New Tournament Idea

Are you interested in this tournament?  

7 members have voted

1. 1. Are you interested in this tournament?

• I would definitely participate
    • I probably would participate if I had the time in June
    • I might participate
    • I probably wouldn't participate
    • I definitely wouldn't

This is not a thread advertising a tournament this is asking for complications of making this tournament go public. Also this is not a traditional tournament so keep this in mind.

Please stick to constructive criticism and explain your criticism.

My broad question would be could I make this tournament public and it will work?

Feel free to comment on the following:

• The starters, should some be removed or added.
  • Rules, should some be removed or added
    • Banned Moves
    • Clauses
  • Prerequisites and fees, should it be easier or harder to qualify, should the expenses be higher or lower
  • Rewards
  • Structure

Brief summary/history on this tournament:

Spoiler

This tournament was originally played through in August of 2016 by 6 friends. We played through Kanto and everyone had a normal Kanto starter. We had basic rules such as no buying pokemon off of the gtl and no trading with players outside the tournament. Then in June 2017 the second tournament started with some old players and some new players. This time we had a broader list of starters and everyone had different starters, around 9 were used and ~20 were not used. Starters were chosen like is described below. The starters chosen were: Phanpy, Swablu, Bagon, Beldum, Dratini, Charmander, Squirtle, Eeevee, and Trapinch. We used rules a bit more faithful to the rules below. We played through Hoenn this time. We ran into complications when two of our players could not resume the tournament and we only managed to gain another person, (We were a small group of friends , not many options for pokemmo players). We managed though to get through it. This time we plan to allow applications into the tournament to get more faithful people to the game. This time we would like to have a multiple of 4 players so a standard bracket tournament could be setup, however we have managed without that and did so pretty well so its fine if we do not have that multiple of four.

Below would be the rough draft of the tournament's thread, any comments starting with ** would be excluded and primarily serve as explanations for why we did what we did

CBC = Could be changed

It will be prettier and friendlier

**Insert name** Tournament June 2018

Structure

Spoiler
  • Each player will make a fresh character
  • Each player will receive a starter(Sees Starters below) from me(tourney admin)
  • For every gym the player will level up their team to that gym's level cap and not defeat the gym leader.
  • Then a mini-tournament will be organized on a scheduled date where each player will have two to three preliminary rounds
  • Wins and losses are recorded in a W:L ratio
  • Every player who is at or above the win threshold for the preliminaries will then enter a sudden death tournament.
  • Points are distributed throughout all players who participated (and prelims too)
  • Spoiler
    • Example for an 8 player tourney
    • 1st place: 8 points
    • 2nd place: 6 pts
    • 3rd : 4 pts
    • 4th : 2 pts
    • 5-8th(Eliminated in prelims): 0 pts
  • This is one for all 8 gyms
  • Our final tournament is organized by ranking in our point system, 1st place plays last place etc.
  • Rewards are distributed after the final tourney

Starters

Spoiler

Starters are picked before the tournament starts.

First, all players names are placed in a list in random.org

Then the new randomized version of that list is the new order for picks

Then all the non-taken starters are placed in a list again, the first three are choices for that player

If the player does not like the 3 they can chose eevee instead or opt to be put at the bottom of the list for a repick

This is repeated for all players until everyone has a starter

Before the tournament you can ask other players for a trade but once it has started you may not trade starters.

All starters are level 5 or 6 and bred randomly so ivs are totally random, natures are totally random, and egg moves are random unless they do not learn an attacking move by level 5.

Spoiler
  • gastly
  • abra
  • pikachu
  • totodile
  • bulbasaur
  • scyther
  • cyndaquil
  • trapinch
  • mareep
  • larvitar
  • beldum -- comes with leftovers but must be returned before tourney1
  • phanpy
  • charmander
  • chikorita
  • squirtle
  • bagon
  • torchic
  • mudkip
  • treeko
  • spheal
  • dratini
  • phanpy
  • duskull
  • growlithe
  • roiulu
  • munchlax
  • oshawott
  • tepig
  • snivy
  • axew
  • sneasel
  • gligar
  • togepi
  • porygon
  • elekid
  • magby

Rules

Spoiler
  1. You may not trade pokemon and items with players/characters outside the tourney (including your own characters)
  2. You may trade money(self-sponsor) but not trade items and pokemon to yourself.
  3. You may not buy pokemon off of the gtl.
  4. All trades must be ss and put on discord
  5. You may not breed
  6. You must follow all battle clauses
  7. There may not be more than two of any evolution line in the tournament.
  8. You must follow the tournament structure and not go ahead until each mini-tournament is complete
  9. You may travel to other regions but you may not progress past the number of badges you have in Kanto.
  10. You may not use gift pokemon
  11. You may not harass others. Please keep yourself in moderation
  12. You must always use your starter pokemon in tourneys, you are also unable to trade it
  13. You may not add an evolution line that is taken by an in-use starter pokemon.

If you think someone has broken the rules do not confront them, contact myself or other 'Trusteds'

Battle Clauses

Spoiler

Species Clause
Pristine Clause
OHKO Clause
Evasion Clause
Bag Items Clause
Broken/Banned Moves Clause
>Baton Pass
>Dragon Rage (<40 lvl)
Item Clause

Application/Pre-requisites/Fees

Spoiler

All players must be:

16 years of age or older

Have very good to fluent English

Must be able to speak with others on Discord

Be able to or have someone else be able to cover their fees

Fees:

100k non refundable to enter (This is to help sponsor the rewards at the end and compensate for the starter)

100k to enter refundable at end(acts as fines if you break no rules this money will be returned to you at the end of the tournament, if you break some you may not receive all of this)

500k optional to chose a starter (This helps funds prizes/rewards at end)

TBD Mini-tournament fees to reward to players who win gym tourneys

Look at Rewards to view that you will break out even if you pay only required fees and come in last.

Application:

How old are you?

What country do you live in?(say FC if French Canadian): 

What level of English do you have?:

How much time do you have daily to dedicate to this tournament?

Can you attend this discord?

IGN of must used character:

Rewards(Will be changed probably)

Spoiler

1st place: 5 million

2nd place: 2 million

3rd place: 1 million

4th and 5th place: 500k

6+: 100k + Refundable fines

If you notice this if you do not break any rules, finish the tournament, and pay only the required fees you break out even.

Cheating Policy

Spoiler

When you pay to enter the tournament you acknowledge myself as the Tournament's Administrator. I decide if someone has broken a rule or not, and if there is enough evidence I may fine you or boot you for breaking rules. I am pretty lenient however and I will understand minor rule breaks I will try to give an appropriate punishment.

End Notes

This tournament is mainly for enjoyment and competition, not the prize. Please be respectful and only participate if you believe you will enjoy yourself.

Edited by jstory
  • 1 month later...

Sounds cool.  I would definitely do it if it any region other than unova.  I guess one thing that seems weird is the starters.  Why so many, and why use starters at all?  What if you made people not even use the starter poke youre given and beat the game and make teams completely off of stuff caught in the wild before the gyms?  That would be better than randomly having to fight against a haxorus or metagross with a meganium and ampharos just because you picked your starter badly. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.