Update Discussion thread 27/2/18

Blue

Just now, ThePrettyPetard said:

if i wasn't one of those making argument i would be next to you enjoying the show

I just gave up lol. You actually came with an unbiased perspective of the situation, but nah. > logic in this forums. I now just enjoy!!!

7 minutes ago, Gunthug said:

The entire reason I support this update is that the competitive community benefits right now - not just in the future. Again, I have no sympathy for people who wasted their time breeding 6x0 genderless or put all their money in dittos for some stuoid reason. The competitive players drive thus community and we've struggled getting more to join the ranks for years 

so at this point your sort of admitting that your whole argument was either arguing something that i wasn't arguing about in the first place of that your whole argument could have been summed up to i don't give a fuck

9 minutes ago, pachima said:

I just gave up lol. You actually came with an unbiased perspective of the situation, but nah. > logic in this forums. I now just enjoy!!!

sorry to ruin the fun a little i just enjoy talking with pure logic sometimes

35 minutes ago, Gunthug said:

Feel free to quote me when you're subtweeting. Just spare us another wall of illogical text about why this is the last straw and you're quitting now 

LMAO. I legit didnt think of you in particular. I won´t lie and say you are not part of it either, but my post was literally directed to the arguments made, in general.

If you think I have a side over this, you are just wrong. I actually think update was nice and needed. The points covered by the update now were well made and more accessible to everyone, but that isn´t and never was the point of my deception over the update itself. However, when I scroll through this and find out both sides decided to ignore half of what happened to focus on the half that suits them best, this over and over again (And no, not only you, but actually everyone in this forums), I cant help but to shed a smile for such 300 IQ.

The real problem, however, I am yet to see it tackled, which is even funnier. I tackled it already, but for some odd reason (Not so odd in this game actually), people just ignored and kept spamming their precious halfsided arguments,  so I see no reason to repeat myself. 

In sum, no, I have no grudge on you, or anyone in this forums. I can´t also pick a side cause both are spamming the same wrong arguments. @ThePrettyPetard is the only one close to the main problem of the update, even though not quite, but seriously, all your responses towards it have literally no sense.  (And I mean all, not just you)

Edit:

"so at this point your sort of admitting that your whole argument was either arguing something that i wasn't arguing about in the first place of that your whole argument could have been summed up to i don't give a fuck"  @ThePrettyPetard

Pretty much this.

Edited by pachima
1 minute ago, pachima said:

LMAO. I legit didnt think of you in particular. I won´t lie and say you are not part of it either, but my post was literally directed to the arguments made, in general.

If you think I have a side over this, you are just wrong. I actually think update was nice and needed. The points covered by the update now were well made and more accessible to everyone, but that isn´t and never was the point of my deception over the update itself. However, when I scroll through this and find out both sides decided to ignore half of what happened to focus on the half that suits them best, this over and over again (And no, not only you, but actually everyone in this forums), I cant help but to shed a smile for such 300 IQ.

The real problem, however, I am yet to see it tackled, which is even funnier. I tackled it already, but for some odd reason (Not so odd in this game actually), people just ignored and kept spamming their precious halfsided arguments,  so I see no reason to repeat myself. 

In sum, no, I have no grudge on you, or anyone in this forums. I can´t also pick a side cause both are spamming the same wrong arguments. @ThePrettyPetard is the only one close to the main problem of the update, even though not quite, but seriously, all your responses towards it have literally no sense.  (And I mean all, not just you)

What's the real problem, the devaluation of dittos? Or the prior 30 speed hp fire/fight pokes being slightly inferior now?

I stopped farming this game a while ago and I never had any highest tier genderless mons so I personally didn't lose much anything at all because of this update so put this to "personal bias" all I fucking care... but I understand all the people who aren't too thrilled about the fact their things they used countless resources are now worthless. The biggest thing that baffles me is the lack of consistency about all of this artificially changed economy balance what comes to both genderless breeding and Hidden Power comps.

Just because people asked easy genderless breeding before and now we get it 2 years later (something that COULD have been implemented the very moment it was evident that something is unbalanced) doesn't mean that "lol you have your fix now, don't complain scrublords". Why was there a sudden need for such a 180 to this mechanic? When the prior genderless breeding was first introduced,everyone obviously knew what that would result in - and that's incredibly hard to obtain highest tier genderless mons. And rather than fixing it immediately it's evident that it's unbalanced, the change happens after what.... 2 years?

About Gems being able to change Hidden Power to pre-existing mons - I absolutely love the fact it's implemented. But it also seems like a very weird 180 turn to me. Prior Hidden Power comps were actually overprotected when the HP changer NPC became a thing. Rather than having a reasonable 0-1 changes in IVs to get a desired HP, it was demanded that you would really have to pay for this feature with the expense of your IVs just so that the prior HP comps wouldn't become useless.

Just for the record, I'm not talking about every economy changing feature there is in the game. Only the ones that are artificially changeable. Some of the economy changes are inevitable, a side effect to new introduced main mechanics. That's fine, it happens. But I'm not buying the argument at all that "if it overall benefits the game, you can't be pissed". You absolutely can be. Mechanics that are artificially changeable should have some consistency in order to keep the playerbase to feel like at least something about this game is fair.

31 minutes ago, OrangeManiac said:

I stopped farming this game a while ago and I never had any highest tier genderless mons so I personally didn't lose much anything at all because of this update so put this to "personal bias" all I fucking care... but I understand all the people who aren't too thrilled about the fact their things they used countless resources are now worthless. The biggest thing that baffles me is the lack of consistency about all of this artificially changed economy balance what comes to both genderless breeding and Hidden Power comps.

Just because people asked easy genderless breeding before and now we get it 2 years later (something that COULD have been implemented the very moment it was evident that something is unbalanced) doesn't mean that "lol you have your fix now, don't complain scrublords". Why was there a sudden need for such a 180 to this mechanic? When the prior genderless breeding was first introduced,everyone obviously knew what that would result in - and that's incredibly hard to obtain highest tier genderless mons. And rather than fixing it immediately it's evident that it's unbalanced, the change happens after what.... 2 years?

About Gems being able to change Hidden Power to pre-existing mons - I absolutely love the fact it's implemented. But it also seems like a very weird 180 turn to me. Prior Hidden Power comps were actually overprotected when the HP changer NPC became a thing. Rather than having a reasonable 0-1 changes in IVs to get a desired HP, it was demanded that you would really have to pay for this feature with the expense of your IVs just so that the prior HP comps wouldn't become useless.

Just for the record, I'm not talking about every economy changing feature there is in the game. Only the ones that are artificially changeable. Some of the economy changes are inevitable, a side effect to new introduced main mechanics. That's fine, it happens. But I'm not buying the argument at all that "if it overall benefits the game, you can't be pissed". You absolutely can be. Mechanics that are artificially changeable should have some consistency in order to keep the playerbase to feel like at least something about this game is fair.

very well said i think. changes are a part of any game although in genderless case a good genderless for comp cost maybe 2.5m which is say 2.5 pokes normal so this made it more challenging and meant you actually had to try hard for me rather than making it so easy both genderless and hidden power that there is no advantage. those who love and play the game alot dont get any benefit from this update which is a shame and i hope they implement something back in to reward those who play the game more rather than just make the game easy and boring

30 minutes ago, Imbatman said:

those who love and play the game alot dont get any benefit from this update

but it will make more people keep playing the game. i understand that some people are mad because they got fkd by this update, but at the same time you gotta see that the changes that were made keep the game alive. i dont see the benefit in being filthy rich when 10 people play the game - shits worthless anyways without an actual playerbase.

high price to be paid, sure, but better than having the game die in 6 months because nobody wants to put in the grind we had to put in. and if you have been around between announcement of the update and it actually happening you should know that people were tired af and that the game was actually dead. and since you´re no starting at 0 its not like somebody took everything you owned away from you and forced you to start from scratch,  i dont get that "we´ve been robbed" attitude. if servers get shut down cause nobody plays the game anymore, thats when you really get fkd.

i also dont see how perfect ditto comps are completely worthless now. they still show when they hatched and the fact that they are now easier to obtain should make them even more exclusive. sucks for comp players, cause they literally have trash comps in their boxes, but thats it. you still have an advantage over newer players unless every comp you own is hp fire, psychic, rock or fighting.

Edited by DrButler
2 minutes ago, DrButler said:

but it will make more people keep playing the game. i understand that some people are mad because they got fkd by this update, but at the same time you gotta see that the changes that were made keep the game alive. i dont see the benefit in being filthy rich when 10 people play the game - shits worthless anyways without an actual playerbase.

high price to be paid, sure, but better than having the game die in 6 months because nobody wants to put in the grind we had to put in. and if you have been around between announcement of the update and it actually happening you should know that people were tired af and that the game was actually dead. and since you´re no starting at 0 its not like somebody took everything you owned away from you and forced you to start from scratch,  i dont get that "we´ve been robbed" attitude. if servers get shut down cause nobody plays the game anymore, thats when you really get fkd.

i also dont see how perfect ditto comps are completely worthless now. they still show when they hatched and the fact that they are now easier to obtain should make them even more exclusive. sucks for comp players, cause they literally have trash comps in their boxes, but thats it. you still have an advantage over newer players unless every comp you own is hp fire, psychic, rock or fighting.

I struggle my mind to understand why people truly think the only way genderless breed was to be changed would be with fucking some people this hard. I spent a whole 20 secs of my life to find ways to benefit newer players as much as they did, while the other players, while still fucked, would be by a much less margin.

1 minute ago, pachima said:

I struggle my mind to understand why people truly think the only way genderless breed was to be changed would be with fucking some people this hard. I spent a whole 20 secs of my life to find ways to benefit newer players as much as they did, while the other players, while still fucked, would be by a much less margin.

go for staff and influence things then.

1 hour ago, OrangeManiac said:

What good does it do anyone to say "they should have made these changes earlier?" That's such an unproductive mindset, I see no reason to dwell on the things that just got fixed. Also, there's a massive difference between "being pissed about the update" and what we've seen on this thread - massive hyperbolic statements about the game and devs, people "quitting" because of these atrocities, etc.

You and I have been here a long time, this happens every update and it's nothing but people blowing smoke. Why would you fan the flames? 

2 hours ago, DrButler said:

go for staff and influence things then.

Not to be mean or anything but just because you become part of the staff team does not mean you have any influence or knowledge of future game mechanics. Future game mechanics and balance techniques are discussed and driven by a very select few staff spearheaded by Kyu.

1 minute ago, Squirtle said:

Not to be mean or anything but just because you become part of the staff team does not mean you have any influence or knowledge of future game mechanics. Future game mechanics and balance techniques are discussed and driven by a very select few staff spearheaded by Kyu.

so theres no way to ever enter the inner circle?

1 hour ago, Gunthug said:

You and I have been here a long time, this happens every update and it's nothing but people blowing smoke. Why would you fan the flames? 

You have to put yourself in the shoes of the players of this game tho; long term the changes are great, but such changes also set a bad precedent. It shows that the PokeMMO's economy is rather fragile and unstable if whenever there is an update we get drastic changes like these. Why invest time and efforts in this game if there is a definite possibility that at any moment all the time you spent grinding could be worth nothing in couple of months? PvP players' assets in comps have been heavily devalued. Old HP mons are now outclassed and old genderless mons will be inferior to the new ones. Comp players will for the most part have to rebreed several pokemons and, even tho breeding those mons is easier, it remains significant grind. Old players stopping the game because of this update isn't that surprising; the only thing we can hope for here is that the influx of new players will at least compensate for the outflux of old players.

1 minute ago, gbwead said:

You have to put yourself in the shoes of the players of this game tho; long term the changes are great, but such changes also set a bad precedent. It shows that the PokeMMO's economy is rather fragile and unstable if whenever there is an update we get drastic changes like these. Why invest time and efforts in this game if there is a definite possibility that at any moment all the time you spent grinding could be worth nothing in couple of months? PvP players' assets in comps have been heavily devalued. Old HP mons are now outclassed and old genderless mons will be inferior to the new ones. Comp players will for the most part have to rebreed several pokemons and, even tho breeding those mons is easier, it remains significant grind. Old players stopping the game because of this update isn't that surprising; the only thing we can hope for here is that the influx of new players will at least compensate for the outflux of old players.

Could not have said it better myself.

2 minutes ago, gbwead said:

You are willfully ignoring the reality of the situation - that every update gets us a little closer to a finished product. There will only be as many "drastic changes to the economy" updates as there are issues so big they require drastic changes to the economy.

Also, the stated goal of the devs has been to force people to actually play the game. They've never been comfortable with the thought that you can be "done" building comps and therefore have no reason to log on for anything but tournaments. That's why we keep seeing mechanics encouraging people to breed and make stuff - and that has obviously turned a lot of people away (myself included). But there are an enormous amount of factors that lead to old player decline aside from just these updates, and you know that. Is anyone actually quitting because of this update? I've seen a few loudmouths declare it to try to get attention but I have my doubts that we're seeing real valuable competitive players actually leaving just because of this. You know who probably left the game? People who literally all they did was breed genderless mons and collect huge sums of money for it. And guess what? We don't really need that particular niche anymore, so...

5 hours ago, Gunthug said:

You are willfully ignoring the reality of the situation - that every update gets us a little closer to a finished product. There will only be as many "drastic changes to the economy" updates as there are issues so big they require drastic changes to the economy.

Also, the stated goal of the devs has been to force people to actually play the game. They've never been comfortable with the thought that you can be "done" building comps and therefore have no reason to log on for anything but tournaments. That's why we keep seeing mechanics encouraging people to breed and make stuff - and that has obviously turned a lot of people away (myself included). But there are an enormous amount of factors that lead to old player decline aside from just these updates, and you know that. Is anyone actually quitting because of this update? I've seen a few loudmouths declare it to try to get attention but I have my doubts that we're seeing real valuable competitive players actually leaving just because of this. You know who probably left the game? People who literally all they did was breed genderless mons and collect huge sums of money for it. And guess what? We don't really need that particular niche anymore, so...

Tiers evolve by themselves and no amount of humanly possible grind would be in any way enough for someone to be "done" building comps. Even if it was possible (really it isn't), don't you think adding a new pvp format like RU or VGC would be more reasonable than forcing people to rebreed mons? Genderless and hp breeding haven't changed for the longest time and it was never really adressed as an issue until now. I heard several time from staff that "it's okay for some mons to be more difficult to get than others". You can't really blame players affected negatively by these changes for being upset when for a very long time the genderless and hp breeding issue was discarded. Nearly every aspect of the MMO economy can become an issue that needs fixing depending on how you look at things. Ressources are always limited in an economy and that is fine, but here devs are the ones that decide how limited the ressources are, so they dictate what kind of economy we get, they decide what is an issue and what isn't. 

Like I just said, this update is good long term, but sets a bad precedent as well. The genderless breeding system or hp breeding system could have been seen as unfair, the system could have been designed to be easier than what it was, but couldn't that be said about pretty much everything? What will happen to male only pokemons for instance? They were unaffected by this change. Is that unfair? Will devs make it easier for the players to get the male exclusive mons or is the old mechanic good enough? You can't really go out of your way to mock the players complaining about this change by saying how obvious it was that these were issues that were going to get fixed eventually. Prior to SUMO, 31 iv for HP Fire was impossible, right? If a 2016 MMO player breeds an HP Fire Roselia, would you have been able to tell him how obvious it was that his comp would be devalued now? Ofc not, 31 iv HP mons weren't even in official games yet.

Edited by gbwead
6 hours ago, Gunthug said:

What good does it do anyone to say "they should have made these changes earlier?" That's such an unproductive mindset, I see no reason to dwell on the things that just got fixed. Also, there's a massive difference between "being pissed about the update" and what we've seen on this thread - massive hyperbolic statements about the game and devs, people "quitting" because of these atrocities, etc.

While I can definitely agree that there has been a large amount of hyperbolic statements and very poor quality complaint posts, they're partly fueled by comments that discredit their position to complain. I don't really see anyone posting multiple times that "this fucking sucks" unless someone quotes them or in some other way re-engages the discussion with them.

I don't find any inherent need to really defend anyone. I just comment things as the way I see them. Like I said, when drastic economic changes happen inevitably (let's say 'the implementation of breeding' as the most extreme example), then I agree that is kind of thing is pointless to complain because there's nothing to do to avoid massive economy changes. But a large part of this update was literally just to tamper with the mechanics that have existed for a such a long time that the playerbase had accepted that this is the way PokeMMO works. Honestly, if you want people to play this game rather than Pokemon battle simulators - this is exactly what the administrations has to be careful with.

And lastly, it's completely opinion based whether any of these changes is exactly a "fix". It's a change of mechanics but not objectively a fix. Implementing missing abilities and items is a fix and no one would complain if that happened later than not happen at all. But this isn't applicable because it was labeled as PokeMMO's core working mechanic.

6 hours ago, OrangeManiac said:

While I can definitely agree that there has been a large amount of hyperbolic statements and very poor quality complaint posts, they're partly fueled by comments that discredit their position to complain. I don't really see anyone posting multiple times that "this fucking sucks" unless someone quotes them or in some other way re-engages the discussion with them.

I don't find any inherent need to really defend anyone. I just comment things as the way I see them. Like I said, when drastic economic changes happen inevitably (let's say 'the implementation of breeding' as the most extreme example), then I agree that is kind of thing is pointless to complain because there's nothing to do to avoid massive economy changes. But a large part of this update was literally just to tamper with the mechanics that have existed for a such a long time that the playerbase had accepted that this is the way PokeMMO works. Honestly, if you want people to play this game rather than Pokemon battle simulators - this is exactly what the administrations has to be careful with.

And lastly, it's completely opinion based whether any of these changes is exactly a "fix". It's a change of mechanics but not objectively a fix. Implementing missing abilities and items is a fix and no one would complain if that happened later than not happen at all. But this isn't applicable because it was labeled as PokeMMO's core working mechanic.

Alright so your first paragraph states absolutely nothing of value other than accusing me of instigating complaints which is ridiculous, and also completely glossing over those who have been complaining not only on this thread but in game.

Second paragraph is kind of amazing, that you characterize an update that largely moves us closer to battle simulator style mechanics as "something the admins have to be careful with" so we don't lose players to battle aims

And lastly, if you think no one is going to complain when things like hidden abilities are implemented then buddy I've got some bad news for you 

11 minutes ago, Gunthug said:

Alright so your first paragraph states absolutely nothing of value other than accusing me of instigating complaints which is ridiculous, and also completely glossing over those who have been complaining not only on this thread but in game.

Well, first all I didn't refer only to you. Second of all, I didn't say that you instigated anything here rather than saying that if you discredit the people who rightfully complain about something, you're just gonna get more complaining. Not saying that you shouldn't do any of that but I'm sure you know perfectly fine that it just creates more arguments.

Second paragraph is kind of amazing, that you characterize an update that largely moves us closer to battle simulator style mechanics as "something the admins have to be careful with" so we don't lose players to battle aims

And this is the whole reason you made me respond to you again. 

My point obviously was the fact that no one wants to farm this game if out of nowhere, without any proper reasoning from game-development perspective your Pokemon you have used so much time and energy for are suddenly not up to par anymore. That is what makes people leave the game and that is why I drew the parallel to battle simulators that the people who are here to battle can tolerate only so much economy changing in a game this grindy that they might eventually just abandon this whole "economy" side of Pokemon and concentrate only on the "battle" part of all of this. You're using the battle simulator comparison in a completely wrong sense intended from my argument and I'm sure you knew that, makes me only think why do you wanna mispresent my point of view so badly.

And lastly, if you think no one is going to complain when things like hidden abilities are implemented then buddy I've got some bad news for you 

Well, I hate repeating my points in the same thread but here's again where I'd find that the economy changes are inevitable. That something actually new implemented to the game that prior was not able to been implemented and if that changes economy drastically then that's just plainly unfortunate but at least there was no intent to artificially change the economy. Where I'm coming from, my concern is not to have "the least amount of people complain" rather than "having the game fair for the highest number of people possible".

6 minutes ago, OrangeManiac said:

And this is the whole reason you made me respond to you again. 

My point obviously was the fact that no one wants to farm this game if out of nowhere, without any proper reasoning from game-development perspective your Pokemon you have used so much time and energy for are suddenly not up to par anymore. That is what makes people leave the game and that is why I drew the parallel to battle simulators that the people who are here to battle can tolerate only so much economy changing in a game this grindy that they might eventually just abandon this whole "economy" side of Pokemon and concentrate only on the "battle" part of all of this. You're using the battle simulator comparison in a completely wrong sense intended from my argument and I'm sure you knew that, makes me only think why do you wanna mispresent my point of view so badly.

I'm not trying to misrepresent you, I know exactly what you were trying to say and I still think you're wrong and my point stands. It's hard to deny that these mechanic changes, which in the short term do have a devaluation effect on a lot of comp players Pokemon, have a fantastic long term benefit. Going forward, it will be much less of a grind to make both hidden power comps and genderless comps - whether you have to grind less to make it yourself or grind less to get the money to buy one. Less grind = more time to battle, what most of us are here to do.  Perhaps it's the fact that I'm removed from the short term consequences that allows me to see the long term benefits so clearly 

6 minutes ago, OrangeManiac said:

Well, I hate repeating my points in the same thread but here's again where I'd find that the economy changes are inevitable. That something actually new implemented to the game that prior was not able to been implemented and if that changes economy drastically then that's just plainly unfortunate but at least there was no intent to artificially change the economy. Where I'm coming from, my concern is not to have "the least amount of people complain" rather than "having the game fair for the highest number of people possible".

I think the game is now fair for the highest number of people. I think the changes people are complaining about have only incidental effects on the economy - with the main goal being to make comp more accessible to more players by reducing the grind involced in obtaining key comps. Just because we didn't get new Pokemon or abilities doesn't mean thus update wasn't a step in the right direction, even if there are some short term hurdles for comp players 

I don't know why everyone is much angry. Dittos are still valuable for example if u need a comp metangross u need hunt beldums with 31 IV and everyone know that beldums are insanely rare and harder to catch. So I don't think everyone goes for perfect metangross and what about porygon  gonna buy porygon breeders using GC coins at high price. I'm sure that dittos always gonna be helpful side by hand. 

1 hour ago, Gunthug said:

Second paragraph is kind of amazing, that you characterize an update that largely moves us closer to battle simulator style mechanics as "something the admins have to be careful with" so we don't lose players to battle aim

We are not and will never be anywhere near battle simulator mechanics. The fact that we are closer to them or not is completly irrelevant. Also, I'm dying to use an analogy here, but I fear that will only lead to you focusing on dismantling it and missing the point xD

48 minutes ago, Gunthug said:

I think the game is now fair for the highest number of people. I think the changes people are complaining about have only incidental effects on the economy - with the main goal being to make comp more accessible to more players by reducing the grind involced in obtaining key comps. Just because we didn't get new Pokemon or abilities doesn't mean thus update wasn't a step in the right direction, even if there are some short term hurdles for comp players 

There will be grind reduction for more players only if we gain more players than the ones we lost. The grind didn't go down for people that had the comps already; it went up; they didn't have to grind for these comps and now they do. Also, Hidden Power comps are not really more accessible, it's arguable what costs more time and effort between specific ivs grind and gems grinding.