[PSL] Playoffs Suggestion

[PSL] Playoffs Suggestion  

36 members have voted

1. 1. What Playoffs System do you prefer?

• The Current Playoffs System
    • The Suggested Playoffs System

When we reach week 6 or week 7 of the regular season, going to playoffs becomes impossible for certain teams and therefore the players of these teams have nothing to fight for. It’s imo very unfortunate that every season when we get to that point, players stop competing as much as they used to and I don’t think they are to blame at all. Even if they teambuild and put in some efforts towards trying to secure some wins, there is a fundamental psychological difference between someone playing to win and someone playing because he/she has to.

I think PSL would become better if when a team competes that team still has a chance – no matter how small – to win the entire event and all teams always feels the need to win the week to improve/keep their ranking. I propose that all teams make it to playoffs, but based on their rank they are either advantaged or disadvantaged.

Current Playoffs System:
5278e6aa92c14b98c37fe3cb0bac380a.png
The 7th Place Team and 8th Place Team are eliminated. The 1st Place Team and 2nd Place Team move on automatically to seminals. This implies that in regular season there is no difference between coming 8th or 7th, between coming 6th, 5th, 4th or 3rd and between coming 2nd or 1st.

What I had in mind:
335c82f08213b5eb0d55dca43fa1e8f0.png

1st Place Team vs the 8th Place Team  --> The 1st Place Team has 2 automatic wins in the tiers of their choice.
2nd Place Team vs the 7th Place Team --> The 2nd Place Team has 1 automatic win in the tier of their choice and 1 automatic win in the tier of the 7th Place Team choice.

3rd Place Team vs the 6th Place Team  --> The 3rd Place Team has 1 automatic win in the tier of their choice.
4th Place Team vs the 5th Place Team  --> The 4th Place Team has 1 automatic win in the tier of the 5th Place Team choice.

Imo, by changing Playoffs system, each team would have a reason to fight until the bitter end. There are significant differences in advantages or disadvantages between each rank. All teams also make it to playoffs and we get to see more duel for the first round of playoffs without having to make PSL last longer.

Feel free to give some feedback on this suggestion. Also, if you don't like this idea, do not fear the small council is pushing this idea on you guys; they were not aware I was going to post this, it's just me.

Edited by gbwead
8 minutes ago, gbwead said:

1st Place Team vs the 8th Place Team  --> The 1st Place Team has 2 automatic wins in the tiers of its choice.

meaning #1 gets to choose 2 tiers that wont even be played that round and they start 2-0 and team #8 only gets 6 chances to win at least 4 to tie?

2 minutes ago, Torinnnnn said:

meaning #1 gets to choose 2 tiers that wont even be played that round and they start 2-0 and team #8 only gets 6 chances to win at least 4 to tie?

Yes, 6 duels remain and team #8 needs 4 wins to get the tie, which would be extremely hard since they are facing the regular season best team and they can't rely on their 2 best tiers. 

3 minutes ago, gbwead said:

Yes, 6 duels remain and team #8 needs 4 wins to get the tie, which would be extremely hard since they are facing the regular season best team and they can't rely on their 2 best tiers. 

i mean i like the idea of all teams making it to playoffs but dont really think the #1 team should get an advantage that big. They already playing the worst team

7 minutes ago, FNTCZ said:

What would be the point of regular season if the last place team still goes to playoffs? 

Playoffs might no longer be the right term, but the regular season would still serve to discriminate the best teams from the worst. Even though it would be technically possible for the last place team to make it past the first round, it very unlikely.

5 minutes ago, Torinnnnn said:

i mean i like the idea of all teams making it to playoffs but dont really think the #1 team should get an advantage that big. They already playing the worst team

I guess the advantages could vary depending on what we deem more appropriate. Also, 1st Place Team doesn't even have to fight during the first round of playoffs in the current system, so as big as 2 auto wins may seem it remains a nerf compare to what they had before.

Edited by gbwead
6 minutes ago, gbwead said:

Playoffs might no longer be the right term, but the regular season would still serve to discriminate the best teams from the worst. Even though it would be technically possible for the last place team to make it past the first round, it very unlikely.

I guess the advantages could vary depending on what we deem more appropriate. Also, 1st Place Team doesn't even have to fight during the first round of playoffs in the current system, so as big as 2 auto wins may seem it remains a nerf compare to what they had before.

All 8 teams should have made it before imo,  last week's of psl are always dead cuz 2 teams already don't care. I'll still vote for this cuz i like all 8 teams getting in,  but the 2 game advantage is meh,  nothing's better than a Cinderella story that gets hot during playoffs and wins it all and that disadvantage makes it near impossible

Maybe instead of 

35 minutes ago, gbwead said:

1st Place Team vs the 8th Place Team  --> The 1st Place Team has 2 automatic wins in the tiers of its choice.
2nd Place Team vs the 7th Place Team --> The 2nd Place Team has 2 automatic wins in the tiers of the 7th Place Team choice.

3rd Place Team vs the 6th Place Team  --> The 3rd Place Team has 1 automatic win in the tier of its choice.
4th Place Team vs the 5th Place Team  --> The 4th Place Team has 1 automatic win in the tier of the 5th Place Team choice.

have 

36 minutes ago, gbwead said:

2nd Place Team vs the 7th Place Team --> The 2nd Place Team has 1 automatic win in the tier of the 7th Place Team choice and 1 automatic win in the tier of their own choice.

3rd Place Team vs the 6th Place Team  --> The 3rd Place Team has 1 automatic win in the tier of its choice.

?

Because in your suggestion, the difference between the 1st placed team's round and the 2nd placed team's round seem a bit too much.

Apart from that, I like it!

2 hours ago, Torinnnnn said:

All 8 teams should have made it before imo,  last week's of psl are always dead cuz 2 teams already don't care. I'll still vote for this cuz i like all 8 teams getting in,  but the 2 game advantage is meh,  nothing's better than a Cinderella story that gets hot during playoffs and wins it all and that disadvantage makes it near impossible

Yes I agree but then it wouldnt mean anything to have lost 7 weeks in a row. Imo a smaller advantage would just lead a team to not give a fuck at all during regular season, that's the problem. Also I'd vote for no advantage between #4 and #5, to have at least one fair battle in playoffs.

But I like Cinderella stories too so why not :

Deal with this in a hyped way is to get 8 matches played by each team, but give a +2 advantage to the #1 and 2 spot (and no advantage to the 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th teams), so 8th team would need a 5-3 to tie (from a 4-2), which seems a bit more balanced, but it would indeed reduce the advantage the #1 and 2 receive over the #8 and 7.

AND we would get to see 32 matches instead of 26 !

Edited by Kamimiii

I like this idea, however will the bans be made before or after lineups are announced

IE: I got frags in OU 2 vs Fred in OU 2, this is clearly a favourable matchup for me... however because of this the opposing team decides to auto win this game 

Also will auto W/L count to overall PSL W/L player records 

Edit: Lastly will this advantage move beyond round 1 in playoffs?

Edited by DoctorPBC
29 minutes ago, DoctorPBC said:

I like this idea, however will the bans be made before or after lineups are announced

IE: I got frags in OU 2 vs Fred in OU 2, this is clearly a favourable matchup for me... however because of this the opposing team decides to auto win this game 

I was thinking that the bans should be made before lineups are announced, so that both managers can select their top players for the remaining tiers and the spectators get to see higher quality duels. However, I was just presenting the idea, it's completly up for discussion. What would you prefer?

29 minutes ago, DoctorPBC said:

Edit: Lastly will this advantage move beyond round 1 in playoffs?

I don't think that is necessary.

Edited by gbwead

why not have the 7 and 8 seed fight for a playoff spot? 1 seed would get a bye, 2 seed faces winner of the 7/8 seed, 3v6, 4v5. still keeps the traditional seeding but gives 1 an advantage, 2 a slight advantage (realistically). personally i dont like the idea of free wins cause well, free wins would make it less competitive imo, could literally determine the difference between a W or a T, and if it's already given out then thats no fun

3 minutes ago, Toast said:

why not have the 7 and 8 seed fight for a playoff spot? 1 seed would get a bye, 2 seed faces winner of the 7/8 seed, 3v6, 4v5. still keeps the traditional seeding but gives 1 an advantage, 2 a slight advantage (realistically). personally i dont like the idea of free wins cause well, free wins would make it less competitive imo, could literally determine the difference between a W or a T, and if it's already given out then thats no fun

Unless I misunderstood, wouldn't that add an extra week?

Not sure I like auto-wins. Taking matches away from the PSL defeats the whole purpose of the league imo.

Alternatively if you made 1v4 2v3 5v8 6v7, loser of 5v8 and 6v7 are gone and winner faces the loser of 1v4 2v3 next week. Then so on the winners advance. This adds an extra week but at least gives advantage to a top half finish whilst still keeping all matches

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.