Doubles Tier Discussion Request Thread

1 hour ago, noomuch said:

how about a complex ban with sniper + follow me/rage powder

Are you asking to ban Follow Me and Rage Powder? If that's so, then I'd had oppose this. That would take away from Dubs strategy and its uniqueness when compared to singles tiers. 

CritDra is definitely centralizing but considering how rarely anything is considered banworthy in Doubles, I don't think CritDra should be either. If your team composition really hates it so much you can slap Lucky Chant Togekiss to make Follow Me + CritDra core basically useless. It may feel like a reach at first but it's only 1 in 24 moves in your Pokemon team and Togekiss is such a great Pokemon anyways, and accomplishes its main supporting role with 3 moves. And before getting quoted about how Lucky Chant Togekiss as an argument is a proof that it is in fact clearly broken - I would point out that you don't need Lucky Chant Togekiss to beat CritDra teams. Strong attackers with powerful double-target moves do often well enough to get rid of CritDra. Only pointing out that if your team really hates CritDra, you can fix the match up with quite relatively small adjustment that doesn't alter most of your team composition.

In paper critdra is the best thing ever, and for a long time it was in MMO. Luckily (even though I can't easily farm tours with it anymore) the community has learned how to stop it, and it is not a centralizing team for the past months.

Going even further, I don't think doubles should suffer any kind of ban unless it is strictly neccesary, which is something I don't expect to happen, since everything can be countered easily.

That being said, Devs please put sdance back to chomp and remove it from OU singles, doubles should not suffer from it.

very clear the people who abuse critdra and the people that dont in here

Critdra is a cancer on the meta that requires a specific pokemon on 100% of your teams to counter it if you follow Orange's suggestion. That limits teambuilding so much its not even funny

Ban focus energy, it has no competitive use aside from on an uncompetitive mon such as critdra

On 4/11/2020 at 12:23, DoubleJ said:

¿Entonces, qué debemos hacer? Creo que deberíamos agregar a Kingdra a la lista de Suspect Ban con el plan de prohibir su acceso a la habilidad Sniper. Esta habilidad realmente lo distingue al empujar las críticas al límite de "ay" a "oh Dios, todo se está muriendo". Eso, o consideramos prohibir Scope Lens (y posiblemente también en otros niveles ... echa un vistazo a Focus Energy Hydrei en OU).

Pensamientos

If ban scope lens damages things like absol, honchkrow and drapion, they would become useless, the correct thing would be to remove sniper, because kingdra is probably the only user of it

41 minutes ago, Huargensy said:

If ban scope lens damages things like absol, honchkrow and drapion, they would become useless, the correct thing would be to remove sniper, because kingdra is probably the only user of it

Drapion

Wait is this actually being discussd?  The only time I've used critdra is 2+ years ago when I brought to life what I considered to be an "innovative, cool, high quality cheese set", never in recent times. Naturally, I have faced it countless times in tournaments / matchmaking but I very very rarelly lose against it. It's not broken, it just requires you to be good at building.

• 8 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Well time to revive this chat. I'm here to discuss the possibility of adding "Safety Goggles" to the game and removing Sleep Clause from the Doubles format. I currently feel like with where the meta is at this would be a good addition. Currently there is more than enough Grass types circulating (I.E. Serperior, Rotom Mow, Amoongus, Ludicolo to name a few) that there is adequate counter play to Spore and Sleep Powder (The main forms of sleep in Doubles). As well this would increase the use of Sun which is currently pretty poor into the meta and add more counter play into Trick Room and even Follow me style teams. Also with the addition of "Safety Goggles" it would really only effect the Doubles meta game aside a few niche option in singles. Would also add a much needed shake up to the current stale meta game in Doubles.

On 6/26/2023 at 6:35 AM, NecasInTrouble said:

Well time to revive this chat. I'm here to discuss the possibility of adding "Safety Goggles" to the game and removing Sleep Clause from the Doubles format. I currently feel like with where the meta is at this would be a good addition. Currently there is more than enough Grass types circulating (I.E. Serperior, Rotom Mow, Amoongus, Ludicolo to name a few) that there is adequate counter play to Spore and Sleep Powder (The main forms of sleep in Doubles). As well this would increase the use of Sun which is currently pretty poor into the meta and add more counter play into Trick Room and even Follow me style teams. Also with the addition of "Safety Goggles" it would really only effect the Doubles meta game aside a few niche option in singles. Would also add a much needed shake up to the current stale meta game in Doubles.

Well said!

On 6/26/2023 at 6:35 AM, NecasInTrouble said:

Although I completely agree that this would be an amazing addition to the doubles metagame, the trouble is trying to convince the developers to code for an item that would only affect a minor metagame, as you say, with only a few niche options in singles.

So aside from satey goggles, my question is: should the sleep clause be reconsidered altogether given the increase in viable grass types?