Confirmation window when running away from a shiny encounter

Haxa

Question

I brought this up in channel chat and someone mentioned that they had an experience where they ran away from a shiny Pokemon in a horde by misclicking, which is something that I don't think should be possible. I also often times am on auto pilot while shiny hunting because it's so monotonous, and am worried one day I'll run away from a shiny because I've gotten in a rhythm of doing so without really paying attention. There's already other safety measures for valuable things in the game, such as using a Master Ball or breeding a shiny Pokemon with a regular one. Also, there are of course some shinies that are harder to immediately notice like Persian and Dewgong, so you could very easily realize it's shiny when it's already too late and you've ran away. You could perhaps make a slippery slope argument such as "Well, why don't they confirm literally every single attack to make sure you realize you might KO the shiny?", but if you've already noticed you're fighting a shiny odds are you're fully alert now and are already being careful, so something like that would be silly. Any other thoughts?

Edited by Haxa

Just now, Munya said:

I dislike the idea of that for other reasons, having the game automatically run from a shiny encounter on you would be soulcrushing.

Maybe I'm uninformed on how botting works in this game, then. How would something like this make botting worse?

I assumed bots spammed Sweet Scent, scanned the battle for a shiny, and either ran away or stayed in the battle depending on if a shiny was there.

4 minutes ago, Munya said:

I dislike the idea of that for other reasons, having the game automatically run from a shiny encounter on you would be soulcrushing.

I assume the timer only begins after clicking run and the confirmation box appears. If you don't see the confirmation box in 30sec after clicking run then I have 0 sympathy

I don't really care if it makes botting worse, but it wouldn't make it any easier.  I do care if a confirmation dialogue would improve a aspect of the game and I think that it would in this case.

Just now, Kizhaz said:

I assume the timer only begins after clicking run and the confirmation box appears. If you don't see the confirmation box in 30sec after clicking run then I have 0 sympathy

The way it sounds to me is it would be a way to deter bots so the timer would start at the beginning of the battle and you have that long to do something before it automatically runs.

6 minutes ago, Munya said:

I don't really care if it makes botting worse, but it wouldn't make it any easier.  I do care if a confirmation dialogue would improve a aspect of the game and I think that it would in this case.

The way it sounds to me is it would be a way to deter bots so the timer would start at the beginning of the battle and you have that long to do something before it automatically runs.

Hmm yeah I wouldn't be on board with that idea

The idea is that you don't teach the bot how to confirm that you want to run, so once you encounter a shiny its stuck in the battle.

or it could detect the confirmation window idk, you could already teach it to detect a shiny though.

11 minutes ago, Munya said:

The idea is that you don't teach the bot how to confirm that you want to run, so once you encounter a shiny its stuck in the battle.

or it could detect the confirmation window idk, you could already teach it to detect a shiny though.

That's why I'm confused. If it can already detect when a shiny is in the battle then it wouldn't run away at all. Unless there's a margin of error where sometimes the bot runs away anyway, which the timer would take care of.

Edited by Haxa
26 minutes ago, Munya said:

I don't think you understand what he meant by the 30 sec auto run. Pretty sure he wanted to say that IF you press run there is a pop up to confirm that last for 30 sec before auto running. It's not something that would run after 30 sec of fight. That way afk botter that auto run wouldn't be really helped.

7 minutes ago, sephiroth1977 said:

Audio cue/visual cue would be nice and i would up vote that. But a pop up window would be too much, and a 30 second automatic runaway would hurt peoples sanity. So a definite no on them ideas. And on a side note, making anything easier for a botter cant be a good thing.

The timer thing was just a tangent that the more I think about it seems unnecessary and wouldn't even combat botters. It was also never an automatic timer, it would only start once you clicked the "run" button.

However, I'm personally not convinced this would even make botting worse. They can already detect if a shiny is in battle, so they wouldn't even try and run away. The confirmation is only for accidents.

6 minutes ago, Haxa said:

The timer thing was just a tangent that the more I think about it seems unnecessary and wouldn't even combat botters. It was also never an automatic timer, it would only start once you clicked the "run" button.

However, I'm personally not convinced this would even make botting worse. They can already detect if a shiny is in battle, so they wouldn't even try and run away. The confirmation is only for accidents.

I get it.

Encounter a shiny:

Press run and it comes up with a window asking "Do you really want to flee?"

Yes/No

This would be great. The only downside is the amount of coding that would have to be done to implement it. 

Also im pretty sure that no pokemon game has a feature like that? If that even matters to anyone lol

25 minutes ago, sephiroth1977 said:

I get it.

Encounter a shiny:

Press run and it comes up with a window asking "Do you really want to flee?"

Yes/No

This would be great. The only downside is the amount of coding that would have to be done to implement it. 

Also im pretty sure that no pokemon game has a feature like that? If that even matters to anyone lol

There's already an identical thing implemented, which is a confirmation window for when you use a Master Ball. So, when it comes to mistakes that's important enough for a safety measure, and I think encountering a shiny Pokemon should be too personally. As for the coding thing, if they've done it once they could definitely do it again.

I think people shouldn't be using an "auto run away". 

I suggested a timer being 30 seconds to confirm you want to run away. If you don't want to run just click yes or fill in a captcha and you stay in the battle. Otherwise you can click no or wait for the timer to run out and you'd run away. 

1 hour ago, Kite said:

I think people shouldn't be using an "auto run away". 

I suggested a timer being 30 seconds to confirm you want to run away. If you don't want to run just click yes or fill in a captcha and you stay in the battle. Otherwise you can click no or wait for the timer to run out and you'd run away. 

I honestly wouldn't want there to be a captcha. If it really came down to that being the only way the idea could be implemented I'd just not want it to happen. Though, like I've said, at this point I don't even see how a confirmation window would make botting worse.

2 hours ago, Haxa said:

I honestly wouldn't want there to be a captcha. If it really came down to that being the only way the idea could be implemented I'd just not want it to happen. Though, like I've said, at this point I don't even see how a confirmation window would make botting worse.

Last I knew, bots can't really do captcha's. And frankly the whole argument about bots shouldn't had been brought up to begin with. 

1 hour ago, Kite said:

Last I knew, bots can't really do captcha's. And frankly the whole argument about bots shouldn't had been brought up to begin with. 

I dunno, I guess I just don't like the thought of a captcha being put in the game for something that's meant to be more of an ease of life kind of improvement. Me too, I don't think it's relevant. I wish I had waited to reply to the guy who brought it up after I had really thought about it for awhile.

15 minutes ago, Acarus said:

like i have said b4 , if you flee from a shiny that your fault not the system , you should notice a big ''Shiny'' word on the pkm name 

visual cue "like a starry shimmer effect" around the shiny mon would be great and make it much more obvious in a horde. I have known a couple of shiny hunters who have ran from shiny accidentally.

Is the word "shiny" really enough? 

Even in the official game they have audio and visual cues for when a shiny poke appears, why is pokemmo different? 

Edited by sephiroth1977
49 minutes ago, Acarus said:

like i have said b4 , if you flee from a shiny that your fault not the system , you should notice a big ''Shiny'' word on the pkm name 

If you throw a masterball it should be your own fault too by your logic, yet they added in a safety measure to prevent it. That's because this is a valuable thing, and they don't want you to lose it due to a mistake. Shinies are also valuable things that shouldn't be lost due to mistakes. Your answer isn't even really an answer, it's a dismissal without any real weight behind it.

Not to discourage the thought but is this a feature to improve the game (as Munya mentioned) ?

If this were implemented, one day, some other folks might want Shiny abra never use Teleport, etc.

Shiny are indeed valuable, if you value your own OT. Im not as active as before, but I can still tell that most shiny's prices has dropped to a level which everyone can afford.