1st PvP Team (OU) on PokeMMO, help would be appreciate

Hey guys,

started the game 2-3 weeks ago with friends and god we enjoy it! Since we finished the storyline of Kanto Hoenn & Unova, we're excited to build/play in PvP!

Here is what I would like to play: https://www.poketools.fr/equipe/948720180406120233.html

I'm well aware that it's in french therefore i'll just translate it below (linked it so you can get a quick idea of what I would like to play):

Ferrothorn @ Rocky Helmet

Ability: Iron Barbs

Evs : 4 SpD / 252 HP / 252 Def

Relaxed Nature

-Stealth Rock

-Thunder Wave

-Power Whip

-Gyro Ball

Tyranitar @ Choice Band
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 4 Def / 252 HP / 252 Atk
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Crunch
- Stone Edge
- Superpower

Excadrill @ Life Orb
Ability: Sand Rush
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Iron Head

Chandelure @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Fire Blast
- Shadow Ball
- Psychic
- Energy Ball

Jellicent @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 4 Def / 252 HP / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Recover
- Will-O-Wisp
- Hex

Gengar @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast
- Sludge Wave
- Psychic

So the main idea is to play around sandstorm and allow Excadrill to sweep! It somehow makes sense in my head:

- 1 climat inducer & 1 climat abuser

- 1 DEF tank

- 1 DEFSPE tank

-  decent immunities (Normal-,Fighting-,Water-,Fire-,Ground-,Electrik-,Psychic-type)

-2 ATK poke

-2 ATKSPE poke

-Some moves (Thunder Wave/Will-O-Wisp) to make Excadrill's life easier

Here's my issues:

- I find myself with 3 Specter-type (Gengar, Jellicent & Chandelure)

- Fighting-type: Don't have one (chose to use Focus Blast on Gengar but might be tricky) and no counter (that's why I chose Psychic on Chandelure's & Gengar's moveset)

- Dragon-type: I lack counters and I don't even have a Dragon-type myself (is it mandatory?)

- Water-type: even if Jellicent is immune to it, I do not have any Electrik-type move - only Ferrothorn's Power Whip to hit super effectively (is it enough?)

So that's what I can see when I look back on my team. I'm thinking about switching:

- Chandelure -> Arcanine: still immune to Fire and I do get priority move that I lack so much (Extrem speed) & an Electrik-type move (Wild Charge).

--> Issue: I might have too much ATK pokes and not enough ATKSPE

- Gengar->Kingdra: I do get access to a Dragon-type poke, can still contest Grass-type (Ice beam I guess?) and might be able to deal with Rain team.

--> Issue: I lose my only Ground-type immunity and I have a lot of Ground weaknesses...

-Jellicent->Starmie: Psychic STAB! It would allow me to deal effectively with Fighting-type pokes while getting an offensive slot for Water-type at the same time.

--> Issue: I lose Water-type immunity and my DEFSPE tank. 

---------

As you probably figured out, I'm just a casual poke player with little knowledge about PvP. Feel free to tell/suggest/explain me how do you see my team and what I should focus on to improve it overall!

Thanks for reading :^)

Hey man, I think your team looks good. The main issue is that we don't have team preview (which concerns only #1) , so :

1) You're a bit reliant on TTar to help revenge kill pokemon that can boost their speed, like DD Haxorus / Volcarona etc. I think if you play things smartly, you won't give them much pportunity to set up. 

2) You need to maneuver around Gengar to let it focus blast into your Gengar / Chandelure, and this plan will fail if the other guy sets up a sub.

3) Last but not the least, Conkeldurr seems to be a huge pain for your squad. I see that Gengar + Chandelure kinda patch up the weakness, but your other teammates possibly let it in quite easily. Perhaps you can give Jellicent Taunt over WoW, and replace Hex with Ice Beam. but you're perhaps better off checking it with someone else who is lot more up to date with the meta than I am.

Also, is Rocky Helmet implemented in this game? 

Edited by NikhilR

In addition to what Nik said, I think Hydreigon is a massive issue. You have no switch-ins to it at all and your only play basically is outspeeding it with Excadrill and Gengar and try to pressure Hydreigon staying. Not only that but Iron Head doesn't even OHKO and Focus Blast is the worst move in the game. Your Jellicent doesn't really bring really anything to your team. Jellicent primarily is a great spinblocker but you already have not one but two spinblockers to begin with. So my first action would be switching Jellicent for Milotic to check Hydreigon, and Haxorus to lesser extent.

To deal with Conkeldurr, I'd advice you to replace any Pokemon you like the least with Psychic Reuniclus. It's the hardest single counter to Conkeldurr right now and your current team gets kinda destroyed by it like Nik said.

And no, Rocky Helmet doesn't work yet.

I wouldnt run Jellicant as a sp def. The problem with it as a sp def wall is that it's typing gives weaknessess to the most common special attackers in the tier (Magnezone, Chandelure, Gengar). Blissey is a good sp def wall but you need to pair it with Reuniclus then to handle conkeldurr. +something that handles Scizor

Edited by Mnemosyne
4 hours ago, Spaintakula said:

There's usually an explanation after a statement like that. Not only does it help the person asking, but it also makes your statement much more valid

An explanation doesn't make a statement more valid.  That's an invalid statement.

13 hours ago, Zymogen said:

How? 

12 hours ago, Spaintakula said:

Doesn't change the fact you still have to clarify your statement. If everyone did what you did, it'd be one messy and heated discussion.

Choice band scizor 1hko's or 2hko's everything on the team with no setup and gets multiple chances every battle.  Not really much else to explain.

5 hours ago, Aard said:

Choice band scizor 1hko's or 2hko's everything on the team with no setup and gets multiple chances every battle.  Not really much else to explain.

252+ Atk Choice Band Technician Scizor Bullet Punch vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Excadrill: 121-143 (33.5 - 39.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Scizor U-turn vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Excadrill: 141-167 (39 - 46.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Scizor U-turn vs. 248 HP / 10 Def Jellicent: 125-147 (31 - 36.4%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Choice Band Technician Scizor Bullet Punch vs. 248 HP / 10 Def Jellicent: 107-126 (26.5 - 31.2%) -- 16.7% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Choice Band Scizor U-turn vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Ferrothorn: 124-147 (35.2 - 41.7%) -- 80.8% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Choice Band Technician Scizor Bullet Punch vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Ferrothorn: 53-63 (15 - 17.8%) -- possible 9HKO after Leftovers recovery
I'm not counting the superpowers because he has 3 ghosts that he can easily play around to deal with Scizor. If we're going by your logic, a few other things can sweep freely if they are let to sweep.
12 hours ago, Spaintakula said:
252+ Atk Choice Band Technician Scizor Bullet Punch vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Excadrill: 121-143 (33.5 - 39.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Scizor U-turn vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Excadrill: 141-167 (39 - 46.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Scizor U-turn vs. 248 HP / 10 Def Jellicent: 125-147 (31 - 36.4%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Choice Band Technician Scizor Bullet Punch vs. 248 HP / 10 Def Jellicent: 107-126 (26.5 - 31.2%) -- 16.7% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Choice Band Scizor U-turn vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Ferrothorn: 124-147 (35.2 - 41.7%) -- 80.8% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Choice Band Technician Scizor Bullet Punch vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Ferrothorn: 53-63 (15 - 17.8%) -- possible 9HKO after Leftovers recovery
I'm not counting the superpowers because he has 3 ghosts that he can easily play around to deal with Scizor. If we're going by your logic, a few other things can sweep freely if they are let to sweep.

If you use the two wrong moves on everything then you 3hko.  Good job.  Pursuit and superpower 2hko everything.  No reason to calc anything else.

Edited by Aard
20 minutes ago, Aard said:

If you use the two wrong moves on everything then you 3hko.  Good job.  Pursuit and superpower 2hko everything.  No reason to calc anything else.

There's actually plenty of reason and he just discredited everything you said.

4 minutes ago, redspawn said:

There's actually plenty of reason and he just discredited everything you said.

How?  Pursuit and superpower 2hko everything on the team.  What he did is the same as pretending jolteon can't kill gyarados by only showing calcs with hp ice. 

Edited by Aard
Just now, Aard said:

How?  Pursuit and superpower 2hko everything on the team.  What he did is the same as pretending jolteon can kill gyarados by only showing calcs with hp ice. 

So you're telling me, a banded scizor will be able to destroy this team? A locked scizor into superpower when jellicent, chandelure or gengar enters?

Or that same scizor locked into anything but superpower into a excadrill?

Do you understand speed ties, and the meaning of using a choice band or any band on a pokemon? 

1 minute ago, redspawn said:

So you're telling me, a banded scizor will be able to destroy this team? A locked scizor into superpower when jellicent, chandelure or gengar enters?

Or that same scizor locked into anything but superpower into a excadrill?

Do you understand speed ties, and the meaning of using a choice band or any band on a pokemon? 

If scizor uses superpower on jellicent, he switches out, little to no cost for the mistake.  If jellicent comes in on a pursuit something is dead.  So yeah, you can predict it right 20 times in a row I guess if that's easier than being convinced its a problem. 

1 minute ago, Aard said:

If scizor uses superpower on jellicent, he switches out, little to no cost for the mistake.  If jellicent comes in on a pursuit something is dead.  So yeah, you can predict it right 20 times in a row I guess if that's easier than being convinced its a problem. 

Ah nice! The good old pursuit vs a focus blast gengar, flamethrower chandelure, wow/scald jellicent, EQ excadrill, out of which btw, idk if you know, other than jellicent, outspeeds scizor, and this is the tip of the iceberg, so no, scizor isn't an answer to this team, at most, it's a nice acceptable late game sweeper in case jellicent is dead and everything is on bullet punch range.

20 minutes ago, redspawn said:

Ah nice! The good old pursuit vs a focus blast gengar, flamethrower chandelure, wow/scald jellicent, EQ excadrill, out of which btw, idk if you know, other than jellicent, outspeeds scizor, and this is the tip of the iceberg, so no, scizor isn't an answer to this team, at most, it's a nice acceptable late game sweeper in case jellicent is dead and everything is on bullet punch range.

Chandelure is always choice locked.  Gengar is only a 2hko if focus blast hits where pusuit is a 1hko.  Finding switches to jellicent burn threats is so easy that its more risky for jellicent to burn it than for scizor to switch.  If you switch scizor in on excadrill youve lost enough stuff that you shouldn't have a 50% of winning but you still do because scizor is so powerful.   

1 minute ago, Aard said:

Chandelure is always choice locked.  Gengar is only a 2hko if focus blast hits where pusuit is a 1hko.  Finding switches to jellicent burn threats is so easy that its more risky for jellicent to burn it than for scizor to switch.  If you switch scizor in on excadrill youve lost enough stuff that you shouldn't have a 50% of winning but you still do because scizor is so powerful.   

I wonder why are you not winning tournaments man, with this logic you're a great player. 

What I placed in bold, doens't this kinda counters your first statement? Doens't scizor destroy this team? Then why are you forced into switching him out? Why can't you stay on a locked fire blast/flamethrower chandelure? Gengar is a 2hit ko, sure, will you have 100% hp on scizor always? 

On 4/8/2018 at 1:44 AM, Aard said:

Scizor destroys this team.

^ Sorry but you descredited yourself now, if you're forced to switch, it means it does not destroy this team, if you're locked into pursuit means something can enter and setup, in this case excadrill being a somewhat decent example.

12 minutes ago, redspawn said:

I wonder why are you not winning tournaments man, with this logic you're a great player. 

What I placed in bold, doens't this kinda counters your first statement? Doens't scizor destroy this team? Then why are you forced into switching him out? Why can't you stay on a locked fire blast/flamethrower chandelure? Gengar is a 2hit ko, sure, will you have 100% hp on scizor always? 

^ Sorry but you descredited yourself now, if you're forced to switch, it means it does not destroy this team, if you're locked into pursuit means something can enter and setup, in this case excadrill being a somewhat decent example.

The logic you  are using is that the player has to make the stupidest decision every time and still win for the poke to destroy the team.  But the chances of them guessing 50/50's wrong over and over again is realistically low (Also, a lot of these are more than 50/50).  Scizor gets a free switch every time something dies and then a 50/50 situation occurs.  Every time you make a good decision and kill something there is only a 50% chance of actually winning that part of the battle.  And we haven't even talked about it being able to pivot. 

Very low chance of winning an equal skill battle if this team goes against cb scizor.      

Edited by Aard

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.