Volt Turn team

So i saw this old BW article on smogon about volt/turn.

Is there something like this in our current meta?

https://www.smogon.com/bw/articles/bw_volt_turn

We do seem to have only about half the pokes available though.

We have scizor, hydreigon, mienshao, magnezone, darmanitan, jolteon, pelipper

We don`t have rotom-w or landorus/tornadus, celebi, etc.. which seem to be key pokes.

Sample team from the article

Spoiler

Landorus (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Sand Force
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Naive Nature (+Spd, -SDef)
- U-turn
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge

Scizor (M) @ Choice Band
Trait: Technician
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Atk / 16 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- U-turn
- Superpower
- Bullet Punch
- Pursuit

Rotom-W @ Leftovers
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 216 Def / 40 SAtk
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split

Celebi @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Natural Cure
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Naive Nature (+Spd, -SDef)
- U-turn
- Leaf Storm
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Earth Power

Mienshao (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Regenerator
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SAtk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Hi Jump Kick
- U-turn
- Fake Out
- Stone Edge

Xatu (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Magic Bounce
EVs: 248 HP / 188 Def / 72 SDef
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Psychic
- Reflect
- Roost
- U-turn

1. Would a volt turn team be viable in our current meta?

2. if so, which pokes would you use?

I've been having quite a bit of success with U-Turn. The Volt part of it doesn't seem good in my opinion since there's far too many strong ground types that aren't scared of coverage from Electric types and it's a huge momentum sink to have that interrupted.

7 hours ago, Acarus said:

3/6 in that sample r not in the game and U-turn only work in PVP so im not sure it is viable or not 
and most ppl use Mienzhao Crobat for U-turn i think

good idea, I had not thought about crobat.

6 hours ago, suigin said:

I've been having quite a bit of success with U-Turn. The Volt part of it doesn't seem good in my opinion since there's far too many strong ground types that aren't scared of coverage from Electric types and it's a huge momentum sink to have that interrupted.

When you say success with U-turn, do you mean as a team focused on it, or just one or two pokes such as scizor slapped into a regular team?

Rotom-W seems to really address the ground resist with stab hydro-pump to the face, however he's not available, although I swear I saw him in Gym rematches or the E4.

1 hour ago, hihats said:

When you say success with U-turn, do you mean as a team focused on it, or just one or two pokes such as scizor slapped into a regular team?

Rotom-W seems to really address the ground resist with stab hydro-pump to the face, however he's not available, although I swear I saw him in Gym rematches or the E4.

If you expect a 6 mon U-turn team then no, it's not that. Volt-Turn is usually a core not an entire team, you need certain support for it.

2 hours ago, redspawn said:

I was/am having quite a lot of fun using a volt turn rain team with scizor/jolteon, but sadly I don't believe its as strong as it sounds, MM is crap anyway to test how viable something is.

Would you mind sharing your team?

1 hour ago, suigin said:

If you expect a 6 mon U-turn team then no, it's not that. Volt-Turn is usually a core not an entire team, you need certain support for it.

Nah, was not expecting 6 u-turn volt mons, more like 3-4 ish, with some walls thrown in. Would something like scizor, jolteon, pelipper, hydreigon, blissey, ferrothorn work? im guessing would need a spinner or defogger too. maybe gliscor/starmie

3 hours ago, hihats said:

Would you mind sharing your team?

Nah, was not expecting 6 u-turn volt mons, more like 3-4 ish, with some walls thrown in. Would something like scizor, jolteon, pelipper, hydreigon, blissey, ferrothorn work? im guessing would need a spinner or defogger too. maybe gliscor/starmie

Pelipper wall/modest specs / ferrothorn / scizor / jolteon /reuniclus / kabutops

8 hours ago, Spaintakula said:

Just use lanturn, it's basically the same as rotom, trust me

What spreads and moveset would you run on it?

3 hours ago, redspawn said:

Pelipper wall/modest specs / ferrothorn / scizor / jolteon /reuniclus / kabutops

I'll give that a try! thanks for the input

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.