Confirmation window when running away from a shiny encounter

Haxa

Question

I brought this up in channel chat and someone mentioned that they had an experience where they ran away from a shiny Pokemon in a horde by misclicking, which is something that I don't think should be possible. I also often times am on auto pilot while shiny hunting because it's so monotonous, and am worried one day I'll run away from a shiny because I've gotten in a rhythm of doing so without really paying attention. There's already other safety measures for valuable things in the game, such as using a Master Ball or breeding a shiny Pokemon with a regular one. Also, there are of course some shinies that are harder to immediately notice like Persian and Dewgong, so you could very easily realize it's shiny when it's already too late and you've ran away. You could perhaps make a slippery slope argument such as "Well, why don't they confirm literally every single attack to make sure you realize you might KO the shiny?", but if you've already noticed you're fighting a shiny odds are you're fully alert now and are already being careful, so something like that would be silly. Any other thoughts?

Edited by Haxa

2 minutes ago, Acarus said:

well in order to do that they need to do a bunch of coding and shit and it is just the trainers fault for missclicking and not noticing the shiny

This might also increase boting. Just let it repeat the same key until it reaches this confirmation. Then player can just claim it later. 

2 minutes ago, IDKPRO said:

This might also increase boting. Just let it repeat the same key until it reaches this confirmation. Then player can just claim it later. 

That's a good point. I can see how that would be a problem. A timer, then? Like after awhile if the message is left open for long enough it automatically runs away?

Edited by Haxa
9 hours ago, IDKPRO said:

How would this increase botting? lol they already do it anyway if they want to.

55 minutes ago, Goku said:

There are mods which make the shiny encounter sprite a lot bigger then others.

See, I used to use this, but the graveler got surf'd anyway, gladly was a graveler and not a uncommon/rare

1 hour ago, redspawn said:

How would this increase botting? lol they already do it anyway if they want to.

See, I used to use this, but the graveler got surf'd anyway, gladly was a graveler and not a uncommon/rare

It makes it easier for botters to find shinies. In turn this could increase how many there are

7 hours ago, Tritios said:

implementing sparkles or a sound would be way better imo, makes it alot more obvious and its not that handholding, failing to catch a shiny should be possible. especially if you're not paying attention.

I play muted, and when I'm shiny hunting often times I'm also tabbed out doing other things, so I'd probably miss the sparkle (and I don't think I'm unique in playing the game muted and doing other stuff at the same time). I think failing to catch a shiny should be possible as well, but I don't think accidentally running away from one should be. You could make arguments about how it should be possible to accidentally use a Master Ball too, but since it's a valuable item and mistakes happen they put up a barrier to help prevent people from wasting it. I think that's great, and since shinies are even more valuable and this is about the worst thing that could happen during an encounter with a shiny, I think this is worth considering.

6 hours ago, Goku said:

There are mods which make the shiny encounter sprite a lot bigger then others.

That's actually good to know, I'll be getting that. However, I still think there should be actual barriers in the game that make this a less likely thing to happen. Especially since there's other barriers in the game for making mistakes concerning other valuable items.

I would love for shiny pokemon to be easier to differentiate in battle in the DEFAULT client rather than needing a mod.
If that can be done?  Awesome.  Needs visual and audio cues (not just one or the other).
Maybe even having the word 'Shiny' in a special font type/color/effect so that it is more noticeable.

These kinds of audiovisual changes wouldn't even require extra coding!

Or if someone can point to the (working and recently updated) mod(s) to do this already then please feel free to link them.

5 hours ago, Daedalus007 said:

I would love for shiny pokemon to be easier to differentiate in battle in the DEFAULT client rather than needing a mod.
If that can be done?  Awesome.  Needs visual and audio cues (not just one or the other).
Maybe even having the word 'Shiny' in a special font type/color/effect so that it is more noticeable.

These kinds of audiovisual changes wouldn't even require extra coding!

Or if someone can point to the (working and recently updated) mod(s) to do this already then please feel free to link them.

Just saying a shiny all ready has shiny in it's name when you find it

12 hours ago, redspawn said:

what you're failing to understand is that they already exist.

Considering one of my duties as a GM is to catch botters, no I'm not failing to understand this.

12 hours ago, Munya said:

I don't think it would make it easier for botters at all, there are already things easy enough for it to check for that currently.

Having a pop up box would make it easier than it already is, there wouldnt need to be a check for anything because you cant run from the shiny. A simple movement bot running from battles would work in finding shiny Pokemon.

Like Daedalus says, better visual/audio cues would the the better way to prevent fleeing from shiny Pokemon

1 minute ago, Kizhaz said:

Considering one of my duties as a GM is to catch botters, no I'm not failing to understand this.

Having a pop up box would make it easier than it already is, there wouldnt need to be a check for anything because you cant run from the shiny. A simple movement bot running from battles would work in finding shiny Pokemon.

Like Daedalus says, better visual/audio cues would the the better way to prevent fleeing from shiny Pokemon

That would require the player to be there and notice, not much of a bot.  There would be better ways of doing it.

And while sure those things would be nice, it doesn't address what the OP is suggesting to prevent.

27 minutes ago, Munya said:

That would require the player to be there and notice, not much of a bot.  There would be better ways of doing it.

And while sure those things would be nice, it doesn't address what the OP is suggesting to prevent.

I don't see why it wouldn't prevent it. Making it more visible would stop you from running

51 minutes ago, Kizhaz said:

20 minutes ago, Munya said:

He specifically mentioned misclicking which is a very real possibility.

It's also been mentioned that something like a 30 second timer that auto runs away if you don't respond to it would help prevent something like this. I'm not a developer obviously, so I have no idea how hard something like that would be to implement, but if it's possible wouldn't it be a better option to prevent things like misclicking?

4 minutes ago, Haxa said:

It's also been mentioned that something like a 30 second timer that auto runs away if you don't respond to it would help prevent something like this. 

I dont like that cuz sometimes i call horde and go afk,I even found 2 shinies that way 

Also, some ppl call their friends to watch they catching the shinies so it would already take over 30 seconds

Edited by JLxKaos
2 minutes ago, Munya said:

Don't think 30 second timer to run would prevent misclicking, in a horde i wouldn't doubt if it took you more than 30 seconds to kill off the rest of the horde.

A 30 second timer would help prevent people from botting, because even if the bot found a shiny, they'd likely be away from their computer and they wouldn't remain in the battle where they found the shiny until they got back, they'd get booted automatically after a time limit.

Edited by Haxa