Class System

Xatu

Question

I think to make the game a more immersive MMO experience and to separate it more from main-line pokemon games; we should implement some sort of class system

* You can have 1 class at a time

* Static classes apply to everyone all the time

* Classes are chosen anytime after you complete atleast 1 region

* Only 1 Class is allowed to be chosen at a time (besides static classes)

* Classes have exp and levels 1-99

* Classes can be changed at any time, levels/exp remain

Here are some examples of what classes we could have:

Pokemon Trainer 

- Exclusive Features of this class

* Battle Box (6 mons available to be used for battle at any time)

* Player ran Gyms/e4

* Player ran Gyms award a new item-type, Elemental Badges (using them in the overworld makes it 25% more likely to encounter that type for 2 hours)

* Special trophies (for player owned real estate) and vanities for elite 4 members

* Wins as a gym trainer/gym leader/e4  and champ all award monetary payouts

- Mechanics of this class

Matchmaking, ranked, tournament wins, player ran gym wins all award exp (exp is always added for wins regardless whether  you are registered as that class as that time)

* After level 25 you can apply to be a trainer at player ran gyms

* Level 50 you can apply for a Gym Leader position

* Level 90 you can apply for the player ran elite 4

* Level 99 you can apply for the Champion spot

Note: "Applying" means battling for your spot with another high level player, if you enter the gym and no player fills that role at that time and you have the right then you may automatically take the role, a clone sprite is placed in the gym until you log out and when someone challenges you automatically start the battle with your battle box 

Team Rocket

- Exclusive Features of this class
* Ability to steal Pokemon from NPCs and Pokemon Police Officers, and whatever item they hold

* Ability to sell stolen Pokemon/items directly to an NPC for profit

- User Pokemon worth much more

* Gang rank system (tied to levels) and quotas

* Infamy meter

- Players with higher infamy award high payouts for pokemon police officers, being caught resets infamy, the player with the highest infamy becomes the boss of team rocket

- Special Mechanics of this class

* Team Rocket headquarters only accessible when in the class

* Team rocket uniform + hat is given to the player, untradeable, mandatory to wear

Police Officer

- Exclusive Features of this Class

* Taking down team rocket awards exp

* Arrest team rocket members in the act and beat them in a duel for $$ based on quota at the end of every week

* High infamy arrests awards more $

* Cop based rank system tied to levels

* Higher ranked cops get paid more

* Your pokes may be stolen so you have to be careful what you use, and what items

* When you beat a team rocket member you obtain there entire party/items on said mons, to be sold for profit by you, however you desire

-Special Mechanics

* Police headquarters

* Ability to view players names based on infamy

Police Officer + Team Rocket Special Note

*One can join team rocket at any time

*You can only join the Police with 0 infamy

~Static Classes~

Pokemon Breeder

- Exclusive Features to This Class

* Breeding, catching, and ev training/leveling pokemon awards exp

* Faster breed/hatch times based on level

* Access to pokerus at lvl 99 (your mons only and traded mons only, resets on trade)

* Gender swap already bred mons for 50k at lvl 99

* Boost 1 pkmn to 100% happiness per day instantly at level 90

* Craft braces at level 50

* Ability to breed babies at level 80

Pokemon Miner

- Exclusive Features to This Class

* Mine rocks for Ore!

* Higher levels award higher success rates when forging resources

* More crafting to be used with the ores

* Some ores to be used to craft staples like everstones

* Level 99 gives 5% chance to encounter live fossil pokemon in rocks

* Level 50 gives access to a NPC that pays more for Nuggets, pearls, etc

* Nuggets can be crafted with ore

* Thiefing items awards exp

New Player Guide

This would be a sort of hidden class for people who just want to help out.  They would hang around the newbie towns like pewter and such and help new and confused players.  If they prove themselves over a long period of time they can be elevated to a CM or something similar.  No exp system.

I hope you guys like this idea!  Please help to add more ideas for classes that fit into the Pokemon Universe!

Edited by Xatu

1 minute ago, ImFunk said:

As great as this suggestion is, I don't think I will live long enough to see the day when the devs are able to complete this. :v 

Like the suggestion? Please upvote.

2 minutes ago, fredrichnietze said:

this is a whole lot of work to implement

i guess but sure does add a whole lot more to do, like 5 new ways to grind money, new items and PvP based content

doesnt improve the gameplay

imo.

Thats great to share your opinion but youve given 0 basis as to why you dont like the idea(s) presented.  If youre gonna post please atleast contribute to the OP more than just to say you dont like it

30 minutes ago, Xatu said:

Like the suggestion?

Not really.

I like the idea of having a level system that gives rewards as your level increases, but I don't really understand the point in having different classes. Having different skills such as breeding, battling, mining(?) makes sense, but what's the point of having different classes for them? As the suggestion says, we would be able to switch classes freely so what purpose does it have other than restricting the skills I'm able to gain experience for? If I'm breeding and I decide I want to battle someone, I would need to change my class or miss the experience earned for my battle, and then switch classes again when the battle is finished.

The only thing I see that makes the classes useful would be the Team Rocket/Police Officer. Although I don't like those ideas personally, I could see why some may enjoy this. More PvP content is something always wanted, but this feature as a whole could be a suggestion on its own, not included with some kind of level system. 

Edited by ImFunk
Tfw you hit send on accident
1 minute ago, ImFunk said:

Not really.

I like the idea of having a level system that gives rewards as your level increases, but I don't really understand the point in having different classes. 

Well theres 3 to be selected.   They all tailor to different types of players and also generate yen. 

1.  The Pokemon trainer class is tailored to 100% comp players that just want to git gud while grinding monies and rare items along the way, a departure from the normal grind and fulfilling the fantasy many have of being a gym leader.

2+3 is a cops and robbers type scenario with highstakes/high reward elements. Just another fun way to grind money ultimately while still earning exp and rising the ranks

the other 2 are static abilities and pretty much just reward you for things you would be doing anyway

9 minutes ago, Xatu said:

The Pokemon trainer class is tailored to 100% comp players

As I mentioned in my edited post, I just don't see the point in restricting what skills I'm able to gain experience for. 

If the suggestion was just for a level system where we gain experience for different skills and gained rewards for leveling up (Runescape-like), I would 100% support it. I just dislike the idea of needing to switch my class every time I want to do something different, or losing out on experience because I forget to switch classes before I enter matchmaking. 

11 minutes ago, ImFunk said:

I just dislike the idea of needing to switch my class every time I want to do something different, or losing out on experience because I forget to switch classes before I enter matchmaking. 

Well i guess the matchmaking rewards would fit in better in the static section.  As for the gym stuff, the exclusivity of the battle box and the mechanics behind it makes it so youd have to switch to be using it to its fullest.  And players would only really do so when taking on gyms anyway, something that can be done at any lvl.  

Of course the suggestion isnt perfect and thats why forums are a thing, its a back and forth where the suggestion can be further polished.  

Edited the OP: Added that matchmaking wins ALWAYS adds exp to pokemon trainer class

Edited by Xatu
3 minutes ago, Xatu said:

its a back and forth where the suggestion can be further polished.  

Back and forth is probably the best way to describe how I feel about this. I like half of the suggestion, but dislike the other half. Because the entire point is to add a class system, and that's the half that I dislike, I'm going to have to say no on this one. Of course this is just my opinion on it, if this is what you want you shouldn't change your suggestion based on one persons opinion.

I mean, we're playing an MMO that has little to no end game content. If this receives a lot of support and the devs find a way to implement all of this content, I believe it would be for the better. Although they would need to balance some of your ideas, there's really nothing to do in-game after you reach a certain point and something like this would give us a reason to continue grinding the game. 

3 minutes ago, ImFunk said:

if this is what you want you shouldn't change your suggestion based on one persons opinion.

Youre totally right but i truly did see value in my vision of the suggestion in you pointing out a key flaw, in turn benefiting the suggestion in my eyes.  I understand not wanting to have to change classes to grind a different skill-tree type thing but this is commonplace in other mmos.  Pretty much the switching of the classes is what allows you to immerse yourself in whats that class is all about.  For a comp player like you youd likely stay in the Trainer class 100% of the time and other would live the Team Rocket thug lyfe.  It's all perspective i guess but you lose that if you can be all at once... I'd love to think of more classes as well that fit into the pokemon canon, just give me more time lul.

i personnally had an idea about a class system for pokemmo that included both upper and down side to class it was something like the item farmer that get more chance of thiefing a pokemon holding an item but loose the access to listing thing on gtl, another one was the trader get a 50% reduction on listing fee on gtl there was also the berry farmer wich would also loose the option to use gtl but would have thing like faster grow time for berry and/or more time to water the berry and i was trying to think of one for pvp player (wich is where your trainer/cop/rocket would be pretty damn interesting) and maybe some other. it would have been buyable class with pokeyen in my base idea but those pvp one wouldn't fite in has good if it was something you need to pay for.

but your idea for lvl is much more interesting to have alone limiting it by class to gain xp seems like a pretty huge downside this idea is so big that spliting it in 2 wouldn't be that bad of an idea but overall your idea is great and can be a huge game changer it's just need a pretty good amount of polishing and some balancing

the only downside to something like this is also it's biggest good side it's masive but i think it would be worth it to implement such a big system

4 minutes ago, ThePrettyPetard said:

but your idea for lvl is much more interesting to have alone limiting it by class to gain xp seems like a pretty huge downside this idea is so big that spliting it in 2 wouldn't be that bad of an idea but overall your idea is great and can be a huge game changer it's just need a pretty good amount of polishing and some balancing

the only downside to something like this is also it's biggest good side it's masive but i think it would be worth it to implement such a big system

All of this. ^

If you were to separate the level/class systems, both could work well in different ways. The level system could have different skills that you earn experience for, which give rewards/boosts  that would be relevant to that specific skill. While the class system, could be something entirely different that is PvP based that also gives rewards. This way there would be more PvE and PvP content and everyone could be happy. 

As Petard said, anything like this would require a massive amount of work to add into the game, but when you look at everything this could bring I'd say it's worth it. 

16 minutes ago, ImFunk said:

If you were to separate the level/class systems, both could work well in different ways. The level system could have different skills that you earn experience for, which give rewards/boosts  that would be relevant to that specific skill. While the class system, could be something entirely different that is PvP based that also gives rewards. This way there would be more PvE and PvP content and everyone could be happy. 

limiting the class system to PvP related only and having the lvl system on the side for PvE would get the best out of everything i feel we could finnally get closer to becoming a pokemon society and since the devs love grind those lvl could be very grindy to do wich would fit in a mmo while still making it fun to lvl up and it would aslo make older player feel better than those that just joined becaus they have an advantage without it being rediculous

edit: i wonder if the dev will love us or hate us to add this to their allready long to do list

Edited by ThePrettyPetard
4 hours ago, Kite said:

Which you can do in your original threads.

im not going to necro a 2 year old thread and edit it so that all of the comments no longer apply.  You arent adding anything to the thread or its subject other than nitpicking because i expanded on a previous suggestion... which is completely allowed.  So fuck off.

9 hours ago, SteveDerBaum said:

Isn't that a bit OP?

nah cause they get released via npc and you have cops trying to catch you doing this.

9 hours ago, redspawn said:

but also would be a pain to code, and plenty would have to be balanced in order for this to even be viable.

i dont have an alt.  and of course it would be a pain to code, its a game ffs.  you gotta put in work to get results and nobody assumed otherwise.  i fail to see why that is relevant, youre on a fucking suggestion board m8.  if you really feel this way you should go into every single thread and be like "coding is hard lololol".

Balanced you say?  Offers no examples... 

2 hours ago, Xatu said:

im not going to necro a 2 year old thread and edit it so that all of the comments no longer apply.  You arent adding anything to the thread or its subject other than nitpicking because i expanded on a previous suggestion... which is completely allowed.  So fuck off.

nah cause they get released via npc and you have cops trying to catch you doing this.

i dont have an alt.  and of course it would be a pain to code, its a game ffs.  you gotta put in work to get results and nobody assumed otherwise.  i fail to see why that is relevant, youre on a fucking suggestion board m8.  if you really feel this way you should go into every single thread and be like "coding is hard lololol".

Balanced you say?  Offers no examples... 

Still a duplicate suggestion bro. Nice try though.

1 hour ago, Kite said:

Still a duplicate suggestion bro. Nice try though.

No, its not.  I changed it completely.  You have not added anything to the suggestion or even commented on the content mentioned in the OP so please just stop.

1 minute ago, Maelstrom said:

You know, we must keep some realism on our suggestions.

Pretty realistic.  Its an MMO and nobody even considered putting in player ran gyms or classes.... levels for doing stuff over time?  I even broke down each idea and explained how they worked in good enough detail.  

Trust me, if the game wasnt in need of grandiose suggestions i wouldnt produce them.  What we have now is hardly different from a battle simulator with little to no rewarding, fun. endgame content.  Its needs whacky shit like this to make it more fun, while still having PvP pokemon battles at its core.