psl X donation thread

I know coaching is the main issue to discuss going into next psl, but other things need to be discussed as well imo:

• How do we select managers?
  • Should managers be allowed to play?
  • How to deal with Sign up bias?
  • What are the exact rules for scheduling and extensions?
  • Should the entire PSL system stay the same (regular season and playoffs)? Is the point system clear and/or good?
  • Is the host and/or PSL council allowed to play?
  • Midseason? Yes or No? 
  • How should tiers be selected?
  • Do we want mini events/tournaments being run with the PSL donations?
  • How many tiers do we want?
  • Do we want to keep awards? If yes, which ones? If yes, how are the awarded players selected? Do the awarded players get money?
  • Is the PSL council needed? If yes, how are they selected?
  • What happens to the players that break the rules?
  • Should staff be forced to play on their alt instead of their main?
  • Should showdown players have their name registered prior to the start of the season?
Edited by gbwead
Just now, gbwead said:

I know coaching is the main issue to discuss going into next psl, but other things need to be discussed as well imo:

• How do we select managers? vote?
  • Should managers be allowed to play? hell no
  • How to deal with Sign up bias? pls define the question a bit more
  • What are the exact rules for scheduling and extensions?  host / councils job
  • Should the entire PSL system stay the same (regular season and playoffs)? Is the point system clear and/or good? i like the classic personally
  • Is the host and/or PSL council allowed to play? host no council i think yes?
  • Midseason? Yes or No? auction? eh no imo but not a hard no
  • How should tiers be selected? vote imo
  • Do we want mini events/tournaments being run with the PSL donations? naaaaaah
  • How many tiers do we want? i think the number of teams/tiers should be chosen AFTER the sign ups with players listing what tiers they can play from all of pokemmo tiers and a large pool of showdown tiers.
  • Do we want to keep awards? If yes, which ones? If yes, how are the awarded players selected? Do the awarded players get money? idc
  • Is the PSL council needed? If yes, how are they selected? after this season i would say yes for sure we need a council not just one host making all the decisions. i rather have the power split and make corruption more difficult with checks and balances.

5 minutes ago, fredrichnietze said:

• How do we select managers? vote?
  • Should managers be allowed to play? hell no
  • How to deal with Sign up bias? pls define the question a bit more
  • What are the exact rules for scheduling and extensions?  host / councils job
  • Should the entire PSL system stay the same (regular season and playoffs)? Is the point system clear and/or good? i like the classic personally
  • Is the host and/or PSL council allowed to play? host no council i think yes?
  • Midseason? Yes or No? auction? eh no imo but not a hard no
  • How should tiers be selected? vote imo
  • Do we want mini events/tournaments being run with the PSL donations? naaaaaah
  • How many tiers do we want? i think the number of teams/tiers should be chosen AFTER the sign ups with players listing what tiers they can play from all of pokemmo tiers and a large pool of showdown tiers.
  • Do we want to keep awards? If yes, which ones? If yes, how are the awarded players selected? Do the awarded players get money? idc
  • Is the PSL council needed? If yes, how are they selected? after this season i would say yes for sure we need a council not just one host making all the decisions. i rather have the power split and make corruption more difficult with checks and balances.
  • Who votes for managers tho and how do they vote? Strawpoll lmao?
  • Hell no, managers shouldn't paly because you like the way things are now or because you don't feel it's possible to figure how a fair system that allows them to play?
  • Sign up bias is to me when a player signs up but his/her performance varies completly based on who he/she gets as manager. Let's say that the best OU player sign ups only in LC, so that no manager has any interest in buying him/her, but he ends up playing OU anyways because he/she gets bought by his friend.
  • I don't like our playoffs system tbh and imo the point system for the regular season and a lot of people were asking if their team still had a chance to make it.
  • Midseason is where sign up bias is very huge. We see some player sign up with the guarantee that they will end up on the team they want to be on. Midseason also delays the season usually.
4 minutes ago, gbwead said:

• Managers should be selected based on their commitment to the game, their leadership qualities, and their charisma overall. See below for additional details. 
    • Yes, I personally think that since our player base has become so small, managers should be given the opportunity to play. If you decide that managers can only play other managers in a "manager tier" then we should really put an effort to ensure the managers are picked based on equal skill competitively. If you decide to let managers play any tier they choose, then who cares. 
    • Sign up bias meaning players only play if their manager gets picked or if they feel interested or not, well there's not much we can about this. One solution would be to pick managers after player sign-ups with the caveat that once they sign up they do so with the full intention that they will play. If they drop out there will be some form of consequence. 
    • Personally, scheduling is very difficult and I might recommend that matches are only played on the weekends. This would provide better understanding of when players are free. This would also add an additional layer for managers to decide who gets to play, considering availability. Extensions should not be allowed from week to week unless there is an extreme and acceptable case. Extensions set a bad precedent and also hinder play in the following week. Forcing players to play over the weekend though might help to prevent any scheduling issues, as well as provide time during the weekday for extension matches to take place. 
  • Should the entire PSL system stay the same (regular season and playoffs)? Is the point system clear and/or good?
    • I personally think the system works, especially now that there are 6 teams moving into the playoffs. Competition from week to week stays high and things are easily understood. Although, this season I did see a lot of players "slack off" when they knew their team was locked for the playoffs or after they suffered a couple losses and were out of the running for individual player awards. 
    • The host should not be allowed to play in future seasons. In my soul opinion, there should also not be a small council. As the host, you are the face of the community and I often found myself taking blame for decisions that I didn't agree with. If the rules are well defined before the season starts, a host should be able to manage the season without a consulting group of players to help make decisions. 
  • Midseason? Yes or No? 
    • No, we all recognize that the midseason is simply an opportunity for well known players to jump on a team of their choosing. We often see players sign up only when they know the team they'll go to and that in itself is a negative bias. 
    • Tiers should be selected based on their stability in PokeMMO. Any additional tiers, for instance Showdown tiers, should be discussed and chosen based on interest by the community. 
    • If there is enough money and enough interest, I don't see why not. 
    • 8 tiers really seems to be the sweet spot. If we keep the current playoff system, we should also continue to have an even number of tiers in order to allow ties, which helps to promote competition in the standings throughout the season. 
  • Do we want to keep awards? If yes, which ones? If yes, how are the awarded players selected? Do the awarded players get money?
    • Yes, we should keep the awards.
    • Best Overall Player and Best Player by Tier should be kept as a no brainer. Others I'm indifferent about. 
    • If the prizepool allows, players should be awarded a cash prize along with a signature. 
    • See above
    • It really depends on the severity of their crime. I think it's time we set in place punishments for crimes that we can predict
    • For Players:
      • Ghosting, ban for the remainder of the season and the following season
      • Coaching, to whatever extent, ban for the remainder of the season (allow other players to provide calcs during a match)
      • Refusing to play for their manager and team, ban for the remainder of the season and the following season
      • Dodging your opponent without explanation or just cause, a suspension for the following week
    • For Managers:
      • Ghosting, a lifelong ban; their captain will take their place as manager for the remainder of the season
      • Coaching, to whatever extent, ban for the remainder of the season; their captain will take their place as manager for the remainder of the season
      • Benching a player on purpose, loss of any monetary award at the end of the season should their team win and also lose the right to win "Manager of the Season"
    • Host
      • Considering the host should no longer be able to play, the only crime I can foresee is the host tampering with the PSL for their own benefit. For instance stealing money, changing the rules to benefit certain managers, picking managers with incredible bias, not acting in a professional manner, etc. 
      • A lifelong ban should be instituted for any host that does not meet their requirements or cheats in any way
    • This season I realized there is one extremely dangerous and abusable trait that some staff members carry, and that's the ability to read their opponent's chat, access their team, and essentially prey upon their opponent in any way possible. With this in mind, we should take a long look at staff and their ability to play. 
  • Additional Stuff
    • The prizepool should be collected by a GM and held for the duration of the season, this would prevent any theft by the host. If the GM resigns from their position, the money should be passed to another reliable member of staff. 
    • A requirement should be made that all drafted or auctioned players must play at least once for their team during the regular season 
    • A requirement of a 3-month hiatus should be implemented between seasons, this would provide a better understanding of when to expect and when to start a season
    • Next season, we should experiment with a full draft rather than auction. Considering there are usually only 4-6 players that are head and shoulders better than the rest, we should consider the following:
      • For the first round:
        • Picks 1-4 select one player
        • Picks 5-8, select two players in a snake format (5-->6-->7-->8-->8-->7-->6-->5)
      • This method of selection will reverse the following round
        • Picks 1-4 select two players in a snake format (see above)
        • Picks 5-8 select one player
      • Continue moving forward with the draft in this fashion until it's completed, managers may decide when they want to stop picking players
      • Cap each team at 12, if there are 8 tiers to be played

Probably going to overstep my bounds here, considering the position I'm in and the lack of respect I now garner, but I'm going to share my thoughts on these issues from my point of view. See above. 

@xXBlu3BreathXx see above for my rec's on the draft. I think this structure would be pretty good for our playerbase. 

4 hours ago, gbwead said:
  • Who votes for managers tho and how do they vote? Strawpoll lmao? how about a vote require a account at least 6 months old? sure riga can skew the vote if he cares too but like, does he care that much?
  • Hell no, managers shouldn't paly because you like the way things are now or because you don't feel it's possible to figure how a fair system that allows them to play? i dont think we should reinvent the wheel. managers are playing total war not csgo. they are the generals not the soldiers. if you make them both, they will not be able to do either as well as if they were just doing one. also bias decisions, you really expect someone to bench themself?
  • Sign up bias is to me when a player signs up but his/her performance varies completly based on who he/she gets as manager. Let's say that the best OU player sign ups only in LC, so that no manager has any interest in buying him/her, but he ends up playing OU anyways because he/she gets bought by his friend.its up to the managers to see through this shit and know who to buy/not buy. thats all part of the game and you cant really do all that much about it. 
  • I don't like our playoffs system tbh and imo the point system for the regular season and a lot of people were asking if their team still had a chance to make it.  think every psl week thread should have on the first post a write out of each team and how many points they have so you can see whos winning and loosing. yes their is a challonge bracket but its shit you have to find and its never updated.
  • Midseason is where sign up bias is very huge. We see some player sign up with the guarantee that they will end up on the team they want to be on. Midseason also delays the season usually. it sounds like your problem is midseason and or the buying system not the bias.

4 hours ago, DarylDixon said:

i trust rand nabs than fred

what? seriously i have no idea what you're saying man.

3 minutes ago, fredrichnietze said:

only sgm and adm can do this. idk why i know this and munya doesnt. anywho none of the sgm's or adm's have ever signed up except noad and never while she was a sgm. cross that bridge when you come to it?

I think I took this attitude too often and paid the price for it. We should try and predict any and everything, and have a plan for it too. 

4 hours ago, DoubleJ said:

I think I took this attitude too often and paid the price for it. We should try and predict any and everything, and have a plan for it too. 

ok....... how about those 5 people can only play showdown tiers if they want to play? and staff cant be managers because of potential scouting ability through the forums since even cm's can see pm's on forums.

4 hours ago, gbwead said:

• Midseason? Yes or No? 
  • Should showdown players have their name registered prior to the start of the season?

I love this approach gb, but I think that first things first- we need a new host. Thread for picking a new host yay or nay?

14 hours ago, fredrichnietze said:

ok....... how about those 5 people can only play showdown tiers if they want to play? and staff cant be managers because of potential scouting ability through the forums since even cm's can see pm's on forums.

Where did you get this info? Not even GM's have that power, nor do I know who, if any, do

4 hours ago, Kizhaz said:

Where did you get this info? Not even GM's have that power, nor do I know who, if any, do

i was told sgms and up can check the in game chat logs and all staff can check pms by two different members of staff. the chat logs thing im pretty sure about but less sure about the pms

14 hours ago, fredrichnietze said:

We can also read your mind by converting your brain waves. Also, Chemtrails are real, we use pidgeys.