VGC type of tie-breaker procedure for "Time Clause" situations

OrangeManiac

Question

I'm wondering if there could be a time and place to implement some kind of a time clause that the whole other side of the bracket doesn't have to wait multiple hours just because one match has gone to endless switching mode. 64 man tournaments (and above) already last long enough on their own for one sitting on the computer but it's just completely demoralizing when you have to abandon a whole tournament because one game ends up lasting for 2 hours.

The old time clause rule was really unfair. In the old days if the match went over 45/60 minutes, both player were disqualified. I think that both players should not be disqualified, especially when both players are simply just playing their win conditions and endlessly switching if they are able to. In addition, there were times that some people could argue that some players with 0% chance to win purposely made the game last longer in order to get their opponent disqualified and we don't want cases like this. Some Game Masters back in the day took the justice in their own hands and declared a player "losing" the game if after checking their party they deemed they had no chance of winning. Even though I would agree with said procedure, I'm not surprised this resulted in some controversy. Mainly because the factors to determine a "losing" player were completely arbitrarily decided by said host, even though the GM in question was probably correct in their judgement.

What I'm suggesting here is some kind of a pre-written rule to determine a winner in case of a "time clause" situation. The official VGC format already has rulings when the round timer ends to determine which player is given the win and I think something similar should be implemented in PokeMMO. For example, in VGC tie tiebreaker is: 1. Number of Pokemon left 2. HP percentage 3. Total numerical HP left. In addition, both players are given 3 turns after the time has been announced of being over. I hope some kind of similar system is implemented. The rules can be made by either staff or TC or whoever but my suggestion is following.

- When the game clock hits 60 minutes, both players will get a notification by the host that they have 5 turns left until the game will be determined by time clause.

- After these 5 turns the host checks parties to determine which player has: 1) More Pokemon 2) More HP Percentage 3) Numerical HP 4) Total PP until a winner is determined in said order.

- If there is no announcement for time clause, the game will continue normally. This is especially expected of smaller tournaments like Community Combats, where there isn't a host to overwatch the tournament. The time clause shall not be enforced after the game ends but only will come in effect when the host announces that game is being time claused.

- It is crucial that this time clause rule will be written in forums/in-game so everyone can see (if ever implemented)

I'm aware this system would not be flawless and sometimes may result a player winning that in the real game after 2 hours wouldn't have won. In addition, if a host notices too late that a game would be on time clause it can result in lots of "what-ifs" that if the time clause was announced on time, the winner would have been other player. Regardless, I think there should be some systematic procedure to determine a winner to these seemingly "never-ending" matches and the whole other part of the bracket shouldn't wait the whole evening/afternoon because two players are endlessly switching in a 120 minute duel at round 1 while the host(s) have nothing they can do.

Edited by OrangeManiac
changed title

0 answers to this question

There have been no answers to this question yet