Dex completion reward. Give us SOMETHING

Goku

Question

As the title suggests I think it'll be reasonable to receive some kind of reward after the completion of the OT Dex.

With the Ot cap currently at 556 it's pretty hard completing it considering 3 regions, safari rares, all the locations you need to visit for the different pokes. 

If I am not mistaken I am pretty sure in the other Pokemon games after Dex Completion the player got rewarded a Shiny Charm / Shining Charm.

Effect

Generation V

The Shiny Charm increases the chance of encountering a Shiny pokemon, both in the wild and through breeding. This is done by generating two extra personality values to attempt to find one that is Shiny, effectively resulting in a tripled chance to find Shiny Pokémon compared to the base chance; from 1 / 30 000 to approximately 3 / 30 000 (roughly 1/ 10 000).  (Doesn't have to stack with hordes because that can be problematic lel)

Spoiler

Image result for shiny charm pokemon

The odds of this being implemented is likely to be none. This is why I suggest an alternative prize. Ideas which I had include:

. Player being awarded a random gift legendary. (A way to actually own a legendary permanently for once in the game)

.Player being awarded a random gift shiny egg.

.Player being rewarded a Untradeable custom vanity.

.Player being rewarded a custom tag revealing him to have completed the Ot Dex. / Player being able to change the color of his Overworld Name.

Player being rewarded an Untradeable lucky egg with double exp stats lel.

Ups for the idea:

Game play can possibly become more active because players would be motivated to complete dex in order to get this prestigious gift.

22 minutes ago, Dinkle said:

"meaningless" but takes alot of effort, and if you put that amount of effort into something you deserve to get a reward IMO.

but there is no reason to do it.  i do know people who have done it like, as a personal goal, and props to them, but like, idk.  theres no reason to go out of your way to do it.

23 minutes ago, ImFunk said:

In the original games the entire goal was to complete the Pokedex, and considering it's not an easy task I can see why people would like a reward for completing it. 

i thought it was to be the very best, like no one ever was :[

1 minute ago, DeadGorilla said:

but there is no reason to do it.  i do know people who have done it like, as a personal goal, and props to them, but like, idk.  theres no reason to go out of your way to do it.

At the moment there is no need to complete your dex, but that is literally what this suggestion is about......

1 minute ago, DeadGorilla said:

but there is no reason to do it.

Isn't that the point in adding a reward though? Give us a reason to put the effort into a main piece of the story. Right now completing the Pokedex is meaningless, which is why I would like to see a reward for completing it. I haven't come close to finishing mine, but I'm sure if there was something worth it at the end, I would put the time into it.

22 minutes ago, Dinkle said:

At the moment there is no need to complete your dex, but that is literally what this suggestion is about......

yeah i get that. but like why. what would it add? a reason to waste time?  and as far as a reward would go, i dont think there is anything that would be "worth" and balanced.

24 minutes ago, ImFunk said:

Isn't that the point in adding a reward though? Give us a reason to put the effort into a main piece of the story. Right now completing the Pokedex is meaningless, which is why I would like to see a reward for completing it. I haven't come close to finishing mine, but I'm sure if there was something worth it at the end, I would put the time into it.

i guess since this is technically an mmo, it would be nice to see it as a quest type thing, which would in turn warrant a reward.  but if we were to implement a quest/reward type system, id really hope to see better things than "complete the dex"

2 minutes ago, DeadGorilla said:

but if we were to implement a quest/reward type system, id really hope to see better things than "complete the dex"

I would agree. This wouldn't be a bad start though if they wanted to implement quests. That would be an entirely different conversation though. 

5 hours ago, DeadGorilla said:

>wanting a reward for doing something meaningless

the point of this thread is to give it meaning

5 hours ago, ImFunk said:

Read the line directly after it?

I could have done a better job explaining it, but do I really need to? Going from 1/30k to 1/10k is way too big of a jump in my opinion. If something as valuable as Donator only increases the chances to 1/27k, why should completing a somewhat difficult task raise it to 1/10k? Especially considering Donator is temporary, while I assume the reward for completing the dex would not be. The people that have completed the dex will be finding shinies at a higher frequency, and the entire community/economy will suffer for it as they will decrease in value. 

As I said, I wouldn't be against having a Shiny Charm or something that works like it. But a 1/10k chance is too high, especially if it is a permanent effect. 

ok so hundreds of hours of work to get your dex filled, so what 1-2% would do it? maybe 5% tops? it would increase the amount of shinys but not as much as a update where people no life the game for a month. and its something where you cant bot it because no bot can actually get through hundreds of hours of content without being caught and banned. 

tl;dr i think you are over stating the effect ti would have. its not the same as blanket changing the shiny chance for everyone. 

2 hours ago, fredrichnietze said:

the point of this thread is to give it meaning

ok so hundreds of hours of work to get your dex filled, so what 1-2% would do it? maybe 5% tops? it would increase the amount of shinys but not as much as a update where people no life the game for a month. and its something where you cant bot it because no bot can actually get through hundreds of hours of content without being caught and banned. 

tl;dr i think you are over stating the effect ti would have. its not the same as blanket changing the shiny chance for everyone. 

I think you're underestimating the amount of people who would kill for their shiny rate to be cut down so significantly. If there was a way to increase your shiny rate to 1/10k instead of 1/30k permanently,  you bet your ass every single shiny hunter would do it along with most long-term players, no matter how long it takes. Even people that don't like shinies would do it for the free money of finding and selling one so easily. Think about it, you can almost guarantee getting a rare shiny via single encounters+repel trick at 1/10k, people would see this as a new way to grind money and the shiny trading economy is already way in the toilet as it is. Imagine people like Jonulo with 120+ ot shinies and people ask how he does it: "Oh all I did was complete the ot dex and horde hunt". Now imagine if he turned around and sold all his ot's after catching 3 a week or whatever ridiculous amount he (and plenty others) would get. To add to this, all the money staff gets from people buying and using/selling donators goes out the window as it would be a pathetic boost in relation to this. My point is even comp players would go out of their way to get this kind of advantage.

Regardless, OP here has made it clear that he was only using it as an example of a reward from the original games, and not an actual suggestion for this MMO environment. This discussion is nothing more than banter at this point.

Edited by awkways
stuff

I find it amusing that certain pundits like to claim that completing the pokedex is somehow trivial/meaningless.

If you really wanna go meta, isn't playing a video game 'meaningless' in the grand scheme of things?

Xbox Live achievements are a thing and they are 'meaningless' (no rewards at all except bragging rights) but people still do 'achievement hunting' quite often.

Same with PSN and Steam and other spots.

Consider completing the PokeDEX more along the lines of WoW Achievements where you'd actually get a reward for it.  Maybe have 3 sub-achievements (one for each region) that nets you part of the reward and then a meta-reward achievement and reward for completing all regions.

In fact, a web-based account-wide 'achievement' system in PokeMMO is something I feel would go a long way towards the original goal of the OP (to keep the community from dying off).  Considering the state of things as they are and how newbie-hostile things have gotten in the community aspect of things, it wouldn't hurt if it is something that can be wishlisted to add to the potential possibilities.  As far as implementation goes, that's something the devs would need to find out if it was actually a possibility let alone how to implement if they go forward with it.

Well in Gen 3 I believe you got a choice of Cyndaquil, Totodile, Chikorita for completing the dex. 

However...I think the prize should be a certificate you can put up in your secret base that says when clicked on it

"I completed the dex and all I got was this stupid certificate".

(Points to all who get the reference)

Edited by Kite

you do get rewards for completing part of the pokedex from prof oak's aides. Why not continue on that same line?

HM05 Flash - 10 Pokemon needed
Everstone - 20 Pokemon needed
 Itemfinder - 30 Pokemon needed
Amulet Coin - 40 Pokemon needed
Exp. Share - 50 Pokemon needed

Why not throw in some items for say 100 , 150, 200, 300, 400 , etc...???

could be life orbs, choice items, a super potion, anything really

2 hours ago, EssDeeCee said:

The intent is to provide players with a sense of pride and accomplishment for completing their dex.

Can't give out a free permanent donator status since that would kill their cash cow.

I wish you'd have enough pride to stop posting/trolling in a game you already quit.  Srsly dude go get a life :P
Dex Completion can be as simple as the Prof Oak Aide rewards like consumables or otherwise.

Several people have already been complaining that fighting the Elite 4 costs more in consumables than they'd earn in battle winnings.