Shiny trade is dead

Goku

I mean it died a long time ago but as in now it's a real problem. As in seriously wtf is going on? All shiny prices are dropping fast af. I mean in the past months since the release of Unova I thought the trade economy would fix itself.  The value of everything is unstable AF!!!!!! The only means of shiny trade these days is basically through gtl because trade chat is a waste of time. Shiny trading is a fcking joke. In the past 4 months I've seen rares sell for not even a 3rd value. Surely I am not the only one who have realized this??

shiny trade might just not be fun gameplay

people might just buy their 1 fav unova shiny, but not 'buy and sell for profit', as that way of playing has ben around for 5 years and unova isnt gonna suddenly hype it up anymore

specially if nobody knows wtf they're doing

And I buy a lot of shit on gtl so I commonly see pokes with 13/11/2012 04:40:37 why is this even relevant? Are there shinies that has been caught from 2012 and their dates also nerved to this??

3 minutes ago, Goku said:

And I buy a lot of shit on gtl so I commonly see pokes with 13/11/2012 04:40:37 why is this even relevant? Are there shinies that has been caught from 2012 and their dates also nerved to this??

I think that's the date at which dates in summary tab were implemented.

Meaning, the game doesn't know the date for pokes caught before that day.

My starter blastoise has that date, yet my account was created weeks prior, on 9/29/2012.

Sounds to me like the market is adjusting itself to the now *public* rates and the new mechanics (hordes).

Don't expect stuff to sell as in old times. Now that money is hard to come by for people who actually plays the game and not just collects yen, its understandable that the things which hold the least competitive value will drop. This is reflected in the bunch of "2012" shinnies for sale. Players are burning through stacks of old shinnies to get unova shinnies or new comps.

4 minutes ago, axx said:

Sounds to me like the market is adjusting itself to the now *public* rates and the new mechanics (hordes).

Don't expect stuff to sell as in old times. Now that money is hard to come by for people who actually plays the game and not just collects yen, its understandable that the things which hold the least competitive value will drop. This is reflected in the bunch of "2012" shinnies for sale. Players are burning through stacks of old shinnies to get unova shinnies or new comps.

lol there is a shiny deino and hydreigon 25mil kek on gtl... If shinies become so cheap then there is no point for competitive play. Players will have an easier time to buy the shinies they desire and breed them with better iv's then to compete for one that is not even trade-able.

5 minutes ago, Goku said:

lol there is a shiny deino and hydreigon 25mil kek on gtl... If shinies become so cheap then there is no point for competitive play. Players will have an easier time to buy the shinies they desire and breed them with better iv's then to compete for one that is not even trade-able.

crazy thought here:

there are players who play comp and dont care about shinnies

19 minutes ago, axx said:

Sounds to me like the market is adjusting itself to the now *public* rates

Doubt this has any effect, however

19 minutes ago, axx said:

and the new mechanics (hordes).

this does

14 minutes ago, Goku said:

Shinies are and should be one of the last reasons people play comp

@OP VD used to keep shiny trading somewhat alive, it's been brought back but it's just not the same and neither is shiny trading

1 minute ago, Draekyn said:

Doubt this has any effect, however

I mean, when you are told (and decide to trust them) that there is a 1/6k chance of finding a shiny using hordes suddenly that shiny you always desired is not that out of reach.

Which pumps more players into hunting, which in turns reduces demand.

It takes speculation from the market, imo.

2 minutes ago, axx said:

I mean, when you are told (and decide to trust them) that there is a 1/6k chance of finding a shiny using hordes suddenly that shiny you always desired is not that out of reach.

Which pumps more players into hunting, which in turns reduces demand.

It takes speculation from the market, imo.

Fair point, I don't know about OP but my point of view is that the low cost of horde shinies or shinies in general isn't an issue

The issue is the lack of actual trading, and that's not as related to our growing supply as the low cost thing

It's just not fun right now

1 hour ago, Goku said:

As in seriously wtf is going on? All shiny prices are dropping fast af.

playerbase is quite dead.

1 hour ago, Goku said:

The value of everything is unstable AF

It isn't, just the newer players have no clue of what they have or the price some shinies hold, so they keep on hammering the market down, it will stabilize.

1 hour ago, Goku said:

trade chat is a waste of time

well, this is 100% true, but doens't apply only to shinies, but to dittos, comps in general aswell. Sadly the trade chat right now is run by new players mostly which in turn brings nothing ''good'' for the older players.

44 minutes ago, Goku said:

lol there is a shiny deino and hydreigon 25mil kek on gtl

they're hordes, eventually they'll be 10m or less

1 hour ago, Goku said:

In the past 4 months I've seen rares sell for not even a 3rd value

Ok this is where I can't agree, there's rares being sold for the right price, but keep in mind, a shiny is worth as much as the buyer can pay, without a buyer, you can't assume a value that nobody will pay. Think my broken english might make this sound slightly wrong idk.

The main problem is, a lot of the 'veteran' shiny traders, are deaded, and with that, there's no active shiny trading, meaning the market will colapse as nobody is actively buying and selling.

Well I think we all knew that with unova update that would happen, since past gen shinies are no longer that surprising since theres a lot of new pokemons people are looking for and unova shinies don't have professional follower sprites and not everyone liked that mod.

Plus, the fact that lots of ppl were holding shinies to sell in case they need money for the update lowered shiny prices too, since a lot of this ppl now actually need that cash bc farming trainers and gyms became slower and not as proftable as before; and the overload of exclusive vanities we got from late 2017 also got prioritized in market.

I mean, what is even the problem here. The problem economy wise would be that different coloured pixels are by far the most desired things on the market while having no additional value than their rarity. That's when you know there is literally nothing to invest your money on in this game. The fact people are rather investing on competitive Pokemon does exactly what a MMO like this is supposed to do and that is developing some kind of excitement to use a little bit of time for the competitive Pokemon you're planning to use in battle.

On 1/18/2018 at 10:14 PM, redspawn said:

playerbase is quite dead.

It isn't, just the newer players have no clue of what they have or the price some shinies hold, so they keep on hammering the market down, it will stabilize.

well, this is 100% true, but doens't apply only to shinies, but to dittos, comps in general aswell. Sadly the trade chat right now is run by new players mostly which in turn brings nothing ''good'' for the older players.

they're hordes, eventually they'll be 10m or less

Ok this is where I can't agree, there's rares being sold for the right price, but keep in mind, a shiny is worth as much as the buyer can pay, without a buyer, you can't assume a value that nobody will pay. Think my broken english might make this sound slightly wrong idk.

The main problem is, a lot of the 'veteran' shiny traders, are deaded, and with that, there's no active shiny trading, meaning the market will colapse as nobody is actively buying and selling.

I agree with what you saying mate but like if the market collapses htf is it gonna repair itself. Like this is the end line bro lel.

Funny, I had impression that it's quite opposite. 

People are posting a lot of shinies in gtl. With max fee of 25k they can post any rare shiny and it cuts all "I will pay 50k" oferts you can get on /trade".

Also you've said 

In the past 4 months I've seen rares sell for not even a 3rd value. Surely I am not the only one who have realized this??

So are they sold or not? They are. Are they dropping in value? yes. Is it bad thing? If you kept rare shiny for long time thinking his value will increase, yes.

Just look at vulpix and growlithe, I've seen arca being sold for 7m.

This doesn't mean shiny trade is dead. But with 500+ mons around, players have choice to buy they desired shiny, and it might just not happend to be the ones someone tries to sell.

47 minutes ago, Bearminator said:

Funny, I had impression that it's quite opposite. 

People are posting a lot of shinies in gtl. With max fee of 25k they can post any rare shiny and it cuts all "I will pay 50k" oferts you can get on /trade".

Also you've said 

So are they sold or not? They are. Are they dropping in value? yes. Is it bad thing? If you kept rare shiny for long time thinking his value will increase, yes.

This doesn't mean shiny trade is dead. But with 500+ mons around, players have choice to buy they desired shiny, and it might just not happend to be the ones someone tries to sell.

Mate I am saying that like most rares value decreased lel. In fact everything decreased. shinies not in hordes getting cheaper.

Edited by Goku
2 minutes ago, Goku said:

Mate I am saying that like most rares value decreased lel. In fact everything decreased. shinies not in hordes getting cheaper.

So values change - that rather indicates an active market instead of a 'dead' one determining the actual value/price

34 minutes ago, Bearminator said:

This is not true, most rare shinies won't drop in value, I'm thinking about 150-200m+ shinies such as safari rares, starters etc. because like you said they're rare.

Prices are dropping because the older the game gets the more shinies will be found and then they will become more common thus why prices are dropping, rare shinies value won't drop as long as they are still rare and hard to find.

Dogs aren't a good exemple, they dropped so much because hordes are a thing, ANY shiny's value could drop because of hordes and even rares ofc.

Shiny trade is dead because most of people don't care anymore about shinies cause they are becoming too common and the shiny hype is gone except for rares.

I agree with Aerun about the rare shinies part, I think people's perception of what a "rare" shiny is is skewed. Things like Lapras and safari rares won't budge that much.

58 minutes ago, Bearminator said:

With max fee of 25k they can post any rare shiny and it cuts all "I will pay 50k" oferts you can get on /trade".

This however is a really good point