The Case for Level Caps

The Case for Level Caps

628da1551d30bdef6dee6f3e18425be8.png

Good evening fellow citizens of PokeMMO, I hope everyone is doing well. On the forums, there was a man that made a post about Level Caps and how "stupid" they are. I think they are far from stupid, perhaps, a very kind gesture from the Developers of PokeMMO. Back in the original games, do you remember the frustration of your pokemon not following orders, sleeping, hurting itself, etc? If I can relay a story to everyone, back when I played Pokemon LeafGreen on my Gameboy Advance, it was frustrating to see Venusaur disobey me time and time again. All I did was raise it, but no level cap. I would often times skip the Gym Leader's speech and continue my adventure. Boy did I pay for not listening to the speech of the Gym Leader I defeated. Nowadays, we have a Level Cap. PokeMMO is like Neil Armstrong with the level caps. Here is my guess on how the conversation went down:

The PokeMMO Developers: "Players are complaining about pokemon not obeying them, lets give them a Level Cap mechanic!"

Bestfriends: "That's one small step for a player, one giant leap for playerkind."

No need to read Gym Leader's speeches, I want to continue my adventure! On the Roy Rogers Walkthrough channel, I read the dialog of each trainer and gym leader due to my video being a walkthrough otherwise I would not read the speech. 

Edited by Bestfriends
clarification
6 minutes ago, Bestfriends said:

Back in the original games, do you remember the frustration of your pokemon not following orders, sleeping, hurting itself, etc? If I can relay a story to everyone, back when I played Pokemon LeafGreen on my Gameboy Advance, it was frustrating to see Venusaur disobey me time and time again. All I did was raise it, but no level cap.

You do know pokemon in the cartridge games only disobeyed you if they didn't originate from your game and were instead traded in, right?

3 minutes ago, Senile said:

You do know pokemon in the cartridge games only disobeyed you if they didn't originate from your game and were instead traded in, right?

Memories can be quite foggy for me, but I seem to remember fighting my Venusaur's attitude until I got the badge.

Edited by Bestfriends
Maybe I got Venusaur from another game perhaps, but it is still nice to have a Level cap.
1 hour ago, Bestfriends said:

The Case for Level Caps

628da1551d30bdef6dee6f3e18425be8.png

Good evening fellow citizens of PokeMMO, I hope everyone is doing well. On the forums, there was a man that made a post about Level Caps and how "stupid" they are. I think they are fair from stupid, perhaps, a very kind gesture from the Developers of PokeMMO. Back in the original games, do you remember the frustration of your pokemon not following orders, sleeping, hurting itself, etc? If I can relay a story to everyone, back when I played Pokemon LeafGreen on my Gameboy Advance, it was frustrating to see Venusaur disobey me time and time again. All I did was raise it, but no level cap. I would often times skip the Gym Leader's speech and continue my adventure. Boy did I pay for not listening to the speech of the Gym Leader I defeated. Nowadays, we have a Level Cap. PokeMMO is like Neil Armstrong with the level caps. Here is my guess on how the conversation went down:

The PokeMMO Developers: "Players are complaining about pokemon not obeying them, lets give them a Level Cap mechanic!"

Bestfriends: "That's one small step for a player, one giant leap for playerkind."

No need to read Gym Leader's speeches, I want to continue my adventure! On the Roy Rogers Walkthrough channel, I read the dialog of each trainer and gym leader due to my video being a walkthrough otherwise I would not read the speech. 

Pokemmo was like this before the "level cap" was introduced.

Imo having pokes obey you in battle is faaar better then having too high a level pokes disobey during a battle.

21 hours ago, Senile said:

Are you sure? Did it happen for every pokemon game or just FR/LR? I'm pretty sure my typhlosion started disobeying me in crystal when I overleveled it

19 hours ago, Munya said:

Is it true that you paid Senile to not come forward with more info so that you could retain your public image for the next Mayor election

10 hours ago, KaynineXL said:

Rumour has it the russians hacked the mayor poll which consequently lead to Bestfriends winning.

Do you have anything to say about that Bestfriends?

I commend you for making my night with humour. Let me address your concerns:

1. I don't make out with prostitutes, so I won't have to worry on that end.

2. Even if Russians did contribute in this Mayor election, @Crimar is still in my Mayorial Council. He can come to me anytime for ideas or a vote on an idea.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Since you guys are asking about things in my mayorship, I assume that you may want to hear a brief teaser about what is going on currently on my end:

Mayor Ad: "I am about to contribute some information to a certain place on forums, stay tuned to the forums!"

I have been working day and night trying to acquire a lot of information and it is in the beta stages of being released. When it is released, let me say this, you won't have to go to Bulbapedia ever again for this one topic.

35 minutes ago, Bestfriends said:

I commend you for making my night with humour. Let me address your concerns:

1. I don't make out with prostitutes, so I won't have to worry on that end.

2. Even if Russians did contribute in this Mayor election, @Crimar is still in my Mayorial Council. He can come to me anytime for ideas or a vote on an idea.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Since you guys are asking about things in my mayorship, I assume that you may want to hear a brief teaser about what is going on currently on my end:

Mayor Ad: "I am about to contribute some information to a certain place on forums, stay tuned to the forums!"

I have been working day and night trying to acquire a lot of information and it is in the beta stages of being released. When it is released, let me say this, you won't have to go to Bulbapedia ever again for this one topic.

Oh ik!! ik!! he is making a ***** to help, shh you didn't hear it from me xD

• 4 weeks later...

erm i made account just to comment
im still playing many pokemon games from year ago until now ( touhoumon all version that has english , pokemon all except nds , moemon all of it! ) in pc
tbh i never seen my pokemon disobey me not even once ( cause im good trainer? )
lv 40 charizard beating cerulean gym thanks to flying skill 

i kinda read other post and i see
1) older player's pokemon dont obey them anymore and its their main team 
that's why they are frustated
2) the level cap kinda low ,2 level for each badge? ( me here ) im only using starter pokemon to beat gym with other pokemon as shield to stall time and potion ( i know im evil here )
lv 27 beating 2nd gym, 28 at 3rd gym, and finally stuck at 4th gym at lv 30 unova region
water starter vs electric gym where she has 2 pokemon that can aerial ace 
>_> ah okay so i just have to restart on another region that is easier rite?

tbh i play pokemmo because
1) has moemon mod for unova 
2) the moemon there is cuter
3) has global link trade 
4) gotta catch all those moe ( i mean i just want to collect em all in pokedex including legendary if possible )

if there's any other mmo game that has moemon mod please tell me~

2) the level cap kinda low ,2 level for each badge? ( me here ) im only using starter pokemon to beat gym with other pokemon as shield to stall time and potion ( i know im evil here )
lv 27 beating 2nd gym, 28 at 3rd gym, and finally stuck at 4th gym at lv 30 unova region
>_> ah okay so i just have to restart on another region that is easier rite?

Every single level cap is above the level of the next Gym Leaders most powerful mon.

I wouldn't consider that 'kinda low', it is 'fair' - maybe even in your favor.

On 4/18/2018 at 12:03 PM, KaynineXL said:

Rumour has it the russians hacked the mayor poll which consequently lead to Bestfriends winning.

Do you have anything to say about that Bestfriends?

We need to lock crimar up!!1!

7 hours ago, kororo said:

Because of the level cap, it is strongly recommended that you use more than one Pokemon for the story - the later areas are close to impossible to complete with only a starter. The storyline in every region is balanced around users having a full team of 5-6.

On 5/12/2018 at 5:43 PM, XelaKebert said:

If I may ask, which area seems to be giving you trouble? What team are you using as well?

Unova Region
4th gym leader

my team is 
lv 30 Dewott
lv 23 Petilli
lv 25 solosis
lv 22 yamask
lv 18 sandile
lv 22 liepard

i only play to collect moemon 
and i believe i'm not good at IV or pokemon battle planning
just like few people , i can only ram the gym with raw power

3 hours ago, kororo said:

Unova Region
4th gym leader

my team is 
lv 30 Dewott
lv 23 Petilli
lv 25 solosis
lv 22 yamask
lv 18 sandile
lv 22 liepard

i only play to collect moemon 
and i believe i'm not good at IV or pokemon battle planning
just like few people , i can only ram the gym with raw power

Try to get your Sandile, Yamask, and Liepard up higher in level. Probably around level 26 or so. The IVs and natures don't generally matter for the storyline tbh. They do help if you have decent IVs and natures, but it's not a complete game breaker if you don't. It took me a few tries to beat Elesa too, so you aren't alone. The AI can be somewhat predictable. Once you have the species I named levelled more make another run. Try to take some notes on how the AI responds to lineup changes and your switches. This way if you lose again you can start to establish a pattern of responses the AI throws at you and you can then start planning how you will respond to those responses. The AI may be different from the vanilla games, but it still has its weak points. The key to learning good strategy is to learn the weak points.

@Lightningvolt also suggests a Roggenrola. These can be found at levels 10-13 in Wellspring Cave. They are able to deal Super Effective damage to Emolga whereas Sandile is unable to without purchasing a Rock Slide TM from GTL.

• 2 weeks later...

The thing I find most satisfying in pokemon games is over leveling so I can kill everything in one shot. It's like the feeling of a hot knife going through butter. I could care less about competitive game play or strategy, that's just for the masochistic players that actually want to struggle. All I want is to get through the story as fast as possible so I can catch more pokemon and complete my pokedex.