Class System

Xatu

Question

I think to make the game a more immersive MMO experience and to separate it more from main-line pokemon games; we should implement some sort of class system

* You can have 1 class at a time

* Static classes apply to everyone all the time

* Classes are chosen anytime after you complete atleast 1 region

* Only 1 Class is allowed to be chosen at a time (besides static classes)

* Classes have exp and levels 1-99

* Classes can be changed at any time, levels/exp remain

Here are some examples of what classes we could have:

Pokemon Trainer 

- Exclusive Features of this class

* Battle Box (6 mons available to be used for battle at any time)

* Player ran Gyms/e4

* Player ran Gyms award a new item-type, Elemental Badges (using them in the overworld makes it 25% more likely to encounter that type for 2 hours)

* Special trophies (for player owned real estate) and vanities for elite 4 members

* Wins as a gym trainer/gym leader/e4  and champ all award monetary payouts

- Mechanics of this class

Matchmaking, ranked, tournament wins, player ran gym wins all award exp (exp is always added for wins regardless whether  you are registered as that class as that time)

* After level 25 you can apply to be a trainer at player ran gyms

* Level 50 you can apply for a Gym Leader position

* Level 90 you can apply for the player ran elite 4

* Level 99 you can apply for the Champion spot

Note: "Applying" means battling for your spot with another high level player, if you enter the gym and no player fills that role at that time and you have the right then you may automatically take the role, a clone sprite is placed in the gym until you log out and when someone challenges you automatically start the battle with your battle box 

Team Rocket

- Exclusive Features of this class
* Ability to steal Pokemon from NPCs and Pokemon Police Officers, and whatever item they hold

* Ability to sell stolen Pokemon/items directly to an NPC for profit

- User Pokemon worth much more

* Gang rank system (tied to levels) and quotas

* Infamy meter

- Players with higher infamy award high payouts for pokemon police officers, being caught resets infamy, the player with the highest infamy becomes the boss of team rocket

- Special Mechanics of this class

* Team Rocket headquarters only accessible when in the class

* Team rocket uniform + hat is given to the player, untradeable, mandatory to wear

Police Officer

- Exclusive Features of this Class

* Taking down team rocket awards exp

* Arrest team rocket members in the act and beat them in a duel for $$ based on quota at the end of every week

* High infamy arrests awards more $

* Cop based rank system tied to levels

* Higher ranked cops get paid more

* Your pokes may be stolen so you have to be careful what you use, and what items

* When you beat a team rocket member you obtain there entire party/items on said mons, to be sold for profit by you, however you desire

-Special Mechanics

* Police headquarters

* Ability to view players names based on infamy

Police Officer + Team Rocket Special Note

*One can join team rocket at any time

*You can only join the Police with 0 infamy

~Static Classes~

Pokemon Breeder

- Exclusive Features to This Class

* Breeding, catching, and ev training/leveling pokemon awards exp

* Faster breed/hatch times based on level

* Access to pokerus at lvl 99 (your mons only and traded mons only, resets on trade)

* Gender swap already bred mons for 50k at lvl 99

* Boost 1 pkmn to 100% happiness per day instantly at level 90

* Craft braces at level 50

* Ability to breed babies at level 80

Pokemon Miner

- Exclusive Features to This Class

* Mine rocks for Ore!

* Higher levels award higher success rates when forging resources

* More crafting to be used with the ores

* Some ores to be used to craft staples like everstones

* Level 99 gives 5% chance to encounter live fossil pokemon in rocks

* Level 50 gives access to a NPC that pays more for Nuggets, pearls, etc

* Nuggets can be crafted with ore

* Thiefing items awards exp

New Player Guide

This would be a sort of hidden class for people who just want to help out.  They would hang around the newbie towns like pewter and such and help new and confused players.  If they prove themselves over a long period of time they can be elevated to a CM or something similar.  No exp system.

I hope you guys like this idea!  Please help to add more ideas for classes that fit into the Pokemon Universe!

Edited by Xatu

I see no problem in trying to make an MMO game more MMOish, but that's not my point.

I mean, your suggestion seems like something big that would require a lot of time and effort in coding stuff and analyzis, when the devs already have a ton of stuff on hold like the fixing the missing move / abilitie effects, the missing pokemons, item implementations, the whole HA and dungeon things and etc.

I guess we should just keep with the small or really essential suggestions.

I like this suggestion but as others have stated it might be too much for devs to work on.

Also, I don't think you should be rude to others who don't agree with your idea.

As in rude, I meant like I've been reading most of your posts and it hasn't been that nice.

I saw you yesterday in-game and you wrote they were attacking you, so you did what anyone else would but I don't think that's true.

Don't let anger burn your heart.

37 minutes ago, Ireniem said:

I like this suggestion but as others have stated it might be too much for devs to work on.

Also, I don't think you should be rude to others who don't agree with your idea.

As in rude, I meant like I've been reading most of your posts and it hasn't been that nice.

I saw you yesterday in-game and you wrote they were attacking you, so you did what anyone else would but I don't think that's true.

Im not angry or rude at all, the person i told to fuck off was intentionally trying to derail the thread.  And the depth of my suggestion shouldnt decide whether or not we discuss and further develop the suggestion.  

Positives

About the only thing I'd really love to see is a way for anyone (not just members of a specific 'class') to vendor their unwanted Pokemon to an NPC or receive at least 200 PokeYen every time they release one.  Maybe limit it to Pokemon under a certain level?  Who knows.
I'd love a system like this because so far 'releasing' a Pokemon means you wasted a PokeBall and for newbies starting out that can add up pretty quickly.

Criticism
This all sounds pretty amazing but I feel it would not fit in with how the 'Pokemon' world really works.

I mean in the anime we only ever see Officer Jenny, one per town and MAYBE some backup officers sometimes.
There isn't a huge amount of crime in the Pokemon World probably because nearly everyone who is a trainer is 'armed' with deadly weapons (Pokemon that can breathe fire, spew toxic gas, shock someone to death like a portable taser, etc).

There was one episode where Arcanines were being trained by the Officer Jenny of that region for police work and the most they ever did was growl and maybe bite, no 'fire' attacks to harm people unless it was necessary.

Another episode showed how trainers that formed one of two gym gangs completely tore a town apart and there wasn't any law/order at all.  There seems to be very localized govt systems outside of major cities.  No real regional/national govt outside of the Pokemon League and even those are usually region-specific.

If you want to crowdfund this to make a Pokemon-inspired pet-based MMO then go for it!  This all sounds really amazing/exciting stuff to have just as long as it isn't in actual 'Pokemon'.

And to be frank the limitations of a Java-based virtual machine that the game roms run in will always limit grandoise ideas like this.

Priority is:

-fixing bugged/broken moves

-fixing other bugs (thankfully not that many left!)
-new content (people want more regions and stuff to explore!)

Edited by Daedalus007
5 hours ago, Maelstrom said:

I mean, your suggestion seems like something big that would require a lot of time and effort in coding stuff and analyzis, when the devs already have a ton of stuff on hold like the fixing the missing move / abilitie effects, the missing pokemons, item implementations, the whole HA and dungeon things and etc.

I guess we should just keep with the small or really essential suggestions.

well if i follow your logic the devs idea about dungeon should be thrown in the trash becaus it's to big and too much work and not esential cuz we could just get HA pokemon in the wild like regular pokemon

3 hours ago, Daedalus007 said:

And to be frank the limitations of a Java-based virtual machine that the game roms run in will always limit grandoise ideas like this.

this might be the only real thing in the way of this suggestion but i guess we will have to ask the devs if this is possible or not to implement something like this @Kyu @Shu @Desu

3 hours ago, Daedalus007 said:

Priority is:

-fixing bugged/broken moves

-fixing other bugs (thankfully not that many left!)
-new content (people want more regions and stuff to explore!)

i agree with you only half way in this priority list, yes bug/broken move/missing ability should be the priority but a new region wouldn't fix the issue of the lack of end game content like this idea would but this idea should be something to implement either at roughly the same time of the dungeons or latter but still before another region

5 hours ago, Ireniem said:

well if your not aware xatu is know for having shitty idea so i think some people just want to shit on his idea like usual despite the fact that this one is actually pretty good and couuld change this game for the better

6 hours ago, Xatu said:

Its an MMO and nobody even considered putting in player ran gyms or classes

Oh yes they have, the same thing has been discussed and suggested for years now, try to do some research next time.

6 hours ago, Xatu said:

Trust me, if the game wasnt in need of grandiose suggestions i wouldnt produce them.

What if i told you that.... it doesn't

6 hours ago, Xatu said:

What we have now is hardly different from a battle simulator with little to no rewarding, fun. endgame content.

that i agree (seriously)

6 hours ago, Xatu said:

Its needs whacky shit like this to make it more fun, while still having PvP pokemon battles at its core.

Nope, it needs whacky shit like this to make it more fun for you. 

In complete disregard to how the devs are envisioning their endgame content and how to deploy it without breaking any of the core gameplay the game has now, you went all miley cyrus on barged in with a wrecking ball. Thats your major flaw in your suggestions, although i do agree with a few stuff on how to make a class system.
Not to mention the scale of what you're suggesting is pretty damn big in terms of custom content.

Overall, i like the core classes, breeder in particular. It gives a player to focus on one aspect with a positive buff. If we look into more NPC's there are already classes available to a degree. Example, early players Youngster (increased rattata enc rate just for the lolz) latent players cooltrainer, veteran trainers ace trainer or champion etc. Parasol lady or aroma lady, gardener. Would be interesting indeed.

1 hour ago, ThePrettyPetard said:

well if i follow your logic the devs idea about dungeon should be thrown in the trash becaus it's to big and too much work and not esential cuz we could just get HA pokemon in the wild like regular pokemon

But the dungeons are something that the devs already decided themselves and are already working on and, due to this one and the other higher priority things I listed, I don't think they are in position to work in another big updates since it will only delay all the development of the content they already have on hold even more and in the end we never get anything finished.

Edited by Maelstrom
5 minutes ago, Maelstrom said:

But the dungeons are something that the devs already decided themselves and are already working on and, due to this one and the other higher priority things I listed, I don't think they are in position to work in another big updates since it will only poop all the development of the content they already have on hold even more and in the end we never get anything finished.

Wtf with this censor thing?! I just meant to say "delay", but ok...

14 minutes ago, Maelstrom said:

But the dungeons are something that the devs already decided themselves and are already working on and, due to this one and the other higher priority things I listed, I don't think they are in position to work in another big updates since it will only delay all the development of the content they already have on hold even more and in the end we never get anything finished.

the only difference between the dungeon and this idea is how much it was accepted by the devs but i do get your point that they have a lot to do and we never get anything finished but let's be real here pokemon is over 20 years old and keep making new content so pokemmo will NEVER be fully finished wich in a way is a good thing becaus devs still got things to do for a long while. they aren't in a position to work on another big update yet but there will allways be big update that are comming so should we just stop making suggestion becaus they allready have work to do?i don't think that this suggestion was made to be done has an emergency thing on the devs to do list but rather something to consider to make this game much better with the classic soonat the end of it

The big factor for all this, as I've mentioned, is whether any of this can even be DONE at all (is it possible) within the current software limitations of the Java-based environment.
If you can look it up and answer that, then you may get much more of a positive reception for an idea like this.

I honestly don't think the suggestion is as bad as people are making it out to be. It would be an interesting and new activity to participate in for the playerbase, a welcome change from the current stale ones (to be fair to the debate tho, the phenomenons system they made was pretty good). This idea obviously needs to be more balanced, but I do believe there are more important competitive issues that need to be implemented first and foremost. Regardless I wouldn't be pissed if this was implemented :)

8 hours ago, ThePrettyPetard said:

so you just like the game to be boring to say that we don't need it to change but still agree that there is no rewarding or fun? if that is not the case that would be nice if you could make up your mind

Nah, what i'm saying that it doesn't need something over the top that makes essential aspects rendered useless. Just helping speeding things up a little. For instance crafting braces only available for breeders. That screws with the money sink, so selling for like 5k instead of 10k or something. 

33 minutes ago, Malorne said:

Nah, what i'm saying that it doesn't need something over the top that makes essential aspects rendered useless. Just helping speeding things up a little. For instance crafting braces only available for breeders. That screws with the money sink, so selling for like 5k instead of 10k or something. 

this game is lacking so much of end game content that we need something fairly big to fill up that hole and since you think this idea is only to speed up things a little you missed a big mmo point this could add with the lvl system for different activity. this point is grinding no need to make it easy to master every skill if you just take breeding has example and let's say the lvl max is 100 and that is when you get the best thing like brace for only 5k and that to get this lvl you need to breed the equivalent of 1000 5x31 natured could you say it's rediculous to give those player an interesting advantage like that? if every activity with a lvl has an insane amount of grind needed to have the max lvl then people will become specialized in some more specific area and feel rewarded for it. many people get hooked to games becaus of a lvling system so implementing such a thing here would be pretty beneficial for everyone.

yeah i know the suggestion put the class system in front with a lvl system behind but those suggestion are mostly just inspiration so you take the best out of it, in this case the lvl system.

20 hours ago, Xatu said:

No, its not.  I changed it completely.  You have not added anything to the suggestion or even commented on the content mentioned in the OP so please just stop.

And you still could had added onto your old suggestion :D

I didn't read most of the OP cause it's all just examples, but

I do think runescape-style skills could be cool, where you grind a skill by using it a lot.

This in itself could create sort of 'classes', as high leveled breeding skill players will have bonuses for breeding. And just keep breeding.

It would be difficult to Max everything.

Any sort of more classic 'mmo' feature like skills, classes and character levels are cool, as long as done properly