PokeMMO Battle Association - Discussion thread - Also donation thread

15 minutes ago, DoctorPBC said:

Just saying, you mentioned the top player in each league moves on to the final... I am 100% guaranteeing certain players will just give up after a few weeks should they have a couple lost games if thats the case. Probably need a way to prevent that

I gotta agree this is going to be an issue. Just think back to the autumn nu series. Players just didn't show and it ruined the event up until the finale.

34 minutes ago, DoctorPBC said:

Just saying, you mentioned the top player in each league moves on to the final... I am 100% guaranteeing certain players will just give up after a few weeks should they have a couple lost games if thats the case. Probably need a way to prevent that

17 minutes ago, DoubleJ said:

I gotta agree this is going to be an issue. Just think back to the autumn nu series. Players just didn't show and it ruined the event up until the finale.

My way of dealing with that is Swiss system. Swiss will give you opponents every round from near your rating that you haven't played against yet. It would really suck that a game with a lot in the line a player would end up getting a free win because opponent didn't want to show up, which could easily happen in a Round Robin system if a high rated player faces someone who lost their chances to qualify to final stage. Luckily in Swiss system high rated players would only face other high rated players in the last rounds which means both players have incentive to play their match and therefor the only matches that really have a risk of having drop outs is between the players who don't have a chance to qualify but those matches aren't a factor anyways.

Edited by OrangeManiac
2 hours ago, DoubleJ said:

How do you plan on orchestrating the draft order? 

Do you mean how the draft order is decided or? If you mean that, RNGsus. Currently I have no other way considered, besides that it's gonna be snake draft to keep "some" balance.

If you mean how do I orchestrate all of this, if I don't personally host the draft I'll make an Excel sheet were the draft orders have been determined and whoever runs the draft just marks what Pokemon a certain player drafted.

After consideration, I decided that I will allow only the first 48-60 (exact number not yet decided) sign ups to participate in the first season of PBA. This is because otherwise the workload is just way too big for me to handle. Unlike in PSL, every player who gets in for this tournament gets to play which means I have to update everything from each player weekly which means there's a lot of work to do. I'm open to the idea of co-hosts but in order to not get things too messy, I'll prefer to keep the amount of hosts to the minimum what is required (so currently only Bluebreath but I'm open to hear if you're volunteering to help). I'm currently planning 4 divisions for PBA containing either 12 or 14 player, each division have their own draft. The winner of each division will win a prize and the winner and the top 4 of each division will move on to the final stage of the tournament to compete for the title of a grand champion and the biggest share of prize pool. The whole event (if you make it to the end) lasts about 2 months from the first game to the end but you need to play only 1 match per week.

If you missed the sign ups, don't worry. You will be given priority for signups for any upcoming seasons to make sure everyone gets to try this event. But, I will announce the start time of registration in advance so no one misses it by not knowing.

By the way, I'd hope you would only sign up if you consider being available for the whole 2 months but I'm not going on a punishing spree if this doesn't happen. However, if someone blatantly signs up only to purposely take a spot of a player who would have wanted to play I may prevent that player from playing in upcoming seasons.

Also I will need moderation help so I could have a section for PBA in the Club section. Let me know if you're interested.

That's all I can think for now. I have a couple of irl projects I need to finish in next 5 days but after that I'll start posting things.

Edited by OrangeManiac
derp
18 hours ago, Suneet said:

When's the signups?

Alright, might as well give an exact time now. I'll open up the signup thread Friday 18th May at 4 PM EST. A player may submit 1 sign up post behalf of their friend, granted that player did ask to get signed up. So better ask for buddies to help now if you know you can't be there for sign ups. The information in signup post will contain following:

Player name:

Timezone:

Preferred date of draft: 25th/26th/27th May or 1st/2nd/3rd of June

Do I think I can be active for the duration of this event (~ 2,5 months): Yes/No **

[Optional]: Team name***

*Bold the dates that are preferred for you and mention the dates that absolutely do not work for you at all

** I will give priority to players in signups that consider they can be active but if something happens and player just announces they need to drop out of the tournament then no punishments will be given whatsoever, we're cool, don't worry

*** In GBA, people generally give a name for their team they're battling with - usually influenced by sports teams. This is entirely optional and can be generated at any time but if someone signs up with a team name then no other player can claim the same team name after that.

Edited by OrangeManiac

Okay, I'll explain how the draft works now as well. 

Basically, the point of the draft is that you have 1000 credits and you need to draft a team from the pre-determined price pool while you cannot draft a Pokemon someone else drafted already. (In original GBA you needed to have X amount of Pokemon from each draft tier but I won't enforce this rule because this season draft pools are too small and that would tie people up too much with late draft position). I will randomize the draft order. It's entirely luck based, I'm sorry, I don't have any other way. However, the draft will be snake draft so at least that balances it out a little bit. The auction will happen in PokeMMO forums. (First I thought I need club section for it but as I have only 4 divisions I don't think I will be littering the comp. alley too much with 4 draft threads so it's fine).

Every player has 5 minutes of "private" time from the announcement that it's their turn to draft before the next player is allowed to draft. If someone misses their draft pick they can still post their round's draft pick late, as long as no one else drafted the Pokemon they wished to draft. I realize that 5 minutes isn't a lot of time but because a lot of Pokemon will be drafted, this is to prevent the draft from lasting too long. I'd really wish you wouldn't even use the whole 5 minutes and just posted immediately if you have your Pokemon decided so we can finish it as soon as possible.

You're allowed to use a representative (or multiple representatives) to draft behalf of you if you can't make it there. If so, you need to announce this in advance.

I hope I explained everything clearly, there will be official posts about all of this but feel free to ask already if something is unclear.

** Each player is allowed to draft up to 8 Pokemon, minimum of 6. 

Edited by OrangeManiac
9 minutes ago, DoubleJ said:

@OrangeManiac

We draft only 6 mons correct? And we use that team throughout the entire season, being able to change sets between each match?

Minimum of 6 Pokemon but everyone can draft up to 8 Pokemon. Each week the player must select 6 Pokemon from those 8 to battle with. Everyone's team will be public information (obviously, because it's a public draft) but I'll make a table where you can easily see what Pokemon your opponent has. And correct, you can change sets between rounds of the same specie (so nature, moves, EVs, everything). There's no "battle box lock" like in VGC, for example.