[IPS] Touhoumon Forgotten Puppet Fantasy

Welcome to our Rom hack page for our Touhoumon game, Touhou Forgotten Puppet Fantasy!  Here, we are combining two of our favorite things, Pokemon and Touhou, to create a fun and enjoyable game that combines the characters of the Touhou Project into the play style of Pokemon.  This is a new endeavor for most of us, and will be a learning experience for all involved as most of us have not made a ROM hack before, and none of us have made one to this scale.  If you want to join our discord server and see how we are coming along, then feel free to use this link https://discord.gg/uXKeVF4 to join and have a look around.  

Here is our current map for the Hakurei Shrine:

Hakurei_Shrine.png?width=375&height=300

If you would like to join us as we make this dream into a reality, then ask one of the admins and tell us what part of the project you would like to help with.  Currently, we are specifically looking for people who are able to help with Scripting, music editing, and currently our biggest need, sprite editing.

Admins on the Discord server to contact if any assistance is needed:

LordKai1(The Addict) Head of the project

The Butterfly Fairy(The Butterfly) Assistant to The Addict

Gremlin(The Komainu) Head of story mapping and writing

About Touhoumon in general:

Q. What is touhoumon?
A. Pokémon but with Touhou characters instead of Pokémon, often the Pokémon replacements themselves will be dolls, thus being the reason that there are so many of each character.

Q. What is “Touhou"?
A. Touhou is a bullet hell(Danmaku) game created by ZUN where most of the characters are female and have a basis in Japanese mythology.

Q. So... Pokémon as cute little girls?

A. Mostly, yeah.  Exceptions are made for male characters

About the IPS patch:

Q. How do I install the patch?
A. Download the latest version of the IPS file and use Lunar IPS (or any other similar patcher) to patch your "clean" (unmodified) English (US) version of Pokémon Fire Red.  That's all there is to it.

Q. I patched it, but it doesn't work right.  What did I do wrong?
A. This sort of problem comes up very frequently, and 99.9% of the time, the problem is from using a corrupted/modified/wrong version of the ROM.  Find the correct version of Fire Red and try again.

Q. What exactly does the patch change?
A. All of the Pokemon battle sprites (both front and back) menu icons, map layout, story, music, pokedex entries, moves, pretty much anything we can.

Q. So, can I catch <insert Touhou character here>?
A. If they are in the games, then yes, we are including all characters from Highly Responsive to Prayers through Hidden Star in Four Seasons and Antinomy of Common Flowers.  If they are in a print work, then possibly, we will be including some characters from the print works, but not necessarily all of them.

Q. Does the patch work with PokeMMO?
A. we do not know, we are still in the very early stages of development.

About spriting:

Q. I found some sprites online, can you use them?
A. Maybe.  Feel free to share them with us.

Q. I'd like to help with drawing sprites.  How do I get started?
A. Find a sprite that needs to be revamped and use your favorite image editor to work on it.

Q. What image editing software should I use?
A. Anything that lets you pick colors, draw single pixels and save as png files.  MS Paint, Paint.Net, Gimp, Photoshop,

etc.  Whatever you feel most comfortable using.

Q. What are the technical specifications of a sprite?
A. The front and back sprites are each 64x64 pixels.  While it doesn't matter how many colors you use while working on a sprite, no more than 16 colors, including the background color, can be used for the final image that will be imported into the game/put into the patch.  This is due to a technical limitation of the GBA.  It is a good idea to keep that color limit in mind while working on a sprite.  The shiny variation of each Pokemon must be identical to the normal variation, but has a separate 16 color palette.  A full set of sprites for one Pokemon would be a 256x64 image with 4 sprites from left to right: normal front, shiny front, normal back, and shiny back.

Q. What's the difference between the front sprite and the back sprite?
A. The front sprite typically shows the front of the Pokemon.  This is the opposing one you see on the right side of the

battle screen in-game.  The back sprite typically shows the back of the Pokemon.  It is the one on the left side of the

battle screen in-game that's on your team.  The back sprite can have cutoff at the bottom, in other words, the image looks like it continues farther down, but doesn't.  The bottom of the back sprite will be covered by the attack menu in-game.

Q. How do I share my work?
A. Save your image as a png file and upload it to your favorite image sharing website (tinypic, imgur, postimg,

photobucket, etc.)  To make it easier for others to see the details, double the size of the image from 64x64 to 128x128 before uploading it.  Use img tags in your forum post with the link to the image.

Q. I'm not good at drawing pixel art.  Is there anything else I can do to help?
A. there is a variety of things that we need help with in each area, any skills you bring to the table and any constructive criticism would be welcome.

(FAQ inspired by and modeled after the one on the Moemon Fire Red Revival Project  (RE:START) https://forums.pokemmo.eu/index.php?/topic/40418-ips-moemon-fire-red-revival-project-restart/ )

We would love to hear from you and welcome any feedback that you have to share with us on what we have.  

Edited by TheButterflyFairy