Teambuild to beat lvl 90+ Kanto E4??

I am currently struggling hard with Kanto E4, currently on level 90+.

I keep getting my ass handed to me.

I barely make it past the first leader with half my team alive.

I then spend 20k+ on healing items to heal my team to full health.

I then die against the second leader.

Can someone please suggest a team build to beat the damned E4?

Thanks

1 minute ago, notmudkip0 said:

What's your team like now? Is it the same from storyline?
As for Pokemon you can use, try Curselax.

Are you saying a single Curselax can beat round 5 of Kanto E4?

I am not running my storyline team, here is my team

Spoiler

Blissey

Calm Mind

Nature: Bold
EVs: 252 Sp. Atk, 252 SP. Def

Item: Leftovers

Ability: Serene Grace

Calm Mind

Softboiled

Ice Beam

Psychic

Aerodactyl

Choice Band

Item: Choice Band

Nature: Jolly

Ability: Rock Head

EVs: 252 Attack / 4 Defense / 252 Speed

Double-Edge

Rock Slide

Earthquake

Crunch 

Skarmory 

Hazard Setter

Nature: Impish
EVs: 252 HP 252 Defense

Ability: Sturdy

Stealth Rock Drill Peck

Spikes

Roost rest

Whirlwind

can't learn stealth rock and roost yet since i don't have access to unova tutors yet

Starmie

Life Orb Sweeper

Nature: Timid
EVs: 252 Speed 252 Sp. Atk

Item: Life Orb

Ability: Natural Cure

Surf

Psyshock Psychic --> I assume i'd better change Psychic for psyshock for wall breaking

Thunderbolt

Ice Beam --> Should I go Rapid Spin?

Volcarona

Special Sweeper

Nature: TImid

Quiver Dance

Bug Buzz

Fiery Dance

Giga Drain

Tyranitar

EVs: 252 Speed 252 Attack

Item: Choice Scarf

Rock Slide

Crunch

Pursuit earthquake

Superpower

15 minutes ago, hihats said:

Blissey

Calm Mind

Calm Mind

Softboiled

Ice Beam

Psychic

lets start here, give it toxic and seismic toss, is more for general use, ice beam has a niche, and psychic just isn't good, also give it 252 hp 252 def or 252 sp.def 252 def, both work better than having sp.atk invested.

Stealth Rock Drill Peck

Spikes

Roost rest

Whirlwind

I don't see any reason to run rest for roost, nor drill peck for brave bird, so I'd either remove this or change moveset.

Surf

Psyshock Psychic --> I assume i'd better change Psychic for psyshock for wall breaking

Thunderbolt

Completely depends, I prefer psyshock over psychic as blissey can't wall it 100% like she can vs psychic, but it completely depends on the utility you want to take from this starmie, I'd say recover is a viable option for E4, i don't even know if they place hazards to be worth the rapid spin.

Others are ok, but imo, to beat E4, the best way is probably a baton pass team, I'm not much into it, haven't done in years so can't be of much help with that.

Edited by redspawn
Just now, hihats said:

Are you saying a single Curselax can beat round 5 of Kanto E4?

I am not running my storyline team, here is my team

Reveal hidden contents

Blissey

Calm Mind

Calm Mind

Softboiled

Ice Beam

Psychic

Aerodactyl

Choice Band

Item: Choice Band

Ability: Rock Head

EVs: 252 Attack / 4 Defense / 252 Speed

Double-Edge

Rock Slide

Earthquake

Crunch 

Skarmory 

Hazard Setter

Stealth Rock Drill Peck

Spikes

Roost rest

Whirlwind

can't learn stealth rock and roost yet since i don't have access to unova tutors yet

Starmie

Life Orb Sweeper

Nature: Timid

Item: Life Orb

Ability: Natural Cure

Surf

Thunderbolt

Volcarona

Special Sweeper

Quiver Dance

Bug Buzz

Fiery Dance

Giga Drain

Tyranitar

Rock Slide

Crunch

Pursuit earthquake

Superpower

Always, ALWAYS run max defense on Blissey. CM Blissey can still work with Bolt/Beam coverage (Thunderbolt and Ice Beam), so give up Psychic if you really want to try Calm Mind.
And about Curselax, it has good matchups in a lot of cases, and can sweep with enough Curse boosts. It's not going to wipe out everything, though, so bring support for it.

4 minutes ago, redspawn said:

drill peck for brave bird, so I'd either remove this or change moveset.

Brave Bird is egg move so he'd have to rebreed just to get it.

yeah i would like to avoid rebreeding.

I will rework that blissey to 252 def 252 sp. def

I went out to GTL and bought a curselax, he got destroyed by an aura blasting lucario. Could'nt setup. Kinda disapointed... :D

8 minutes ago, redspawn said:

Others are ok, but imo, to beat E4, the best way is probably a baton pass team, I'm not much into it, haven't done in years so can't be of much help with that.

What baton pass team would you suggest? It does look like a very interesting option since since you don"t get healed after each battle.

9 hours ago, notmudkip0 said:

Brave Bird is egg move so he'd have to rebreed just to get it.

well I mean, it's worth getting either way, so he's not losing anything by rebreeding.

9 hours ago, hihats said:

What baton pass team would you suggest? It does look like a very interesting option since since you don"t get healed after each battle.

You bring your own healing supplies, you need to, that's a given, costs cash? It does, but e4 was never known as a great money making method, either way you should still win more cash than what you spend. And like I said previously, I have no idea, I just know, that if baton pass works, that's probably your best option, something like QD baton pass venomoth for example

Gonna train up some baton pass users then, not sure if i will go physical or special sweep.

Physical sweep, i'm thinking about ninjask (substitute, protect, swords dance, baton pass) with the ability speed boost, then some sort of physical sweeper, not sure which,

haxorus, conkeldurr, hydreigon, tyranitar, ideally something with lots of PP lol

I could also add a mean look umbreon to help with setup. (mean look, baton pass, screech, wish

special sweep, i'm looking at quiver dance volcarona or  calm mind reuniclus.

Seems a bit tougher to setup since I would need to cover physical protection first.

Mr. Mime with barrier, substitute, calm mind, baton pass could do the trick

Alternatively, using 3 sacrificial sturdy pineco/forteresse with light screen/reflect and stealth rocks holding light clay could be just enough to let volcarona setup a few quiver dances, at the cost of having to revive two to three mons per battle. Which looks like a better outcome than a regular team where half of it is dead anyways after a fight.

Has anyone actually beaten high end E4? I mean there must be a balanced team build that can consistently beat it. 

Wasn't the goal of the devs to have E4 as bridge between the storyline and comp battling. 

I see it as a viable bridge, but come on devs/mods/experienced players, provide us noobs with some strategies. Or at least heal up after each battle, to encourage players not to use cheese strategies and instead use legit teams??? Profits are really not worthwhile I mean 50k + 2000 bp (worth about 45k). Assuming it takes 40 mins to beat, thats 90k in 40ish minutes minus all the healing items. Assuming you use a revive and two hyper potions, thats like 5.5k right there each time you need to revive a poke.

I am doing this since i want to get into comp battling but damn, it's not about skill or learning it seems, it's just turning into another cash sink, since oh yeah you don't get anything till you completely beat it. oh and if you fail on the first battle, you have a 45 minute cooldown before you can try again. At least gym battles you can get right back in there, which encourages using lessons learned to try again and have another go instead of just thinking fuck this, i'm not going to wait 40 mins to try again.

At least put the cooldown on a successful E4 victory. What's the point on adding it when you fail??? You get absolutely nothing from say, repeatedly beating the first leader. oh right maybe a bit of exp, but come on, by this point all your mons are level 100 and your time is better spent grinding for cash not xp.

Not having any comp knowledge, I have currently spent 8mil+ testing out different pokes and many hours. I was buying straight off GTL, but imagine if i had taken the time to breed and EV train these pokes, then realised they don't work well together/can't beat E4.

And i didn't get shit mons (apart from blissey which needs a rework).

I got OU mons from orangemaniacs 5th gen comp guide.

I have been doing my research, checking out damage calcs, checking each pokes typing in battle, predicting what to switch in and out yet I still fail miserably.

turned into a rant at this point lol.

To be fair, I really am enjoying this E4 challenge, and have learned a lot about pokemon battling. I do believe healing between fights should be added and the timer should only be applied when you succeed.

The point of all this, can someone PLEASE please provide a team build that has successfully beaten Kanto E4?

Thanks!

Typhlosion ~ eruption , u really need one for this. he's 2 strong.

Milotic ~ with mirror coat , help u a lot.

the rest  of ur team u can get a few '' ubers '' , salamence , wobbuffet ~

i usually use a team like that: Milotic, Typhlosion , Curselax , Heracross , Salamence , Aerodactyl.

anyways, good luck.

rapid spin is useless for elite 4 rematches.They never use any moves like spikes.They also never use any moves to remove spikes.

one tactic i use for elite 4 is after i switched in blissey because of some pure special attacker.I go with toxic or something.Then when he switches poke i use protect on blissey.Then i scout the attack and if they try a fighting move i switch in a ghost poke like chandelure and attack.

I dont have much problem with elite 4 rematches when they level 100.The hard part is to have a strategy to beat them as fast as possible with as little healing items used.Takes me like 1hour to beat them when i play it safe and use almost no items.But i have to use a few items when i try to rush it.

Anyone good at elite 4 rematches with advice would be nice to hear.

Edited by MightyBoxer

When  Trainer Tower was a thing, I tried to build a bulky set up team with pokemon that could restore own HP... Maybe it wil work here too...

I saw it on a YT a long time ago and I remember that the team had a Softboiled + Calm Mind Blissey, Cosmic Power + Softboiled + Belly Drum Clefable, Slack Off + Calm Mind Slowbro, Curse + Rest Snorlax etc....

I know it needs tweaks since new gen is available (new pokes, new moves, nem abilities) but now may be easier...

I'm thinking about breed a Compound Eyes Buterfree with Sleep Powder + Quiver Dance + Giga Drain; a Poison Heal Brelom with Spore + Swords Dance OR Bulk Up + and Drain Punch and so on...

12 hours ago, xRdZiiiN said:

Typhlosion ~ eruption , u really need one for this. he's 2 strong.

Milotic ~ with mirror coat , help u a lot.

the rest  of ur team u can get a few '' ubers '' , salamence , wobbuffet ~

i usually use a team like that: Milotic, Typhlosion , Curselax , Heracross , Salamence , Aerodactyl.

anyways, good luck.

I tried out typhlosion and really wasn't impressed. You can pretty much only use him as a lead, he takes too much damage when you switch him in then eruption does little damage

12 hours ago, MightyBoxer said:

rapid spin is useless for elite 4 rematches.They never use any moves like spikes.They also never use any moves to remove spikes.

one tactic i use for elite 4 is after i switched in blissey because of some pure special attacker.I go with toxic or something.Then when he switches poke i use protect on blissey.Then i scout the attack and if they try a fighting move i switch in a ghost poke like chandelure and attack.

I dont have much problem with elite 4 rematches when they level 100.The hard part is to have a strategy to beat them as fast as possible with as little healing items used.Takes me like 1hour to beat them when i play it safe and use almost no items.But i have to use a few items when i try to rush it.

Anyone good at elite 4 rematches with advice would be nice to hear.

good tips, i didnt know that about E4 spikes. What team do you use? I'm OK with healing items, i just want to beat E4 lol.

Then i'll see how to make it quick and efficient

4 hours ago, vitormurucci said:

When  Trainer Tower was a thing, I tried to build a bulky set up team with pokemon that could restore own HP... Maybe it wil work here too...

I saw it on a YT a long time ago and I remember that the team had a Softboiled + Calm Mind Blissey, Cosmic Power + Softboiled + Belly Drum Clefable, Slack Off + Calm Mind Slowbro, Curse + Rest Snorlax etc....

I know it needs tweaks since new gen is available (new pokes, new moves, nem abilities) but now may be easier...

I'm thinking about breed a Compound Eyes Buterfree with Sleep Powder + Quiver Dance + Giga Drain; a Poison Heal Brelom with Spore + Swords Dance OR Bulk Up + and Drain Punch and so on...

yeah, it does look like some sort of sweep setup is required, let me know if you figure out one that works consistently. I tried curselax and it get like 2HKO or 3HKO since the leader usually swithces to whatever is the strongest poke to deal with, so you can't just setup easy.

6 hours ago, hihats said:

yeah, it does look like some sort of sweep setup is required, let me know if you figure out one that works consistently. I tried curselax and it get like 2HKO or 3HKO since the leader usually swithces to whatever is the strongest poke to deal with, so you can't just setup easy.

I will... That's why I will try the Buterfree sweep and Breloom.... free turns to sweep... if it works I will post here

i used blissey steelix salamence chandelure manetric cloyster

blissey steelix cloyster all protect trick to scout and then switch in for sweeper when a fight normal fire ground electric attack on a poke that is immune.

until then just abuse toxic on blissey spikes poison spikes on cloyster and stealth rock on steelix while using them to wall a poke until i can get some opening.They all have leftovers.

scarfs or life orb on sweepers is nice to have.Most annoying is when opponent has a speed scarf.

Other problems i found is when poke has both special and attack moves.Painfull especially when it has special moves and has a pursuit move against chansey.

Most annoying is gym leaders using full restores when ur fighting it slow with spikes and such.

Edited by MightyBoxer

yeah those choice scarf users are a real pain. I got so many 1HKO, like scarfed blastoise water spout, or scarfed weavile destroying my aerodactyl, my tyranitar.

So basically your team just whitles the enemy little by little with spikes, toxic and whenever you get an opening, boom stick in a sweeper.

But until then it's a slow go eh?  I hope there is another strategy than spikes and toxic as a win conditions, that's painful...

I was also doing something similar on the first gym leader, with blissey + skarmory, just kept switching them depending on if I was facing physical or special.

However, i'm fucked whenever they send out a mixed attacker, for example leader 2 uses an electivire, with close combat and thunderbolt. Bye bye both skarm and blissey..lol

However I sometimes manage to setup Volcarona with quiver dance, then it's just GG.

Haven't made it past the third leader yet.

So I managed to beat lvl 100 E4. YAY.

Here was my team:

Spoiler

Blissey

Calm Mind

EVs: 252 Hp, 252 Defense

Calm Mind

Softboiled

Ice Beam

Thunderbolt

Skarmory 

Hazard Setter

Stealth Rock

Spikes

rest

Whirlwind

Volcarona

Special Sweeper

Quiver Dance

Bug Buzz

Fiery Dance

Giga Drain

Tyranitar

Rock Slide

Crunch

earthquake

Superpower

Conkeldurr

Nature: Adamant

EVs: 252 Attack, 126 Sp.Defense, 126 HP

Ability: Sheer Force

Drain Punch

Bulk Up

Ice Punch

Fire Punch

Reuniclus

Item: Leftovers

Ability: Magic Guard

Calm Mind

Recover

Psyshock / Psychic

Focus Blast

MVP's were Conkeldurr and Reuniclus.

Not too sure about blissey and skarmory, they did not see much use aside to force switching.

I used about 15 revives and 25 hyper potions,  and it took about an hour.

Aside from the challenge, not much point in doing E4, which is a shame.

It would be more encouraging if you did not need to bust out a shit ton of healing items after each fight.

Especially when there's a good chance you fail if you are just learning, trying to get into comp. battling. 

At least when you are doing comp you don't need to shell out 60k for the privilege of getting your ass handed to you.

Healing between fights would actually encourage sound team building.

Not healing between fights makes me want to make a baton pass team and abuse all the broken pokemon mechanics, since hey my goal isn't to simply win using a good strategy, my goal is to win without having to heal up, revive and restore pp on my entire team after each fight.

As much as I enjoyed the challenge, the learning curve is steep and throughout all my tries on E4, I have used more than 100 revives (325000$) and 100 hyper potions (120000$).

to finally win once lol. So yeah nearly half a mil down the drain just to learn. (Not counting breeding costs, ev training, buying pokemon off GTL and leveling to 100)