New Pokemon/Abilities/Moves is Fake Content

Xatu

Kyu can you confirm that the "giving a programmer access only to the things they need to know" model would cause a clusterfuck in the code?

Don't even go into detail just say "it's fucktarded"

Edited by suigin
2 minutes ago, suigin said:

Kyu can you confirm that the "giving a programmer access only to the things they need to know" model would cause a clusterfuck in the code?

It can work for smaller projects, and for people whose roles are extremely limited in scope. For example, simple tweaks to things like the world map spawn tables only necessitate that the person has access to the raw map data. This is what we already do for some people.

For things related to actual client / server development, and which aren't simple number changes, no, it's really not viable.

Wow i am genuinely surprised that my post actually drew you to interact with the community which you are responsible for its (current) existence.  

23 minutes ago, Kyu said:

You're right. Every single MMO does this, and will always do it, because as long as you all keep paying for us to make it, we will. That's always been the contract between us and our community- Send more money, we'll send more stuff.

Heres the thing: When we send you money, well give you even more money back if what you give us back is quality.  Dont you wanna make more money?

Well, you're objectively wrong, but ok.

Allow me to explain what i meant by "fake content". While it may be new to this game, many of us are already familiar with it from playing on sims like pokemon shodown.  You guys arent nintendo its not a "new" ability.  Its just another ability in a list of 3 and all the arbitrary restrictions were literally invented to promote the flash game dream world bullshit.  Theres literally no reason to implement it that way other than to waste our time even further.  Like i said earlier the breeding process itself is plenty expensive/time consuming as it is.

It literally doesn't. I don't care about RU, so I'm not going to quote the rest of this.

The only reason anyone would get a new ability or a legend, ultimately, is to either use or trade it.  While being in a traded state it sits in a box, useless.  Thusly the comp players would act as a net to catch the mons that they need, causing most of the good mons bred to be done so specifically for comp play.  Comp play is the driving factor to most breeds made.

We're not going to give out ETAs regardless of how many inflammatory topics you post.

I never asked for an ETA, instead I gave an ETA.  I said it would take you about a year to start to see the HAs.  I made this deduction based on the amount of time it took for previous updates and also factoring in about how long itll take before all abilities are done before focusing 100% on all elemental dungeons

>demands new ways to play
>complains about theoretical new PvE before it's even out yet

0v2DHun.jpg

Its not like you guys are hiding anything, we have a super good idea of whats coming.  Since i already know, thanks to the info youve given us, i am free to already make my judgments.

I think that many of your proposals are copy/pasted from other games like OSRS without being well thought out, but sure, I'll bite for just this post. Let's go down the list and see my opinions on it:

>Open Wildnerness PvP

We actually already do this, with MewTwo / Rayquaza in the overworld. The only thing missing is that you don't lose your "real" gear when you lose.

While the mechanic of auto accepting duels is there, that is the only thing that relates these 2 things together.

Whether or not we'll look at it again depends on whether we can make the combat better. I honestly don't think that we can, which is why we never pursued it further; this game's combat is extremely slow and clunky in general.

Haha wowww, do you even like pokemon?  Its amazing how it is its why any of us are even here.

You clearly didnt even read my suggestion tho bro :(

Its aight ill help out w/ some bullet points

*Only certain mons are catchable

* Its a new region

* There are safe areas and ez lvl caps

* Areas with dank farming 

* Auto accept duel

* Kill transfers party + items to box resetting players to noobville

And variables can be consistently adjusted after release like making party size 3, take out certain mons available, etc.

>Open World elements

I don't know what this is supposed to mean, but I actually already want to do a lot of dynamic overworld quests, similar to how GW2 plays. Unfortunately we haven't had time to pursue it yet, but the general idea is there with Phenomena- Group events where your success depends on eachother.

It means get away from the cookiecutter perfectly accurate rom.  Take out all the barriors in the water areas after the e4, allow us to cut through trees/burn them.  Things of that nature.  Then we can explore and find new islands and shit like that.

>PvP staking

A winner-take-all PvP tournament where you buy-in is something we can theoretically do, but for normal matchmaking, I'm not sure it's good. I think that splitting our already tiny PvP playerbase into additional automated categories isn't something we should do for the moment, and that this isn't the appropriate time to pursue additional game modes which aren't designated "official events."

I never even suggested for it to be automated, and that would be hella sketch, the player to player interaction that goes on with staking is amazing and its how you grow to trust someone.

I think that the Tournament system in general needs a lot of work, specifically adding additional formats like Double Elimination. But since people complain consistently that there is no "hype" around PvP tournaments, we're pursuing the more social aspects first.

Yeah like having us teleport to the arena when we spectate...... 

>Owning real estate in cities

We actually already do this with Secret Bases, but I guess what you're looking for is something more similar to Aion's towns, which from what I've played, nobody cared about, and only functioned as a money sink. I think that this is topical "content" at best, and it's extremely low on our priority list, but we've already talked about running custom Secret Base-like functionality in Castelia City. I think that we can all agree we have better things to do atm though.

Sure theres better shit, and sinks are good but secret bases suck cause they are on routes and can be shared and not truly "owned"

>Player Classes/levels

I think that this is really, extremely pointless considering you all have badges which represent your character's progress. Grinding out chievos is dumb, but we'll probably do it anyway when we have more time to allocate to pointless features.

Its not pointless because it awards different boosts at the highest levels, rewarding your for your long time spent.  Level 99 is no easy task and it brings so much satisfaction.

I don't think that the "entire community" hates the genderless breeding or Hidden Power changes. I think that a lot of people are, rightfully, very salty about their Dittos and Genderless pokes now being worth less, and that their perfect Hidden Power mons are now subject to new rulesets which requires them to rebreed to hit perfect stats. But, I don't think those things were good for the game, and I think that for every person whose Dittos were decimated, 100 people with a story like this existed:

Here the thing about ruining the ditto market.... Youve removed one of the biggest money making methods in the game!!!   The GTL friggin used to run on dittos.  Because dittos were soooo common, one could easily make a comp genderless only a few stats from perfect... with hidden power too!  so few people had the perfects that it was irrelevent, everyone used imperfect shit.

If you are not going to cite any specific examples, then your claims are baseless.

People keep asking me to cite examples but i always thought there was a rule where i cant call out other players?  If you wanna see look through old reports of mine of through this thread even.  Certain members of the TC, 1 in particular, is one of the most toxic ppl on these boards.

I think that you don't actually know how many players we have, either now or in 2012, because we don't release numbers.

Its really simple really.  When i play the game i keep track of how many people play pvp, as well as how many players i see around the gameworld....  In 2012 this game was LIT AS FUCK this is because many techs blogs wrote articles about this game as well as a 4chan thread almost always advertising the game.  Now i can tell its ded. 

24 minutes ago, Xatu said:

People keep asking me to cite examples but i always thought there was a rule where i cant call out other players?  If you wanna see look through old reports of mine of through this thread even.  Certain members of the TC, 1 in particular, is one of the most toxic ppl on these boards.

Can you tells us whether the name of this TC member rhymes with plug, mile, bone, ming, bra, weed, bio or with beta if you dont wanna be direct

we'll protect you

im doing the sakuramyu thing where i edit my post constantly

Edited by suigin

Allow me to explain what i meant by "fake content". While it may be new to this game, many of us are already familiar with it from playing on sims like pokemon shodown.  You guys arent nintendo its not a "new" ability.  Its just another ability in a list of 3 and all the arbitrary restrictions were literally invented to promote the flash game dream world bullshit.  Theres literally no reason to implement it that way other than to waste our time even further.  Like i said earlier the breeding process itself is plenty expensive/time consuming as it is.

I think that, if you regard any form of new PvE as "a waste of time", there isn't anything for me to convince you on. Let other people play it for you, then you can buy it after killing Morimoto 10 times.

It means get away from the cookiecutter perfectly accurate rom.  Take out all the barriors in the water areas after the e4, allow us to cut through trees/burn them.  Things of that nature.  Then we can explore and find new islands and shit like that.

I think this is really weird and doesn't actually do anything. In the end, you're still playing the same form of PvE, except with apparently destructible terrain, so isn't it "a grind"?

I never even suggested for it to be automated, and that would be hella sketch, the player to player interaction that goes on with staking is amazing and its how you grow to trust someone.

You can do this already by putting your money into an escrow and then distributing it to the victor. I think PSL already does this? I don't really pay attention though.

Its not pointless because it awards different boosts at the highest levels, rewarding your for your long time spent.  Level 99 is no easy task and it brings so much satisfaction.

I don't actually like gating crafting or general farming behind character-based levels. This is a stylistic choice I made when doing berry farming, to make sure that everyone had access to everything, because this game's audience is accustomed to a very casual experience before they even join our community. I don't think it would be good to reneg on it now.

Here the thing about ruining the ditto market.... Youve removed one of the biggest money making methods in the game!!!   The GTL friggin used to run on dittos.  Because dittos were soooo common, one could easily make a comp genderless only a few stats from perfect... with hidden power too!  so few people had the perfects that it was irrelevent, everyone used imperfect shit.

Oh well. Sorry. I don't think it was good for the game due to how centralized the market became on Ditto. It was a bit dumb, and we probably should have changed it when Gen 5 launched.

I don't manage player reports, but I looked through the Player Reports Archive, and didn't see any from you. This thread is a bit hard to read, so if you have any reports regarding the GMs or the Tier Council's behavior, please report it to myself, the SGMs, or @Squirtle via PM so that we can review their behavior. As far as I know though, there aren't any especially toxic GMs/TC members. (Aside from maybe gbwead, but he's a flamer, so meh)

Its really simple really.  When i play the game i keep track of how many people play pvp, as well as how many players i see around the gameworld....  In 2012 this game was LIT AS FUCK this is because many techs blogs wrote articles about this game as well as a 4chan thread almost always advertising the game.  Now i can tell its ded. 

Alright. I didn't realize that the amount of /vp/ spam corresponded to how active the game was, silly me. I'll fire up some bots for it and reddit.

I don't think this thread is going anywhere, or that there's anything left to discuss, so I'm going to end this here. I'm sorry that you're not happy with the changes.

Edited by Kyu
  • Kyu locked this topic