'Casual mode'

TheBurningBlue

Question

I've been playing the game since... I'unno, 2014? Maybe 2015.

It was a lot of fun back then, being able to play Pokémon in my own way and occasionally battle other trainers on my way to get the gym badges.

Once Hoenn was added, I was able to box my Pokémon and train an entirely new team, experimenting with different builds and holding onto those too after getting all of the badges.

I spent a long time playing the game in the way I wanted to play it, forming my own team in the ways I myself would play either one of the generations.

While doing this I was able to interact with the community, trade Pokémon with other people or on the GTL like it were a modern game, and recieve scam mail from Nigerian Princes. I'm not even kidding, that actually happened.

But over the years I've been doing this, there have been changes that have been turning me away from the game.

A lot of people take the game more seriously, so naturally things started to gear towards a more competitive angle. Breeding was modified, EXP limits were introduced, etc etc.

It's not only me that's been drawn away - I've been watching arguments over the EXP limits in the chat just now, and friends of mine won't play the game anymore as they just want to play casual Pokémon in 3 generations but are forced to all of these weird changes that make it harder to play.

This may be a big ask, but I feel its semi-warranted after the large amounts of competitive features that have been added over the years.

- Casual characters

- Can't compete in tournaments or trade with default characters

- Can play the games with same features of the originals, breeding included(?)

- Not held back by EXP caps

I assume something like this is possible - a special box you'd check in character creation to label your character as a 'casual mode' character. They can't interact with the other type as much, but can still trade with other casual players.

tl;dr: characters that cant interact in competitions or trade with default playstyle characters, but can play fire red just like fire red etc

What I'm asking for is a more casual alternate mode, not for the entire game to be rolled back.

Also, while this isn't needed I feel it'd be a good feature. Like I said a lot of people I know personally have stopped playing because the game went from multiplayer Pokémon to competitive only multiplayer Pokémon.

Instead of forcing all the casual stuff out the door, why not just allow the people who don't want to play seriously but still want to play as an MMO/with friends to have the original playstyle? It's not like it would unbalance the entire game, with the GTL limits etc

46 minutes ago, TheBurningBlue said:

tl;dr: characters that cant interact in competitions or trade with default playstyle characters, but can play fire red just like fire red etc

why don't you make a character and don't interact with anyone? This is a waste of time, if you want to play fire red, just grab a emulator and play it.

2 minutes ago, redspawn said:

why don't you make a character and don't interact with anyone? This is a waste of time, if you want to play fire red, just grab a emulator and play it.

Because like I've said, the game itself has changes so that you can't play it the same way.

PokéMMO isn't only fire red, that and you can't simply play fire red with other people online.

Just now, TheBurningBlue said:

Because like I've said, the game itself has changes so that you can't play it the same way.

PokéMMO isn't only fire red, that and you can't simply play fire red with other people online.

If the game doens't suit you, there's more games on the market. I like it the way it is, sorry, and so do most I guess.

Just now, redspawn said:

If the game doens't suit you, there's more games on the market. I like it the way it is, sorry, and so do most I guess.

Except what I'm describing is literally PokéMMO in the past, before they added/modified all this stuff.

If you like it the way you do, that's fine - because what I'm suggesting is fully optional.

1 minute ago, TheBurningBlue said:

Except what I'm describing is literally PokéMMO in the past, before they added/modified all this stuff.

Exactly, which honestly, wasn't exactly good. Trust me, I played it51b9bd74175e0038b490cf874754a14d.png

Game is a lot better now, and looking back at how it was, I'm happy with the changes, even if they're slow to appear and sometimes brutal.

3 minutes ago, TheBurningBlue said:

what I'm describing is literally PokéMMO in the past, before they added/modified all this stuff.

29 minutes ago, notmudkip0 said:

So basically you want it rolled back to an early version, where it was just a multiplayer emulator.

2 minutes ago, redspawn said:

Exactly, which honestly, wasn't exactly good. Trust me, I played it51b9bd74175e0038b490cf874754a14d.png

Game is a lot better now, and looking back at how it was, I'm happy with the changes, even if they're slow to appear and sometimes brutal.

Again, thats your own personal opinion - many DON'T like the changes, which is why I'm presenting the concept of a more casual / legacy mode. I've played it too, since 2012-09-05, and I personally enjoyed it alongside friends and others I met on the way.

Edited by TheBurningBlue
missed a comma
23 minutes ago, TheBurningBlue said:

Again, thats your own personal opinion - many DON'T like the changes, which is why I'm presenting the concept of a more casual / legacy mode. I've played it too, since 2012-09-05 and I personally enjoyed it alongside friends and others I met on the way.

as someone else whos wasted 5 years playing this, i fail to see how any of the changes are bad.  even ones that i dont personally agree with are objectively better for the game as a whole.

You are still able to play the game casually with your friends, the storyline is just a bit more difficult. Shouldn't this be a positive thing? It gives you and your friends something to do rather than just run through the game with level 100's and quit after a few weeks. 

This is just my thought process, I don't actually know because I have no friends. 

Just now, ImFunk said:

You are still able to play the game casually with your friends, the storyline is just a bit more difficult. Shouldn't this be a positive thing? It gives you and your friends something to do rather than just run through the game with level 100's and quit after a few weeks. 

This is just my thought process, I don't actually know because I have no friends. 

It's still playable - it just sucks how we can't play with our own style. The levelcap stops you from levelling one Pokémon, refighting trainers for money for pokéballs is a lot harder ESPECIALLY if you've not built your team in the 'right way', you can't have several starters unless you get them to level 25 first... there are more things, but I can't think of them all.

23 minutes ago, ImFunk said:

I don't actually know because I have no friends. 

:^(

21 minutes ago, TheBurningBlue said:

It's still playable - it just sucks how we can't play with our own style. The levelcap stops you from levelling one Pokémon, refighting trainers for money for pokéballs is a lot harder ESPECIALLY if you've not built your team in the 'right way', you can't have several starters unless you get them to level 25 first... there are more things, but I can't think of them all.

the level cap only applies once tho. unless youre spamming alts, that shouldnt be that much of a problem.

2 minutes ago, DeadGorilla said:

unless youre spamming alts

I've played through the storylines on multiple different alts and I have never had an issue with the level cap. I don't understand how people are still having trouble with this. 

3 minutes ago, TheBurningBlue said:

it just sucks how we can't play with our own style

What is your style? Entering the Elite Four with a level 75 starter and 5 HM slaves? Then yes, you can't play with your own style. The devs want you to stop being lazy and actually play their game.

19 minutes ago, TheBurningBlue said:

The levelcap stops you from levelling one Pokémon, refighting trainers for money for pokéballs is a lot harder ESPECIALLY if you've not built your team in the 'right way', you can't have several starters unless you get them to level 25 first...

It's like the devs want you to play the game how it was meant to be played

26 minutes ago, TheBurningBlue said:

All starters can be found in the wild, I think you are referring to some old mechanic where starters needed to be level to 25 before they could be traded?  That isn't a requirement anymore but the starters given to you at the beginning of the game can't be traded as they have a gift ribbon, you would need the actual wild caught starters which can be traded at any level.

4 minutes ago, Malorne said:

Don't know, content update with vanilla mechanics can be a good thing as a different game mod (pokemmo official/hardcore & vanilla server) WoW did it, its not that impossible.

same could be said about old school runescape and runescape, difference is, they have a dedicated team, they also have a pretty large playerbase that actually prefers the 'vanilla' over the updated versions. The same can't be said here.

10 minutes ago, redspawn said:

same could be said about old school runescape and runescape, difference is, they have a dedicated team, they also have a pretty large playerbase that actually prefers the 'vanilla' over the updated versions. The same can't be said here.

True, dont think many players would like it on our playbase.

2 hours ago, TheBurningBlue said:

Again, thats your own personal opinion - many DON'T like the changes, which is why I'm presenting the concept of a more casual / legacy mode. I've played it too, since 2012-09-05, and I personally enjoyed it alongside friends and others I met on the way.

You mean just like how you think the changes are bad being your own personal opinion?

I don't really support OP's suggestion but I feel like some features were better off as they were back in 2014-2015 (level cap and breeding). I said this once and I'll say again: the increased difficulty of storyline makes casual players frustrated and quit the game, but it seems like the devs don't care at all about this. About breeding I felt a big impact at first, but once prices settled down everything was just almost as expensive as it originally was (comps being around 250-400k, 800k+ for multiple IV'd ones and not harder at all to make), in fact I felt like it was harder back then due to the RNG involved in breeding, but RNG is also what made breeding fun, and they took it away, I remember that one time I hatched a 6x30-31 Eevee  after a bunch of 2x31s and I was so happy, (too bad it turned out to be 4x31 2x30). These changes are pretty good from a competitive standpoint, but pretty bullshit for those people that just want to play the game with friends, this isn't Pokemon Showdown, if I just wanted to play competitively I'd go there. I feel like this is more of a battle sim today than it was back in 2014-2015.

Edited by Roundabout