Implement single IV increase bottle caps

OrangeManiac

Question

For longest time, the concept of changing IVs after the hatching/catching of a Pokemon was a concept that the developers didn't want to touch. I could honestly see why. But times have changed in both PokeMMO and real games as well. The latest update clearly shows that the developers no longer want to protect the value of pre-existing Hidden Power comps so this opens a perfect opportunity to implement "bottle caps".

Bottle cap is a generation 7 item which allows a Pokemon to maximize one of its IVs. Now, I acknowledge that retrospectively maximizing an IV might be a bit too overpowered in the way PokeMMO currently works. But I think we could consider implementing a "bottle cap" type item which would raise an IV by one point. I think it would greatly compensate the players who lost their 30 speed HP Fire/Rock/Fight competitive Pokemon and offer them a quick easy fix. And not only that but just in general give an easy solution to Pokemon that are just that 1-2 IVs away from being desired.

Make it an BP item or something.

If you're concerned about having Hidden Power changing because of this, essentially making the Gems obsolete - either keep the HP before the IV change or make the bottle caps expensive enough.

Edited by OrangeManiac

20 answers to this question

First, it's not like the devs didn't know about bottle caps when they launched this latest patch. It was pretty clearly a conscious decision not to use this mechanic, and whether I agree with it or not, it's probably here to stay

Second, you can't please everyone. Couldn't you make the argument that this would devalue 6x31s or 31s in general? All those hours and effort going into making sure you had 31s and now people can just bottle cap their way there (even if we only allow 1 iv at a time, there'd still be people affected)

I do like the bottle cap mechanic in general, but I'm strongly doubting that this will become a thing here. Once people rebreed their hp fire/fight comps, this will be irrelevant anyway 

50 minutes ago, Gunthug said:

Second, you can't please everyone. Couldn't you make the argument that this would devalue 6x31s or 31s in general? All those hours and effort going into making sure you had 31s and now people can just bottle cap their way there (even if we only allow 1 iv at a time, there'd still be people affected)

Luckily you can determine some kind of a value for 6x31s thanks to the breeding brace costs that how much it takes to breed those 31s and so on. Making sure that bottlecapping wouldn't be the overall easiest way to get a 6x31 would be the solution for me. Now, I'll have to admit that making a some kind of a calculation about how expensive should it be to make a 6x31 out of 6x28 just using bottlecaps would be pretty hard compared to breeding a 6x31 from scratch. So that's kind of an issue.

I do like the bottle cap mechanic in general, but I'm strongly doubting that this will become a thing here. Once people rebreed their hp fire/fight comps, this will be irrelevant anyway 

Hey, one can only dream. I don't think the HP Fire/Fight comps is the only applicable use for this. Very often your Pokemon can just be that 1 IV away from what you want it to be and having a quickfix rather than starting something from scratch could improve things as far as I see.

Edited by OrangeManiac
52 minutes ago, Gunthug said:

The irony lmao.

11 minutes ago, pachima said:

The irony lmao.

That's what I'm trying to highlight. You can't complain the way you have about the way things were devalued last update but then advocate for something that could have the same exact effect. I'm glad you see the irony, maybe it'll give you some perspective 

Since the reason behind it Hidden Power breeding is now out of the window since u can alter it. I can see bottle cap being a balance to that if it can be used only on Hatched/Bred pokemon to compensate for this. And yeah, BP is better since HP breeding is mainly used in PvP.

1 hour ago, OrangeManiac said:

Luckily you can determine some kind of a value for 6x31s thanks to the breeding brace costs that how much it takes to breed those 31s and so on. Making sure that bottlecapping wouldn't be the overall easiest way to get a 6x31 would be the solution for me. Now, I'll have to admit that making a some kind of a calculation about how expensive should it be to make a 6x31 out of 6x28 just using bottlecaps would be pretty hard compared to breeding a 6x31 from scratch. So that's kind of an issue.

I'm not sure I quite understand what youre getting at here but I'm sick and at work so let me mull it over later when I get a better chance and I can think straight

1 hour ago, OrangeManiac said:

Hey, one can only dream. I don't think the HP Fire/Fight comps is the only applicable use for this. Very often your Pokemon can just be that 1 IV away from what you want it to be and having a quickfix rather than starting something from scratch could improve things as far as I see.

What I would personally support is a way to decrease IVs with a system like this - since with trick room and gyro ball, having low speed IVs has never been more important. I also don't think you really have to start from scratch in order to improve a comp's IVs right now - the existing comp is a pretty good starting point

1 hour ago, Gunthug said:

I'm not sure I quite understand what youre getting at here but I'm sick and at work so let me mull it over later when I get a better chance and I can think straight

My explanation was just poor so I'll try again step by step.

Hypothetical problem: Bottlecaps would become the new way to obtain perfect Pokemon, rather than 31 breeding.

Solution: Make sure that bottlecaps are expensive/difficult enough to get that "bottlecapping away" would not be an easier way to get a perfect comp than actually breeding 31s.

Question from solution 1: Well, as I was making a statement where we don't want bottlecapping to be an easier solution than breeding in order to get the perfect comps the question arises: How good the Pokemon hypothetically we would be bottlecapping should be in its starting point that it is acceptable that bottlecapping is an easier way to make a perfect Pokemon than 31 breeding. Should it already be near perfect at its starting point?

I was basically just showing the illogicality of my own statement that "bottlecapping should be harder than breeding".

1 hour ago, Gunthug said:

What I would personally support is a way to decrease IVs with a system like this - since with trick room and gyro ball, having low speed IVs has never been more important. 

Honestly, sure.

1 hour ago, suigin said:

If the grind to obtain them is big enough it shouldn't affect the prices of 31s. I'm not familiar exactly with how they work in SM but it would fix the issue of people not wanting to spend millions rebreeding stuff.

In SM you obtain them mainly from their "Festival Plaza" which is the online mode. You can get them from Battle Tree as well. Then you take the bottle cap and the Lv100 Pokemon you wait trained and speak with some NPC. I figure it could work the same here except you obtain the caps differently, maybe from Phenomenon or Dungeons.

On 3.3.2018 at 5:20 AM, notmudkip0 said:

In SM you obtain them mainly from their "Festival Plaza" which is the online mode. You can get them from Battle Tree as well. Then you take the bottle cap and the Lv100 Pokemon you wait trained and speak with some NPC. I figure it could work the same here except you obtain the caps differently, maybe from Phenomenon or Dungeons.

Yeah, the "being lv 100" part to me seems pretty stupid but glad they actually made increasing IVs a thing.

On 02/03/2018 at 8:43 PM, suigin said:

If the grind to obtain them is big enough it shouldn't affect the prices of 31s. I'm not familiar exactly with how they work in SM but it would fix the issue of people not wanting to spend millions rebreeding stuff.

just an idea like  that but what if we used the mysterious gem for the job and maybe combine them with brace for telling wich iv should be raised by one and make the cost like 10 mysterious gem (or 50 stats gem if they convert into 5 has well)