[OU discussion] banned items and levels

level 1 pokemon cant be found in the wild, so if someone wants to enter a tournament with a lvl1 mon that means that, at least, they consciously bred it.

with that in mind, can anyone provide an argument for level 1 pokemon to remain banned? I just want to use my trick room smeargle tyvm

Edited by FNTCZ
3 hours ago, FNTCZ said:

level 1 pokemon cant be found in the wild, so if someone wants to enter a tournament with a lvl1 mon that means that, at least, they consciously bred it.

with that in mind, can anyone provide an argument for level 1 pokemon to remain banned? I just want to use my trick room smeargle tyvm

Unbanning lvl 1 pokemons from automated tournaments, but not other low level pokemons just seem gauche to me. Lvl 1 mons are not the only low levels that are viable and, if devs intent to let us use low level mons, they will probably not settle for a halfway solution. Why would lvl 1 mons be allowed if lvl 2 mons that are almost identical are not?

Edited by gbwead

On hax items, one other relavent aspect I feel like hasn't been mentioned that goes towards the competitiveness of it all is predictably. Like with rockslide aero or serene grace, etc there's only a certain number of pokes that can run them, or make them viable, and you can at least expect your 30% chance or plan for it when you see them and build strategies to counter it. Even the with the 20% evasion, this is true. But with hax items, now all of a sudden anyone can flinch you with anything, and things like rhydon can have priority where they shouldn't, and an otherwise well set up, and perfectly planned sweep can fail because your 100% hit rate didn't hit. Yes, it's only a small chance that you're dealing with, and usually better to run something else....I agree...but it does kindof go completely against the whole strategy of it, which is annoying. 

Perhaps you could make the same Arguement for crits, but at least they can serve an established purpose in terms of things like making leaf blade more viable, or focus energy + scope lens, or breaking past curse setups, sniper, (that move they just added that stops them I forgot the name of), etc. 

2 hours ago, gbwead said:

Unbanning lvl 1 pokemons from automated tournaments, but not other low level pokemons just seem gauche to me. Lvl 1 mons are not the only low levels that are viable and, if devs intent to let us use low level mons, they will probably not settle for a halfway solution. Why would lvl 1 mons be allowed if lvl 2 mons that are almost identical are not?

Because you can catch a wild lvl 2 rattata. the main argument above was that devs dont want new players to queue up with their low level storyline catches.

Also, as doc pointed out, level 49 amoongus was ban worthy for smogon tournaments and I dont see why it wouldnt be the same for us.

Because of all these reasons, in this thread, low level pokemon has been deemed as a bad thing, however those do not apply to level 1 pokemon, only to levels 2-49 so ye, agreeing with you all, please unban level 1 pokemon.

EDIT: why everyone in this thread talks about these dumb items but not about level one pokemon? level 1 trick room smeargle @sash is a legit set and it's a shame we dont have access to it. can I get someone on board?

@Kizhaz @Rigamorty @BurntZebra @Spaintakula @Senile

Edited by FNTCZ
asd
49 minutes ago, FNTCZ said:

Also, as doc pointed out, level 49 amoongus was ban worthy for smogon tournaments and I dont see why it wouldnt be the same for us.

ok reasons

-he said it was banned in vgc. which is pokemon company controlled not smogon and no one has said what gen it was banned in and google has failed us. the only reason we have to think it was banned is docs word.

-pokemmo =/= smogon/vgc this is the whole reason for having a separate tier list and council and rules when copying smogon would be so much easier. i could go on about the reasons why, but everyone in this thread should already know them all. 

-there have been zero calcs, no proof, or any argument at all that a level 49 amoongus would be broken in pokemmo. just a single person making saying "it was banned here" *implying* it would be ban worthy here

2 minutes ago, fredrichnietze said:

ok reasons

-he said it was banned in vgc. which is pokemon company controlled not smogon and no one has said what gen it was banned in and google has failed us. the only reason we have to think it was banned is docs word.

All VGC mons, regardless of their level, are scaled up or down to level 50 since VGC 12 I believe. 

8 minutes ago, gbwead said:

All VGC mons, regardless of their level, are scaled up or down to level 50 since VGC 12 I believe. 

did some reasearch and it would have ot be vgc 2011 then. in 2011 they also banned all pokemon traded to black and white from other handhelds to promote sales of black and white. so the company clearly valued sales more then a balanced game for their world championship and the tier it was banned it had less then half the Pokemon we have now + difference mechanics + different items + pokemon we dont have.