What about the MMOBA?

Hello there,

so psl is over and before the next one can even happen theres things that have to be figured out. Yet, and i hope im not alone on that, the game lacks action when it comes to comp. The tournament schedule is dead and even if it wasnt, theres no hype. Watching the gba on youtube and knowing psl was a smogon rip-off as well, i had the idea to just adopt the format for our game, since it seemed pretty cool to me.

For those who dont know what gba is:

draft of season 6

So theres set pools of mons that competitors can draft from. The rosters people draft are known and participants will battle it out on a weekly basis, being able to prep for the roster they will face. Could be organised as some kind of team event, but since psl is all about squads battling it out, i thought a single competitor format would be cool.

I guess theres more specifics that can be worked out, but this thread, for now, is all about checking if people would even be interested in a format like that. Also, there would have to be people, who are into theorymoning, so we´d have tiered pools to draft from AND last but not least, we´d need a host. I´ve already been talking this over with @OrangeManiac who can imagine to take on a role as a co-host, so we dont start at zero.

So ye, what you guys think; good idea; bad idea; would you wanna see something like that happen; would you like to take part in that?

Would love to see something like this happen. Of course it wont be on the grand level as psl because of the limited amount of players this offers it is still worth a try imo. My biggest concern would be the tiering of pokes, will there be a council to rank them? Our meta isnt complete and constantly evolving so hearing peoples opinions on where certain pokemon will land may contradict one another. The lack of competitive updates is killing the reason to even log on, atleast with an active event like this we would have a reason to breed multiple and creative sets to teambuild every week.

Im down to participate and help donate if you do decide to make it happen.

so tldr; it's basically like psl but the manager is playing? and instead of drafting players he drafts pokes?

then he teambuilds a team of 6 among those 11 or so pokes he drafted?

sounds lit

if you draft say starmie, can you use different starmie sets throughout different battles?

26 minutes ago, Eggplant said:

so tldr; it's basically like psl but the manager is playing? and instead of drafting players he drafts pokes?

sounds lit

if you draft say starmie, can you use different starmie sets throughout different battles?

ye. which makes it annoying for something like mmo.  not to speak for everyone, but whos got time to breed 6 mons a week.

53 minutes ago, aftershocker said:

My biggest concern would be the tiering of pokes, will there be a council to rank them? Our meta isnt complete and constantly evolving so hearing peoples opinions on where certain pokemon will land may contradict one another.

ye, we would need some sort of tier council for this in order to have pools. tough to rate mons i guess, but im confident theres people capable of doing it. question is if theyd want to do it.

25 minutes ago, Eggplant said:

exactly.

22 minutes ago, DeadGorilla said:

ye. which makes it annoying for something like mmo.  not to speak for everyone, but whos got time to breed 6 mons a week.

while i see how this can be annoying itd give you a reason to actually breed mons and theres always the option to borrow mons.