required to adventure into the dungeon to catch these Hidden Ability 'mon and use them in the breeding process to apply a Hidden Ability to their existing teams.

why u put unova before sinnoh, just a serius question

On 6/13/2018 at 6:43 PM, Takens said:

We are about to get into this huge patch/update where the first dungeon will released. 

I think the first dungeon is at least 2 months out from this post, so we will have at least one mechanics update out prior, to finish up skills/etc, and to probably work on refining PvP/PvE a bit more.

Right now, I'm not working on it, but other people are. Development will move faster once we're done with our skill/ability/item/android obligations, and I can refocus on it

Has the staff member decided on which way would they like to take this one on?

It has been in development for a few months, yeah. We are working on mapping it out atm

Also how are the dungeon going to work last Xmas  we had something like  dungeon will we have to link with another player in order to get into this new dungeons too?

At the moment, we are aiming to make it both 1P / 2P, with incentives for 2P. An earlier iteration was necessitating 2P, but eventually I ended up scrapping that, somewhat because of the negative feedback around the Christmas event

It won't really "feel" like anything else in the game, because we're going to be changing some important things, like resource management and how NPCs function in order to suit the gameplay. There are a lot of gameplay concepts which I'd like to play with in this one which should make it very different compared to the base game.

Will Kyu find a way to stabilize the economy? 

I'm not really sure what this means, but go long on lucky eggs

22 hours ago, Takens said:

This is not getting anywhere, @Kyu, @Darkshade and @Desu can you guys answer my questions?

I didn't read this thread very well, but please feel free to @ me with questions if you want

Edited by Kyu

1. @Kyu i know probably staff don't care about the shiny comps we won in the pass, but is there a posibility for us to get hidden abilities with the help of you guys on them? after all is something that we actually like and we earned not so easily.

People might say its easy to win a shiny comps, but it really is not since most of the time we can't count on RNG on our favor and it is sad to make those shinies we earned useless.

2. The economy is pretty bad as you can see. The items in GTL are being devaluated to 1/3 of its original price.

3.What kind of things can we expect from the upcoming dungeons? i wish we could get a sneak peack on the work that has been done like an image or something since i find it kind of cool

how people works on that kind of stuff.

3 hours ago, Takens said:

1. @Kyu i know probably staff don't care about the shiny comps we won in the pass, but is there a posibility for us to get hidden abilities with the help of you guys on them? after all is something that we actually like and we earned not so easily.

People might say its easy to win a shiny comps, but it really is not since most of the time we can't count on RNG on our favor and it is sad to make those shinies we earned useless.

Sorry, it's not really my call to make. The GMs/Admins have talked about it briefly, but never reached consensus on what to do. I think most leaned towards not wanting to have staff intervention to upgrade existing prizes, but there was never a concrete decision made, since HA functionality in-game aren't done yet.

For future readers: This response has some context which should be clarified:

• This person is asking about a case where, if we only allow HAs on newly caught species, whether the staff would consider adding HAs to old competitive prizes by GM intervention. Because general HA distribution methods are currently undecided, we can not give a good answer to this question.

2. The economy is pretty bad as you can see. The items in GTL are being devaluated to 1/3 of its original price.

I can say a lot on the topic of video game economies, but I think you have a fundamental misunderstanding of how pricing and inflation works in-game. There is no "original price" if we do not make an NPC sell the item. It is what players sell it for, and what players are willing to pay for it.

For example, let's take a look at Everstones: We can tweak the rates, but if the player count goes up dramatically and the item is generally available throughout the storyline, market instability will occur regardless of what we set rates at, because the item's target demographic is much smaller/different than who are farming it. That's not something we can "solve", nor would we want to, because it builds economic relationships between different gameplay types (farming/stat refinement). We can give the item more uses to encourage consumption or change its availability, but kneejerk economy changes are usually a Bad Idea.

Infact, every "valuable" object in-game which does not degrade (e.g. your shinies/comps), and has an infinite supply given time, will trend towards saturation and price reduction. The only real way to protect wealth stored in non-degradable items in an MMO is by using items which are limited by the game itself ("Limited Edition" hats, event-exclusive cosmetics, etc.)

The above is why we release periodic "expansions" to content, like what we were hoping to do with HAs, and will do with Sinnoh. Since it protects the economy by creating degradation in gear quality, even if it causes short-term grief, it is better for the game's long-term economy as a whole.

Anyway, on a less down note, all of the consumable economy is meant to feed back into Dungeons, since it provides natural incentives to refine stats/breed, consume healing items, etc. So when we get those functional, it should be in a better place.

3.What kind of things can we expect from the upcoming dungeons? i wish we could get a sneak peack on the work that has been done like an image or something since i find it kind of cool

how people works on that kind of stuff.

You get to punch some really hard bosses with your friends

Edit: I submitted this early by accident, so I hid it temporarily while writing the rest.

Edited by Kyu

@Kyu So is there still a posibility for our shinies won on tournaments to get HA if staff wants to help on it through the time?

Last, but no least Thank you for your time answering all my questions.

Edited by Takens
14 minutes ago, Takens said:

@Noad @RacheLucario ........ idk the other GM's, but i know they love to help people.

Sorry, I misspoke. It is @Squirtle's responsibility as to whether event prizes get retroactively updated.

We are not sure how the game is going to implement retroactive HAs at this time, or whether they're going to be strictly for new species, so it's not something we can give you a good answer to right now.

Edited by Kyu
1 hour ago, Kyu said:

Sorry, I misspoke. It is @Squirtle's responsibility as to whether event prizes get retroactively updated.

We are not sure how the game is going to implement retroactive HAs at this time, or whether they're going to be strictly for new species, so it's not something we can give you a good answer to right now.

This was like giving candy to a kid and then taking it away. ;-; feels bad man i was happy already.

24 minutes ago, Willah said:

@Kyu Any news regarding legendaries? Are they gonna arrive with the new dungeons or are we gonna have to wait the next ones?

I might misinterpret what you are asking for, but basically the "news" is anything said about the dungeon as the (presumably one) legendary is supposed to be released with its dungeon as I understand it

29 minutes ago, Anthrazit said:

I might misinterpret what you are asking for, but basically the "news" is anything said about the dungeon as the (presumably one) legendary is supposed to be released with its dungeon as I understand it

Dunno, it seems the first dungeon that's coming out is gonna be about HA and not legendaries.