Pokemon IV Customization - Details & Info

Daedalus007

Question

IV Customization

Costs either PokeMoney and/or BattlePoints and/or CashShopPoints (should be at least 50% cheaper than buying optimal-meta versions)

Genetic Manipulation w/o Breeding
This won't affect the breeding market negatively because a bred pokemon with 31x5 IVs and a remaining 15 IV means 170 IV points total which is 50 more IV points and better stats overall.

How it Works:
-Choose a Pokemon to 'Genetically Manipulate' and it gets put into the PC for editing.

Fixed Point-Buy System:

-All six IV stats are set to 20 (120 IV points total) and you can 'subtract' points from one stat to 'add' to another stat.

RNG Reroll System:
You can choose to 'reroll stats' until you get a favorable number of stats with a guaranteed minimum of 120 IV points spread out randomly across all 6 stats.  Rerolling can be done up to 10 times every 24 hours and cost is required to be paid whether you accept or reject the changes entirely.  RNG Reroll will also (optionally) change Nature randomly as well for an additional cost.

Caveats/Balancing:
To further mitigate/remove the impact on the player trading and breeding economy, the following two caveats are implemented:
-Any Pokemon modified using any of the above methods become bound to you

-You may only modify Pokemon that have you listed as the OT.  This also includes any gifted/storyline Pokemon (ones with the Gift Ribbon) as well so they can potentially obtain a more long-term use.  

--This also means that ANY Pokemon that has already been hatched from an egg is NOT eligible for IV Customization, period.

13 answers to this question

5 hours ago, Daedalus007 said:

The breeding system is cheaper but it still isn't an option for those who lack the funds to participate in it.

Right, if they dont have the funds to participate in breeding, they sure as hell wont be able to participate in IV rerolling either. Making your statement irrelevant.
While its amusing to see you trying to bring features from other games here, what you fail to realize is that you can breed IV's in this game, so having a feature that removes and adds IV's is a bit pointless and in the long run, will only add to the cost of breeding anyway, catch 1 poke, reroll IV's for a solid 31 and breed. Sorry but i'd rather catch more wilds than spend a shit ton of cash on a single poke to make it a breeder.
Overall bad suggestion.

Edited by Malorne
1 hour ago, Malorne said:

Right, if they dont have the funds to participate in breeding, they sure as hell wont be able to participate in IV rerolling either. Making your statement irrelevant.
While its amusing to see you trying to bring features from other games here, what you fail to realize is that you can breed IV's in this game, so having a feature that removes and adds IV's is a bit pointless and in the long run, will only add to the cost of breeding anyway, catch 1 poke, reroll IV's for a solid 31 and breed. Sorry but i'd rather catch more wilds than spend a shit ton of cash on a single poke to make it a breeder.
Overall bad suggestion.

You really fail at reading comprehension alongside most of the other dorkos here.  What a shame, lmao.

IV rerolling would be significantly cheaper than breeding, especially since it would exist completely outside of the breeding economy due to the ones changed being bound to that character and untradeable.  This would allow the devs (if they implemented this) to make the cost cheap enough to offset the caveats of such a system.

I don't know what 'other game' you're talking about.  I've come up with this idea on my own, thanks :P

I'm fully aware that you can breed IVs and this is an alternative system completely outside of the breeding ecosystem.  You can't breed the ones you manipulate.  They're bound to you.  There is no breeding.  THERE IS NO BREEDING WHATSOEVER INVOLVED IN ANY POINT IN THE PROCESS.

Wish you worthless no-lifers would get a clue and hop off the breeding salt train to enjoy the actual game for once.  Just because dorkos like you invested money in a meta that was changed on a whim doesn't mean that every idea you don't like gets to be your new echo-chamber of idiocy.  Kindly fuck off if you aren't able or willing to read and understand the OP in the first place.

Obviously if a pokemon is BOUND to you then they can't be bred and there is no breeding involved at any point before, during, or after this process.  But since you and your cohorts are too stupid to read basic English, I'll go ahead and clarify that in the first post, just for you.  Cheers.

2 hours ago, Daedalus007 said:

You really fail at reading comprehension alongside most of the other dorkos here.  What a shame, lmao.

IV rerolling would be significantly cheaper than breeding, especially since it would exist completely outside of the breeding economy due to the ones changed being bound to that character and untradeable.  This would allow the devs (if they implemented this) to make the cost cheap enough to offset the caveats of such a system.

I don't know what 'other game' you're talking about.  I've come up with this idea on my own, thanks :P

I'm fully aware that you can breed IVs and this is an alternative system completely outside of the breeding ecosystem.  You can't breed the ones you manipulate.  They're bound to you.  There is no breeding.  THERE IS NO BREEDING WHATSOEVER INVOLVED IN ANY POINT IN THE PROCESS.

Wish you worthless no-lifers would get a clue and hop off the breeding salt train to enjoy the actual game for once.  Just because dorkos like you invested money in a meta that was changed on a whim doesn't mean that every idea you don't like gets to be your new echo-chamber of idiocy.  Kindly fuck off if you aren't able or willing to read and understand the OP in the first place.

Obviously if a pokemon is BOUND to you then they can't be bred and there is no breeding involved at any point before, during, or after this process.  But since you and your cohorts are too stupid to read basic English, I'll go ahead and clarify that in the first post, just for you.  Cheers.

Except, re-rolling IV's wont keep pokemon exempt of breeding, meaning that it will also allow players to re-roll IV's of a single pokemon to create a breeder. Just because you're thinking of it as a system of its own, you can't stop it from being used in the system of old. Unless Re-rolled pokemon will receive a gift ribbon, which you failed to add or even consider in your original post.

EDIT: atta boy, you finally added it in. took you long enough. 
Regardless, hunting for good pokemon and whatnot is a part of this game and people quite like it. Sorry, but i dont think your suggestion will do any good to this game, and by that i mean it will make finding a few good stuff easier for storyline. Which defeats the whole purpose of making gameplay harder useless. Kindly fuck off if you don't enjoy the mechanics of this game.

Edited by Malorne
23 hours ago, Daedalus007 said:

This won't affect the breeding market negatively because a bred pokemon with 31x5 IVs and a remaining 15 IV means 170 IV points total which is 50 more IV points and better stats overall.

How it Works:
-Choose a Pokemon to 'Genetically Manipulate' and it gets put into the PC for editing.

Fixed Point-Buy System:

-All six IV stats are set to 20 (120 IV points total) and you can 'subtract' points from one stat to 'add' to another stat.

Im pretty sure nothing like this will be simply implemented. We have breeding system that allows you to get any ivs u want on most pokemons and there is simply no need for this "feature" to get implemented. It would literally take time for nothing.

Also, Im sorry guys, but Im pretty sure you can act like decent human and not throw insults at each other. 

1 hour ago, Bearminator said:

Im pretty sure nothing like this will be simply implemented. We have breeding system that allows you to get any ivs u want on most pokemons and there is simply no need for this "feature" to get implemented. It would literally take time for nothing.
Also, Im sorry guys, but Im pretty sure you can act like decent human and not throw insults at each other. 

Breeding requires time and resources that aren't available to those who are new(ish) to the game or haven't sat and read the giant walls of text for breeding guides.

I could say 'taking time for nothing' of the phenomena system added into Unova (and only Unova).

I could say the same for that 2FA system that is still broken ;)

I could counter that the devs have 'taken time for nothing' on many many aspects of PokeMMO but you should get the idea that type of commentary doesn't help anyone.

This would essentially help new people become far more aware of EVs and IVs and Natures and stuff without the mandate of studying it like a second job.

Since a majority of your players are casual (total players vs the ones who actually participate/read forums) and even moreso a large portion of your players are non-English speakers, this kind of intuitive built-in system has zero impact on the economy (no breeding or breedability involved and all alterted mons are bound to trainer).

The results are sub-optimal and not part of the meta at all.  If the devs are worried about PvP they should know this would actively encourage PvP far more often (easily change a mon to test out new builds/natures and their impact on the game) without the significant time and monetary investment of standard breeding.  You'd literally be providing tools for people to change strategies almost on the fly (though learning moves from TMs/HMs/tutors would be a thing).

For PvP purposes, the lack of breeding-exclusive moves and far less IVs to work with means that none of these altered mons are a serious threat to the PvP meta either.  If you want to look at IVs, then having 31x5 or 31x6 is far more competitive than having 27/31/31/0/0/31 for instance.  There's no real way to be competitive based on IVs outside of pure RNG with rerolling.  Not everything is even required.  Could be IV-customization or rerolling or both depending on what the devs want to do.  Rerolled and/or IV-altered pokemon could be blocked from PvP entirely if necessary.  Stick in a ribbon for them that shows up if either of those aspects are done.  Put in a quick check for the presence of the ribbon in any active-pokemon slot before allowing people to PvP (outside of duels) or even an option to ban them for duels also.

Now if this was something that couldn't be done in the game at all, I'd be far more understanding of it but I have yet to see one reasonable rebuttal to this other than a breeding excuse.  Not everyone has the time, money, or inclination to give a damn about breeding or read up on it or acquire the materials or do the research/work required for actual breeding and no amount of hand-holding tutorials in-game (which take a lot more time to create) would fix that.

The 'other' Pokemon online game completely removed breeding completely precisely because of the hassle it brings with 'perfect' Pokemon being almost required in Competitive Play.  Meaning only those who are veterans could get in on PvP meaning the complaints about 'not enough opponents' would just continue.  The changes of the 27-Feb-2018 patch were meant to reduce the gap to get into genderless breeding but the majority of players just aren't even interested in being a breeder at all.

So to summarize

-Doesn't affect the economy

-Doesn't involve or affect breeding economy whatsoever

-Doesn't alter or reduce demand for 'real' bred comp-competitive Pokemon for PvP

-Not anywhere near the competitive capability of 'real' bred Pokemon for PvP as having two 'zero' IVs just to optimize the others doesn't really help.

-Helps casuals and non-English speakers understand EVs and IVs and Natures with significantly less time and money investment

-I guess it makes the storyline 'easier' only if you believe that EVs and IVs and Natures being optimal is that much of an advantage for storyline enemies; then changes can be made to alter difficulty further if needed (although many are saying the Elite 4 is 'too hard' already).
--Having all 20 IVs and optimal nature on a Pokemon is barely better than gifted/storyline Pokemon with all 15s so I don't see how this hurts difficulty.

-Devs have many tools to prevent any of these from even being used in any kind of PvP matches if needed.

Edited by Daedalus007
On 28/02/2018 at 4:55 PM, Daedalus007 said:

I unfortunately lack the time to properly sit down and dissect this idea in full, but I wanted to point out that it would affect the breeding market negatively, as any method outside of breeding (that doesn't sink 'mons) will detract from the amount of monsters being taken out of the economy; something which is a necessity in a game where they are constantly being caught and added to the existing pool.

This results in less monsters sold, and possible some level of inflation due to more monsters being caught than are being removed.

21 minutes ago, Daedalus007 said:

The 'other' Pokemon online game completely removed breeding completely precisely because of the hassle it brings with 'perfect' Pokemon being almost required in Competitive Play. 

And interestingly, they added IV Re-roll. 

7 minutes ago, Darkshade said:

I unfortunately lack the time to properly sit down and dissect this idea in full, but I wanted to point out that it would affect the breeding market negatively, as any method outside of breeding (that doesn't sink 'mons) will detract from the amount of monsters being taken out of the economy; something which is a necessity in a game where they are constantly being caught and added to the existing pool.

This results in less monsters sold, and possible some level of inflation due to more monsters being caught than are being removed.

Look at the IVs I posted (with the 120 Max IVs idea).

There's a big difference between a bred pokemon with breeding-exclusive moves and optimal nature/stats (5x31 and optimal nature and all that)
Versus
A customized pokemon with 3x31 and 27 points left over (or just leave at all 20 IVs) to spend in other categories with optimal nature.

You're presuming people without the money to even buy the bred optimal mons will spend even less money if they can experiment and customize IVs in a suboptimal manner.

3 minutes ago, Malorne said:

And interestingly, they added IV Re-roll. 

I haven't kept track of them since none of my mons could even reach level 15 to compete in the first Gym against Brock due to the obscene XP grind they put in.

What they do is irrelevant to this discussion since PokeMMO does things differently (and usually better).

Edited by Daedalus007
Just now, Daedalus007 said:

Look at the IVs I posted (with the 120 Max IVs idea).

There's a big difference between a bred pokemon with breeding-exclusive moves and optimal nature/stats (5x31 and optimal nature and all that)
Versus
A customized pokemon with 3x31 and 27 points left over (or just leave at all 20 IVs) to spend in other categories with optimal nature.

I did, and I agree there is a difference in those two scenarios.

1 minute ago, Daedalus007 said:

You're presuming people without the money to even buy the bred optimal mons will spend even less money if they can experiment and customize IVs in a suboptimal manner.

No, I'm not.

I'm not assuming that they're purchasing optimal mons, I am putting forward the notion that they're purchasing mons that they could use to create those of a similar standard to the ones used in your examples - something they would no longer be doing (or at least be doing less of) if they could manipulate the IVs without needing to sink other monsters.

14 minutes ago, Darkshade said:

I did, and I agree there is a difference in those two scenarios.

No, I'm not.

I'm not assuming that they're purchasing optimal mons, I am putting forward the notion that they're purchasing mons that they could use to create those of a similar standard to the ones used in your examples - something they would no longer be doing (or at least be doing less of) if they could manipulate the IVs without needing to sink other monsters.

Only thing it would really do is make all those garbage-IV-pokemon that would otherwise be released have some use to a person.

But if the devs want that to be a money/time sink then I can see what you mean.  It isn't as if money is already difficult to obtain in large-enough quantities that people quitting the game have literally gone around throwing 100k+ at random newbies just to help them afford enough PokeBalls to 'catch em all'.

I don't feel that making the storyline like this is good for the playerbase but I guess that's why I'm not developing it ;)

As far as Pokemon Lore is concerned, the 'genetic manipulation' idea comes from MewToo of Gen1.  It is something that has already been done before in the Pokemon universe  and in the massive time-gap since Gen1 days the ideas would've been refined quite a bit since then.

Maybe devs should just make everyone Nuzlocke the storyline for 'teh ULTIMATE challenge11!!11!!'

Edited by Daedalus007