Rest turn duration (GEN 5)

I was wondering if you put yourself to sleep in Unova and then switch out, do you sleep 2 turn after? or does sleep counter randomly resets? I really don't want to waste my Restalk TMS. would it be possible to change Rest sleep duration to normal 2 turns after switch? any thoughts? 

7 hours ago, jpshadow said:

I was wondering if you put yourself to sleep in Unova and then switch out, do you sleep 2 turn after? or does sleep counter randomly resets? I really don't want to waste my Restalk TMS. would it be possible to change Rest sleep duration to normal 2 turns after switch? any thoughts? 

As far as I know (at least this is how it worked prior to the update), you sleep for (2-x) turns (where x is the number of sleep turns burnt) after you rested irrespective of whether you have switched. If you burn one of those turns, you must sleep for one more turn before waking up on the turn after (not accounting for Early Bird etc), and this is not reset by switching out. Once you burn a turn either through selecting a normal move or using sleep talk, it is burnt for the rest of the game (i.e until you wake up).

I hope this helps

Edited by Zymogen

As far as I am aware. We have had generation 5+ rest for a very long time. How it currently works is:

Turn 1 - Use Rest

Turn 2 - Asleep

Turn 3 - Asleep

Turn 4 - You wake up and you can attack

It is not like gen 3 where the sleep counter resets every time you only use sleep talk and then switch out. I'll quote something from smogon:

Spoiler

What does that mean in practice?

To put it into other words: if you only use Sleep Talk (or Snore) while you're asleep and switch out before waking up, the turns you spent using Sleep Talk/Snore won't be added to the sleep counter. To successfully burn all these sleep turns, you have to spend one turn attacking (read: not using Sleep Talk) before switching out.

This affects both sleep induced by your opponent (Hypnosis, Spore, etc) and self-induced Sleep (Rest). Keep in mind all of this is relevant only if you switch out before waking up.

This doesn't work here and it does burn your sleep turns and they won't reset when switching out. Hope this cleared everything up.

29 minutes ago, TheChampionMike said:

As far as I am aware. We have had generation 5+ rest for a very long time. How it currently works is:

Turn 1 - Use Rest

Turn 2 - Asleep

Turn 3 - Asleep

Turn 4 - You wake up and you can attack

It is not like gen 3 where the sleep counter resets every time you only use sleep talk and then switch out. I'll quote something from smogon:

Reveal hidden contents

What does that mean in practice?

To put it into other words: if you only use Sleep Talk (or Snore) while you're asleep and switch out before waking up, the turns you spent using Sleep Talk/Snore won't be added to the sleep counter. To successfully burn all these sleep turns, you have to spend one turn attacking (read: not using Sleep Talk) before switching out.

This affects both sleep induced by your opponent (Hypnosis, Spore, etc) and self-induced Sleep (Rest). Keep in mind all of this is relevant only if you switch out before waking up.

This doesn't work here and it does burn your sleep turns and they won't reset when switching out. Hope this cleared everything up.

EarlyBird, Wakeup Slap and Uproar obviously effect this as well