Ways to reduce non-English chat in English chat

ShuanTRG

Question

1. Give an option for the language use for people who just downloaded the client.

2. Add a filter to move people who use too much non-English characters in the English chat.

I hope this gets resolved because the chat is 50% Chinese spam and 50% Complains about Chinese spam lately. This is enough for someone to quit the game knowing that the chat is not really active.

I hope the devs will finally realise what a big problem this is for players. I spend half my time playing blocking this spam. I know plenty of people who stopped playing because the chat is either Chinese or salty.

The whole community part of pokemmo has gone downhill immensely and it feels like staff is not doing anything. We know mods are busy with real life stuff when the problem is most present, but nothing seems to be done about it outside of occasionally moving them to Chinese chat and telling players to "just block" the Chinese spam. Neither of those "solutions" solve anything on long term at all.

The suggestions above have been suggested in-game on many occasions. I'm glad Shuan took the initiative of posting them here as well. Words like "sell" also don't send in Channel or Global chats, instead, you get a warning you should take it to trade chat, even if it's not about trade at all. Maybe that's how it can be done with Chinese/other Asian characters as well?

Hallo, I was going to make a separate post but it seems Shuan beat me to this so I'm just gonna dump what I was going to post right here:

So for a while I've noticed that we have had an issue with the Chinese speaking users flooding the English chat with Chinese because they have not swapped over their language. I get it, it's not on purpose. The problem is that most do not understand English, which means we have no way of telling them to change their settings. In this thread I have two suggestions for dealing with this.

1. Lets force new characters to select their languages upon character creation, and perhaps somehow combine the used languages. At least have everyone select one language for both, and have additional languages added as they currently are able to be added. I think that this should be a really basic function for new characters, but I get the game is in a beta.
    1. Tldr; have a setting that forces people to pick at least one language at the start of the game, to avoid this.
    2. By having the first chat language be the same as the language for their own channel chat, this helps keep it all in one place and the language overflow would really only happen if they rushed in selecting the language or are doing it on purpose.

2. Have consequences for violating this rule; We could have a filter set up that makes it so that if too many foreign characters are detected (i.e., too many non-English characters are used in the [Eng] chat) then the person receives a warning via system message, telling them in their language that they "are using the wrong chat". If they continue, it could be followed by a temporary mute. Something like that, and it's not really weird to have filters of the sort in other games; I mean, we already have an anti-spam filter.

Please post any further suggestions so that we can address this properly. It's a bit pointless to have separate chats as an option if they get flooded by other non-designated languages anyways.

Just now, Norriac said:

Hallo, I was going to make a separate post but it seems Shuan beat me to this so I'm just gonna dump what I was going to post right here:

Please post any further suggestions so that we can address this properly. It's a bit pointless to have separate chats as an option if they get flooded by other non-designated languages anyways.

I almost forgot, a third suggestion given by somebody in the chat is to have moderators set for those time periods and having them be people that live in those timezones so that they can help address these issues. At least have a report button to be able to vote-mute spammers/call attention to mods/admins. These are my two cents. Thanks!

3 minutes ago, Bearminator said:

Just to add to last post- There is report button,  its called support request

Hello. Thanks for the reply! Ah yes, I see it now, but I don't feel it's clear enough as to what exactly it's intended for. I thought it was mainly for game bugs.

I meant a dedicated report button either on the chat box or as one of the options shown when you right click somebody's name in the chat. That way if someone gets reported enough times the reported person could maybe get auto-muted until a mod arrives to sort it out. At least muted from the specific chat.

OH YEAH. Why not just add a freature where you report a person for chatting in the wrong location and if they are reported x number of times within x minutes they get muted SPECIFICALLY from that language's chat?

41 minutes ago, Bearminator said:

Literally takes hours for the report to be handled, in that time 34 more Chinese people flood the chat. 

3 hours ago, Bearminator said:

To be more specific - you can always use option to report Player and make us aware that chat is filled with other languages.

Is it really that hard to just watch chat? You need players to point out whenever there's an issue in the chat?

3 hours ago, Bearminator said:

With all due respect, but that still doesn't solve the issue. I've gotten this reply from a mod when talking about it before: "when we're online, we move them, otherwise just block them".

It's not like staff doesn't know this is a massive issue for everyone. It's not like it's something that started happening today.

People are done with it because it feels like staff just don't care about the community. It doesn't look like they're trying to come up with a long term solution at all. Reporting people will not help because everyone already knows this is an issue and it's not suddenly going to make them disappear.

EDIT: again, I mean no disrespect. I know staff are busy and they're probably doing more than we can see. However, it's just not working. This is beyond what most staff can do, this is a responsibility of the developers, and it would be nice if something was finally done about it.

Edited by Haxtratus
56 minutes ago, Haxtratus said:

With all due respect, but that still doesn't solve the issue. I've gotten this reply from a mod when talking about it before: "when we're online, we move them, otherwise just block them".

It's not like staff doesn't know this is a massive issue for everyone. It's not like it's something that started happening today.

People are done with it because it feels like staff just don't care about the community. It doesn't look like they're trying to come up with a long term solution at all. Reporting people will not help because everyone already knows this is an issue and it's not suddenly going to make them disappear.

EDIT: again, I mean no disrespect. I know staff are busy and they're probably doing more than we can see. However, it's just not working. This is beyond what most staff can do, this is a responsibility of the developers, and it would be nice if something was finally done about it.

I don't want you to think I feel disrespected for you having other point of view, not at all, don't worry

Our Staff members have other tasks to fill as well. That's why quick report is good- it brings attention, gives time to stop doing what they need to do and focus on chat for a while. 

While I understand it's not ideal solution, I don't agree that voting system is 

4 hours ago, Norriac said:

OH YEAH. Why not just add a freature where you report a person for chatting in the wrong location and if they are reported x number of times within x minutes they get muted SPECIFICALLY from that language's chat?

This sounds awful and can be abused easily. 

4 hours ago, Norriac said:

But what about people like Daryl who can’t speak any language to an understable degree

He’d be muted every 30 seconds no matter what language channel he’s in

8 hours ago, ImFunk said:

This sounds awful and can be abused easily. 

8 hours ago, Bearminator said:

I don't want you to think I feel disrespected for you having other point of view, not at all, don't worry

Our Staff members have other tasks to fill as well. That's why quick report is good- it brings attention, gives time to stop doing what they need to do and focus on chat for a while. 

While I understand it's not ideal solution, I don't agree that voting system is 

I figured as much, I don't intend it to be as much of a serious suggestion as the first two.  There are ways to avoid the abuse that comes with it but I agree that it's too potentially problematic. I agree though that it's not really a viable solution; I'm just throwing out ideas. 

I would appreciate it if you considered the first two points I mentioned in my first post, though, and not really the third one. Thanks! And thanks for a fun game, I know you guys are doing what you can; I just think that maybe with some in-game optimization (Choosing language at character creation, a more accessible report option) we could cut the mods some slack.

On 5/24/2018 at 12:08 PM, Bearminator said:

Ok look, i know u're proud of that fucking button but by the time a staff member even sees that report, the incursion will be over, damage will be dealt, people will be tilted and the confused staff member will start cleaning up whats left of the damn thing. Its not and never will be a concrete solution, let it go.

Do language chat ban, ban those trolls from EN chat and vice versa. Its the only way

Edited by Malorne

the Chinese invade us D:

they should assign a chat language depending on the country of the ip of each computer, and thus save the moderators work, but it is something that will never be plowed, it only remains to block everyone who spam or does not change to appropriate chat for your

18 hours ago, Squirtle said:

As other staff have stated please use the ingame reporting feature to make Mods aware of chat language misuse and we will handle it accordingly.

the report function we have now is mainly useless i tried it about 10 time got not a single anwser about 70% of the time, got told they cannot do anything 20% of the time and actually got the invader out of the english chat about 10% of the time. sure go ahead and say my test sample is too small but it seems i am not the only that got such result for that near useless report fonction.

and in case you want another way to handle the problem just give every player with lets say 1k hour in game the power to change other's language in chat. fear the abuse? remove the power of those that have been reported to troll with it this will be much less pressure on the staff than the actual invader situation. want to avoid people trolling under the radar with that? make that show in chat for everyone (in the same chat) with the name of who was moved and who moved him. i am sure that i am not the only one that has no interest in being staff but would gladly help to clean the street of those anoying invader.

2 hours ago, ThePrettyPetard said:

the report function we have now is mainly useless i tried it about 10 time got not a single anwser about 70% of the time, got told they cannot do anything 20% of the time and actually got the invader out of the english chat about 10% of the time. sure go ahead and say my test sample is too small but it seems i am not the only that got such result for that near useless report fonction.

and in case you want another way to handle the problem just give every player with lets say 1k hour in game the power to change other's language in chat. fear the abuse? remove the power of those that have been reported to troll with it this will be much less pressure on the staff than the actual invader situation. want to avoid people trolling under the radar with that? make that show in chat for everyone (in the same chat) with the name of who was moved and who moved him. i am sure that i am not the only one that has no interest in being staff but would gladly help to clean the street of those anoying invader.

Yes such a proportional response: some kids are typing strange letters in the chat, we should make everyone a mod!

If you don't think that would just end up being even more of a headache on staff then you're living in a fantasy world 

30 minutes ago, Gunthug said:

Yes such a proportional response: some kids are typing strange letters in the chat, we should make everyone a mod!

If you don't think that would just end up being even more of a headache on staff then you're living in a fantasy world 

oh don't worry i see how this could be a headache for the staff team at least at the start but once the initial troll get their power removed the rest of the people could make a big difference on the amount of work the staff team has and make the game more enjoyable. also i am not saying to make everyone a mod just to give the old player 1 single power (moving people to their respective chat).

for your argument about proportion you probably don't use the chat much or you would have seen that we have a pretty damn high number of chinese invader at nearly all time even at a dead hour i can rarely see one hour pass without a single chinese invader. the previous issue we had we spanish invader just seems like a joke compared with what we have with the chinese now

if you don't mind, i would like if you could be more constructive in your comments since from previous argumentation with you, you tend to laugh at people like you are some bigshot rather than making an actual argumentation.

thank you in advance.

17 hours ago, Walerito said:

the Chinese invade us D:

they should assign a chat language depending on the country of the ip of each computer, and thus save the moderators work, but it is something that will never be plowed, it only remains to block everyone who spam or does not change to appropriate chat for your

Vpns bypass this making it unviable. Filters can be bypassed. Manual intervention is the best solution. We do our best but we can only be in so many places. From what I see in game we receive very few reports about incorrect chat language compared to the number of complaints of other bad behavior. Please use the report functions so we can look into the issue.

27 minutes ago, XelaKebert said:

Vpns bypass this making it unviable. Filters can be bypassed. Manual intervention is the best solution. We do our best but we can only be in so many places. From what I see in game we receive very few reports about incorrect chat language compared to the number of complaints of other bad behavior. Please use the report functions so we can look into the issue.

make it be a contry default language by using ip and you will solve most of the issue and your concern for vpn is ridiculous has it would make only a few people avoid the default proper language wich could be handled by the staff team manually but for now manual intervention from the staff ISN'T the best solution. people reporting get their request left hanging for a while half the time. and you know what? they are long and a pain in the ass to do and we have to do them just to remind the staff to do their job... this is just a waste of time for everyone.

edit: the slogan of this game is "no bullshit just game" but if we follow what the staff says it's: no fun just anoyment! nice way to disrespect what should be the biggest rule for the staff

Edited by ThePrettyPetard