Is it just me?..

Mind you this isn't a /hate/ thread. Don't come here and post petty "get over it" or "learn 2 breed n00b". You'll look like a giant arse. :)

But, Am I the only one who finds the new breeding system.. kind of.. unengaging and more of a chore? To be honest, I miss the old breeding system.. it at least had a bit of charm to it. (*shot)

Edited by GiraffeDuckStrikes
1 hour ago, Malorne said:

To be honest, i wouldn't mind two separate breeding methods, one being the old (clonemmo) where u can give two pokemon to the old lady and get an egg from the old man (random IV's overall) and IV breeding (from the old man)

This would literally become random iv everytime because people would first breed something like 6x31, then breed in with the old method. The one currently rn although not perfect, is pretty much the optimal solution for the problem. Helps with the economy, and isn't overly expensive

______

To the OP, if you have any question in regards to breeding, feel free to PM me and ask.

10 minutes ago, redspawn said:

This would literally become random iv everytime because people would first breed something like 6x31, then breed in with the old method. The one currently rn although not perfect, is pretty much the optimal solution for the problem. Helps with the economy, and isn't overly expensive

I think what Malorne meant is that you could have two parents that don't go away, but the egg that you get will have random encounter style IVs (i.e. parents don't influence the offspring other than what species it is).

1 minute ago, Gilan said:

I think what Malorne meant is that you could have two parents that don't go away, but the egg that you get will have random encounter style IVs (i.e. parents don't influence the offspring other than what species it is).

I wouldnt mind this honestly, it would make breeding more inviting for new players or casual players

3 hours ago, GiraffeDuckStrikes said:

Mind you this isn't a /hate/ thread. Don't come here and post petty "get over it" or "learn 2 breed n00b". You'll look like a giant arse. :)

But, Am I the only one who finds the new breeding system.. kind of.. unengaging and more of a chore? To be honest, I miss the old breeding system.. it at least had a bit of charm to it. (*shot)

if this feels like a chore to you you can always ask someone to breed pokemon for you insted and make the economy turn becaus some people like me hate to grind money doing gym run or npc farming so we find other way to make money like breeding for people

3 minutes ago, Gilan said:

ahhh I see, I'd 100% be down for this, especially to shiny egg hunt fossils etc, this would be great.

3 minutes ago, redspawn said:

I mean, the same already is, by using crap dittos + rare poke.

that make the economy for crap ditto run that way at least

3 minutes ago, FuzzyRegirock said:

but how is it any different from running back and forth in grass to find shinies?

becaus you can do it on the side and double the speed making them way less rare

Just now, ThePrettyPetard said:

that make the economy for crap ditto run that way at least

which is 100% unnecessary to have this sort of pseudo economy, and most people gift the dittos away so it doenst help the economy a single bit? I mean, I've hatched probably 200+ eggs with crap dittos, never bought a single. Either catched by me, or gifted.

12 minutes ago, FuzzyRegirock said:

I wouldnt mind this honestly, it would make breeding more inviting for new players or casual players

With the downside (from a balance perspective) of probably being quicker than actually hunting the mon, sinking less balls (since you can just use 1 to 'capture' the baby) and constantly producing more of the same species that might be good without encouraging players to visit different areas to capture different species and having encounter rates come into play.

It just seems like a "Make something that is almost breeding but not, that is still harmful to the balance of the game, just not as harmful" to appease those who don't like the fact that breeding sinks the parents.

Unfortunately the reality is that it's a necessity to the system, and introducing something that spits out more of the same species at you with little work/less balls & cash sunk is not really a good idea.

3 minutes ago, Darkshade said:

without encouraging players to visit different areas to capture different species and having encounter rates come into play.

I mean, the other point of view would be that capturing them on their spots would grant they already come with a few levels for newer players, which might be preferable over a lvl 1 poke? idk.

3 minutes ago, Darkshade said:

Unfortunately the reality is that it's a necessity to the system, and introducing something that spits out more of the same species at you with little work/less balls & cash sunk is not really a good idea.

I do have to agree

I also don't like the new breeding system, not because it's unbalanced, too hard or something (there are obviously a few problems like the genderless pokemon breeding), but because trading two pokemons to get an egg is not logical and is lorebreaking, it doesn't feel like I'm playing Pokemon. I understand what the devs goals were for implementing this and they accomplished them, but breeding pokemon isn't, or at least shouldn't be treated as the same as mixing materials together to create a weapon or something in other MMOs.

tl;dr: OP isn't the only one

Edited by Roundabout
2 minutes ago, Roundabout said:

trading two pokemons to get an egg is not logical and is lorebreaking

Old men is releasing them out to the wild because:

1) They knows what you will be doing with them and he thinks it's immoral to let you hold them as a captive/use for battles for eternity

2) They get orders from goverment to release mons to keep population of wild mons stable so trainers won't "catch em all" and lock up in PCs 

You are agreeing before giving mons to them so at least old men are fair with you and not doing anything shady.

Wasn't that hard to come up with logic behind it

14 minutes ago, Roundabout said:

trading two pokemons to get an egg is not logical and is lorebreaking, it doesn't feel like I'm playing Pokemon

as Toupi said, just think of the parents being released into the wild

As an alternative, I digged out this suggestion for you to fit the crafting/breeding into the lore and still maintaining the current system :)

9 minutes ago, Roundabout said:

I also don't like the new breeding system, not because it's unbalanced, too hard or something (there are obviously a few problems like the genderless pokemon breeding), but because trading two pokemons to get an egg is not logical and is lorebreaking

Obviously this is somewhat subjective:

Lore is something I take a personal interest in too, and when it came to writing the dialogue for the DayCare man, this was something I had to think about.

And (in my opinion) the way in which the mechanic presented to the player is the best possible way to fit it into the 'lore'.

27 minutes ago, Roundabout said:

but breeding pokemon isn't, or at least shouldn't be treated as the same as mixing materials together to create a weapon or something in other MMOs.

For balancing purposes [regardless of whether it is the traditional way breeding is handled within the vanilla games] we needed to sink the parents in return for the child.

This had to be the objective - to prevent large amounts of inflation of each species and monsters with good IVs and into the game. (And believe me we saw this on a rather large scale before we adopted our current system).

Trading monsters is rather common in this world, and is actually a requirements for specific evolutions, NPCs looking to trade for certain species and even on another level by trading Mushrooms for a Move Reminder service.

The DayCare Man is offering a similar service - to breed parents of your selection for a baby with better stats.

What he asks for in return is to keep those parents.

It may be unorthodox in terms of how the breeding mechanics play out in vanilla, but it doesn't go beyond the possible lore.

Two parents still make an egg; the only difference here being only the egg is returned to you.

And as pointed out above - this is something he explains to you (in a fair amount of detail) before you accept his terms.

If it's purely a "This isn't what I'm used to" feeling you get that you dislike, I obviously can't say much to make you change your mind,  but lore-wise it checks out just fine.

Lore-wise we have 3 mothers already and a gym leader father.

On topic, additional breeding method is not needed. It will make an inflation of rare species with low encounter rates in game

If something like-"rare pokemon can't breed with this method" is done then it might be possible. I don't see any other way.

16 hours ago, sephiroth1977 said:

We cannot go back to the old breeding mechanic without messing up the current economy. It would be counter productive...

Not necessarily if you put the right amount of money sink in play. IV, nature random yes. but u'll also need to pay to receive the egg. 1 pokeball sink is hardly worth that much consideration into it. Main reason behind this would be to obtain rare pokemons faster if you are looking for a breeder but its a pain in the ass to get (i.e. final gambit riolu(u gonna hate riolu's when final gambit is in) or take down beldum) you'll just be easing up the method to obtain those rare pokemons for a price. Maybe vary the price depending on their rarity. Less annoying, more efficient. 

On 1/14/2018 at 4:57 AM, Darkshade said:

If it's purely a "This isn't what I'm used to" feeling you get that you dislike, I obviously can't say much to make you change your mind,  but lore-wise it checks out just fine.

Lore reference is utter bullshit since u get parents back usually, regardless of comp breeding. 50/50 accuracy does not make it relevant enough to call it "lore-wise"

• 5 months later...