Sand Stream in UU

Yesterday i saw that sand stream was banned from smogons UU, so im wondering how things are working / will work in here.

• Will sand stream be available for the tier?
  • Is sand veil currently banned under evasion clause?

The only "counter" weather inducer would be vanilluxe, which probably wont see too much play. In Drilbur and Stoutland theres two pokes, which can abuse sand rush. Gligar, sandslash and cacturne appreciate sand veil, while Cradily could probably have easier set ups during sand, so id guess that theres plenty of room for sand teams.

Thats what comes to my mind spontaneously, maybe theres more, maybe there isnt. Cant find any info on why stuff got banned on smogon, so i was curious about sand in our meta. Hit my up with your thoughts.

Cheers

Do you mean sand stream was banned in gen 5 uu? If so thats probably to do with perma weather and I wouldn't read much further into it. If you mean it's banned in SM OU id argue there are more potential abusers of weather in gen 7, but that doesn't necessarily mean it should be left alone here. Need more info

16 minutes ago, Gunthug said:

Do you mean sand stream was banned in gen 5 uu? If so thats probably to do with perma weather and I wouldn't read much further into it. If you mean it's banned in SM OU id argue there are more potential abusers of weather in gen 7, but that doesn't necessarily mean it should be left alone here. Need more info

Sand is totally legal in gen 7. In gen 5 UU, the only sand setter was hippopotas, which I'm going to guess isn't really a top tier mon with its impressive 330 BST. I don't think there are any actual bans on weather in gen 5 UU from what I can tell actually. Weather is just generally not a thing because every weather setter is in OU besides vulpix / snover / hippopotas, which are really terrible outside of the super niche weather setting that they provide. 

In a meta where weather only lasts 5-8 turns (well only 5 right now), it's not really problematic at all. 

3 hours ago, Gunthug said:

Ah ok, didnt know weather was still permanent in gen5. Didnt find too much googling and with sand stream being banned its no regular thing in youtube videos and stuff, thats  why i started the thread, but that would explain it.

3 hours ago, BurntZebra said:

Sand is totally legal in gen 7. In gen 5 UU, the only sand setter was hippopotas, which I'm going to guess isn't really a top tier mon with its impressive 330 BST. I don't think there are any actual bans on weather in gen 5 UU from what I can tell actually. Weather is just generally not a thing because every weather setter is in OU besides vulpix / snover / hippopotas, which are really terrible outside of the super niche weather setting that they provide. 

In a meta where weather only lasts 5-8 turns (well only 5 right now), it's not really problematic at all. 

I tried to throw a hippopotas into a gen5 UU team and when i clicked validate it said that sand stream is banned. Just tried the same with gigalith, same result.

The weather setting in conjunction with sand veil is what actually concerned me. While hippos stats arent that great, even with an eviolite, its ability doesnt have any competition, so the theres no actual weather war, which results sand veil safely granting 4 turns of raised evasiveness. Would it be considered healthy or not unhealthy rather, due to sand only lasting 5 turns?

6 hours ago, DrButler said:

Ah ok, didnt know weather was still permanent in gen5. Didnt find too much googling and with sand stream being banned its no regular thing in youtube videos and stuff, thats  why i started the thread, but that would explain it.

I tried to throw a hippopotas into a gen5 UU team and when i clicked validate it said that sand stream is banned. Just tried the same with gigalith, same result.

The weather setting in conjunction with sand veil is what actually concerned me. While hippos stats arent that great, even with an eviolite, its ability doesnt have any competition, so the theres no actual weather war, which results sand veil safely granting 4 turns of raised evasiveness. Would it be considered healthy or not unhealthy rather, due to sand only lasting 5 turns?

Gigalith didn't have sand stream in gen 5, a gen 7 addition. It does appear that they banned weather in UU, but I think it's more because weather setters were less common in play, so if you brought a hippo into battle and your opponent didn't have any other weather setter (aka vulpix / snover), then your stoutland etc would be at an advantage the entire match. This is just speculation though on the reason why, I can't seem to find any threads specifically where they banned weather (except for a snow warning thread).

As for our meta, I'm gonna go ahead and say no. Sand veil is really not that overpowered, especially when it's only lasting about 3 turns. Realistically a sand veil user needs to run substitute+a set up move to potentially take advantage of misses, and even then, it's not a guaranteed chance you got a free turn due to a miss. 

3 hours ago, BurntZebra said:

Gigalith didn't have sand stream in gen 5, a gen 7 addition. It does appear that they banned weather in UU, but I think it's more because weather setters were less common in play, so if you brought a hippo into battle and your opponent didn't have any other weather setter (aka vulpix / snover), then your stoutland etc would be at an advantage the entire match. This is just speculation though on the reason why, I can't seem to find any threads specifically where they banned weather (except for a snow warning thread).

As for our meta, I'm gonna go ahead and say no. Sand veil is really not that overpowered, especially when it's only lasting about 3 turns. Realistically a sand veil user needs to run substitute+a set up move to potentially take advantage of misses, and even then, it's not a guaranteed chance you got a free turn due to a miss. 

Yeah, didnt find anything either, so i started this thread. I mean we dont really have any competitors on setting weather below OU either, but i probably overestimated sand quite a little, altough i think sand veil could be quite a pain in the ass if used on gligar; future will tell tho.

Guess i went overboard again, so thanks for clearing things up.