[PvP Tournament Rule Request] Shorter Time Limits

I wasn't permitted to post in Suggestions for some reason so I'll post it here.
One problem with watching a Pokemon Tournament (Replay or Live) is how much time is wasted by over 10+ minutes going by before a Pokemon faints in certain things (like the UnderUsed finals).
Similar to how 'Speed Chess' helped speed up what is typically a long drawn-out pasttime, I hope that a 'Speed' version of Pokemon Tournaments would be far more popular to watch.

Some suggestions for rules to be implemented for RANKED Tournaments:

-Turn Timer of 30 seconds or less.
--This forces the trainer to not take forever deciding.

-3 Turn Cooldown after recalling a Pokemon before you can throw it out again.
--Prevents trainers just changing pokemon constantly back and forth; makes recalling pokemon a far more tactical choice.

-Fixed time limit for the entire battle (aka Battle Timer) of no more than 5 or 10 minutes.
--Prevents matches from going on too long.  Maybe 5 mins for preliminaries and 10 mins for the semi-finals and finals matches of a tournament.

2 hours ago, Daedalus007 said:

There are some key positions you need to really think out. Currently 99% of the turns happen quicker than in 30 seconds so kind of unnecessary.

This is absolutely a hard no. This kind of clause destroys the concept of competitive Pokemon altogether. Being "trapped" for 3 turns just to get one shot by something doesn't really support a gameplay that should favor correct plays and predictions and is just straight up against the whole concept of what the community has established as competitive Pokemon.

-Fixed time limit for the entire battle (aka Battle Timer) of no more than 5 or 10 minutes.
--Prevents matches from going on too long.  Maybe 5 mins for preliminaries and 10 mins for the semi-finals and finals matches of a tournament.

Fixed time limit isn't good in a game where the turn of battles can vary from 10 to 70. And especially it's very hard to know how long this match is about to last unless you know exactly what moves and Pokemon your opponent has so people making hasty plays just because the match might last long doesn't provide any skillful play in our game. At least in chess you can tell about how long will a game take looking at the position, as long as you are a half a decent player. In competitive Pokemon it's much harder because there is a chance for nunerous passive (time-stalling) plays.

Edited by OrangeManiac
3 hours ago, Daedalus007 said:

I wasn't permitted to post in Suggestions for some reason so I'll post it here.
One problem with watching a Pokemon Tournament (Replay or Live) is how much time is wasted by over 10+ minutes going by before a Pokemon faints in certain things (like the UnderUsed finals).
Similar to how 'Speed Chess' helped speed up what is typically a long drawn-out pasttime, I hope that a 'Speed' version of Pokemon Tournaments would be far more popular to watch.

--Prevents trainers just changing pokemon constantly back and forth; makes recalling pokemon a far more tactical choice.

Cool to watch but godawful to actually play.

30 seconds is far too restrictive on a timer that still runs when animations play out sometimes you have to calc or seriously put thought into your decision, and hell sometimes real life might get in the way, a phone call or what not may take more than 30 seconds to take care of.

Orange nailed the 3 turn thing, it's stupid, restrictive and at the top of my head it'd probably make some wallbreakers very very stupid to deal with. 

Entire battles lasting 5 minutes? With animations playing out? That'd be impossible. How do you determine the winner?

Amount of Pokemon alive on each trainer?

What if one has 5 Pokemon at 25% health and the other one has two Pokemon with the active one being a full health Lucario. The second trainer would win in a normal circumstance but the first one would win if the timer runs out.

Amount of damage dealt? That'd utterly gut defensive play. There's simply no good criteria to define a winner with a time limit, even if you extend it to 60 minutes.

1 hour ago, ThePrettyPetard said:

I am honenestly surpised the staff haven't closed this thread yet with their tendency to be mercyless for suggestion in general discussion

With pleasure.

As others have stated please wait until you have accumulated 5 posts so you may post in the Suggestion Box. Also keep in mind only 1 suggestion per topic is allowed there, it just makes it easier to locate things.

• You must have 5 posts on other parts of the forums before you're able to post in Suggestions.
  • Provide only one suggestion per thread and make the title a clear and concise indicator of the suggestion. If you do not provide a suitable title to your thread, we will change it.

• Kizhaz locked this topic