PokeMMO VGC #1

VGC? VGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGC

Introduction:

I will start a new unofficial series in PokeMMO, which follows the ruleset of the official Pokemon format - also known as VGC (Video Game Championships). This is to introduce the players of PokeMMO to the official ruleset of Pokemon as well as just give them a completely new view on competitive play. Although VGC rules change every year, the ruleset in this tournament series is made to reflect the basic rules of VGC as close as possible. For example, move bans are very rare in VGC (only Dark Void in specific formats) and Pokemon bans are very rare and are usually made based on accessability rather than being "overpowered". Because of this, no moves and no Pokemon will be banned from this series. Clauses are different too.

I will continue this series as long as there's enough interest.

Details

Tournament Mode | 4v4 Double Battle | Unlimited players | Best of 3  | Swiss rounds, top 4 cut

This tournament is played with rules that are made to follow the ruleset of VGC.

• Before the tournament starts, all the players must have submitted their team information to the host via in-game mail or forum PM (nature, ability, held Item, each stat point, moves and gender of each Pokemon). The players may only use this team throughout the whole tournament. Nothing in your team may be changed for the duration of the tournament. Failing to follow this rule will result in an automatic game loss, and if repeated, disqualification from the tournament.
  • The battle is done in 4v4 Double Battle, best of 3 matches, where the four Pokemon used in each battle must be from the 6 Pokemon you registered to the tournament with. You must announce your 6 Pokemon to your opponent before starting a round.
  • This tournament has completely different rules to MMO standards. In VGC OHKO moves, Evasion moves, Hax items are allowed and they will be allowed in this tournament as well. In addition, there is no sleep clause. There is Item clause, however, which means you may use only 1 hold item once in your team.
  • This tournament will be played in Swiss format, the amount of rounds will be based on the participation. The top 4 will qualify to single elimination.

If there's any question, do not hesitate to ask. Please point out anything that you feel like is missing or contradicts with the Video Game Championship format.

Swiss tiebreaker for similar scores are done in "Median-Buchholz" method. In official VGC the tiebreaker for similar score is "Opponents' winrate and opponents' opponents' winrate" but I don't have this option on Challonge and Median-Buchholz method bases on the similar tiebreaker idea where winning against better rated opponents will rank you higher.

Date & Time

Saturday 7th April | 6pm BST  -  5pm UTC - 1pm EDT

Registration

Starts now. In order for registration to be valid their team has to be informed to the host, which in this case is me. The following information has to be informed about all of your Pokemon: Nature, Ability, Held Item, each stat point (at lv 50), moves, gender. Without these information about your team you're not allowed to join this tournament, as this information is needed to make sure each player will not change their team during the tournament. This information can be provided via in-game mail or forum PM.

The team information given to me is confidential and this is the reason I will not participate in this tournament myself.

Clauses

Unique Species / Self-KO / Item

First Place Prize

1 mil pokeyen

+

Pillar of Hats vanity item

+

2x31, 3x27 comp of choice, donated by Razimove

Second Place Prize

500,000 pokeyen

Donations:

600k + Pillar of hats by me

900k by Parke

2x31, 3x27 comp of choice, donated by Razimove

Disclaimer: This isn't the first VGC format tournament ever as ThinkNice hosted one around 2014-2015 but I'll just call this #1 because... fuck you.

Edited by OrangeManiac
1 minute ago, DoubleJ said:

Hilariously, I tried to make this very thing a PSL tier this season. There was just too much to keep up with on a weekly basis to really make it plausible. Kudos for hosting a tournament though. 

Yeah, I definitely get that. Let's see how this goes and whether that should affect any future seasons of PSL. 

The finalists @Zigh and @MaatthewMLG decided to finish the finals when the Clefairy Cup official allows them to. I trust these two players to report the scores after their match is played and their prizes will be sent in mail.

Thanks everyone for coming to the first ever (well, not really but fuck you) PokeMMO VGC style tournament. I had a blast, hope you did too and I wish I at least introduced you to the mechanics of the official Pokemon competitive format. Special shoutout to @Parke and @redspawn for prize donations and @LKrenz for helping me to host this event.

The brackets for this tournament are here.

https://challonge.com/mmovgc1

https://challonge.com/vgc1topcut (pending finals)

Also shoutout to itsSara for 500k donations to the next VGC event which I will host when my schedule allows me to. Until next time!