Sign in to follow this  
AxellBlizard

Shiny discussion rate

1 minute ago, RealLifeAngel said:

Idk what there is not to understand.

I don't understand the people shiny hunting for money considering the cost of Leppa Berries and the time spent hunting isn't worth the money they gain from selling a mid-tier shiny. 

10 minutes ago, pachima said:

However, is it just not possible that somehow the rate is glitched for some cases?

No. It's either broken for everybody, or it's broken for nobody. The system being inherently unfair due to random odds isn't "broken".

3 minutes ago, KaynineXL said:

Does this mean hordes are considered one encounter at 5/30000 so you can never encounter 2 shinies per horde?

For the context of this discussion, I'm referring to it as "one encounter." If he's counting 200,000 "encounters" as 40,000 hordes, then it's still only a 660% variance from the average of 1/6000, so it's not very outrageous (considering players can and have encountered @ route 1 on their playthroughs). But his comment was ambiguous and I don't know what he means.

There are no limitations as to the amount of shinies per horde.

Just now, ImFunk said:

I don't understand the people shiny hunting for money considering the cost of Leppa Berries and the time spent hunting isn't worth the money they gain from selling a mid-tier shiny. 

Oh I see what you mean, but it seems to me like that is what most ppl have a problem with when regarding the shiny rate. I do not understand that either tbh, ppl are stupid I guess. Either way though, it rly appears that most ppl like yourself are a minority in this case & that just adds to why having an OT is basically meaningless, unless you are a collector which most ppl are not then there is no point & you'd be better off just doing some old fashion trickery! s:

3 minutes ago, Kyu said:

But his comment was ambiguous and I don't know what he means.

Think he was asking if hordes were counted as a single encounter in 5/30.000 instead of the average single 1/6000. lowering the probability of having multiple shinies in hordes. So only 1 out of 5 might be a shiny or something like that.

3 minutes ago, Kyu said:

Edited by Malorne

1 minute ago, Kyu said:

No. It's either broken for everybody, or it's broken for nobody. The system being inherently unfair due to random odds isn't "broken".

For the context of this discussion, I'm referring to it as "one encounter." If he's counting 200,000 "encounters" as 40,000 hordes, then it's still only a 660% variance from the average of 1/6000, so it's not very outrageous (considering players can and have encountered @ route 1 on their playthroughs). But his comment was ambiguous and I don't know what he means.

Just about every person refers to their number of "encounters" as the individual pokemon they encounter, meaning when they see a horde of 5 they would refer to it as 5 encounters. I say this with confidence since that's how the encounter counter most hunters use works. 

2 minutes ago, Kyu said:

So just for the record. A horde is considered to have a rate of 5/30000 = 1/6000 for each pokemon? And not 1/30000 for each individual pokemon and x3 or 5 depending on the horde?

1 minute ago, Kyu said:

Kyu pls, 5/30k means you can't have any duplicates in a horde ie 1/30k for the first encounter, 1/29999 for the next and so on in the horde.

Basically 1/30k + 1/30k + 1/30k + 1/30k + 1/30k

Whereas if you can have the same pokemon in a horde (two shiny's for example) it means you treat each pokemon in the horde independantly ie 1/30k for each

Basically 5x 1/30k which is 0.00016666666% chance (this being the chance for 2 shiny's)

aaaah, shiny hunting <3

you go to the wild to seek for extremely rare pokemon to have that valuable "thing" you can brag and be proud about

then it turns out it's more rare than you thought and you end up on forum/team chat full of grudge torward ppl* who post on shinny thread xd

*-usually from 1group they dislike: spanish speaking ppl, new players or just members of other team

Rather then receiving a shadow ban once a player is accused to botting, the account should be locked until the issue is resolved.

Some of the unlucky players (with 400k encounters+) might feel they have been banned from encountering a shiny.

A setting should exist that counts the encounters a player has made since their last shiny. Once a shiny was encountered, it sets back to 0.

This way someone can actually post their amount of encounters rather then guessing.

1 minute ago, Toupi said:

*-usually from 1group they dislike: spanish speaking ppl, new players or just members of other team

thats a pretty wide set you got there, 99% of the playerbase i dare say

1 hour ago, Kizhaz said:

Kyu pls, 5/30k means you can't have any duplicates in a horde ie 1/30k for the first encounter, 1/29999 for the next and so on in the horde.

Basically 1/30k + 1/30k + 1/30k + 1/30k + 1/30k

Whereas if you can have the same pokemon in a horde (two shiny's for example) it means you treat each pokemon in the horde independantly ie 1/30k for each

Basically 5x 1/30k which is 0.00016666666% chance (this being the chance for 2 shiny's)

That rate is for a SINGLE one to be shiny. Which is simplified down to an approximate 5/30k.

All rolls are independent of one another, so you do not use 29999.

1 minute ago, axx said:

thats a pretty wide set you got there, 99% of the playerbase i dare say

ppl who are biased torward someone/some group dont give 2seconds to think about it

2 minutes ago, Terresa said:

A setting should exist that counts the encounters a player has made since their last shiny

Having something in-game that keeps track of encounters would be helpful, although this isn't the suggestion box. 

Just now, ImFunk said:

Having something in-game that keeps track of encounters would be helpful, although this isn't the suggestion box. 

ikr

3 minutes ago, Toupi said:

aaaah, shiny hunting <3

you go to the wild to seek for extremely rare pokemon to have that valuable "thing" you can brag and be proud about

then it turns out it's more rare than you thought and you end up on forum/team chat full of grudge torward ppl* who post on shinny thread xd

& then you realize that having your name as the OT does not actually make it more valuable, nor make you any real money. So every time you mention it to somebody you die a little inside because you know you could have actually been accomplishing something during all the time you spent & wasted looking for it. Then right before you attempt suicide you see one of those Spanish speaking new players just caught the same shiny you did, & that someone came along & tricked them into selling it to them for 50k b.c they have no idea what the value was, considering they do not use the forums let alone speak a lick of English, & that is when you kick the table over & dangle there until your Mum comes in to bring you a pop tart & discovers your corpse laying there w/ a pissed off look on your face, b.c you know this game just took you for a ride. 

1 minute ago, Malorne said:

ikr

But you can change your encounter rates on that automatic tool, therefore it's not reliable.

4 minutes ago, Desu said:

2 hours ago, Malorne said:

Any thoughts on making a general mechanics topic for questions like this? would be a hassle to come back to this topic after some time.

4 minutes ago, RealLifeAngel said:

& then you realize that having your name as the OT does not actually make it more valuable, nor make you any real money. So every time you mention it to somebody you die a little inside because you know you could have actually been accomplishing something during all the time you spent & wasted looking for it. Then right before you attempt suicide you see one of those Spanish speaking new players just caught the same shiny you did, & that someone came along & tricked them into selling it to them for 50k b.c they have no idea what the value was, considering they do not use the forums let alone speak a lick of English, & that is when you kick the table over & dangle there until your Mum comes in to bring you a pop tart & discovers your corpse laying there w/ a pissed off look on your face, b.c you know this game just took you for a ride. 

are you okay

15 minutes ago, Torinnnnn said:

Did kyu say no one in this thread was dinged for the cheating thing?

The dinged for cheating is automated and temporary, so unless Kyu looks it up, he doesn't know.

4 minutes ago, Torinnnnn said:

damn thats a thick medi, whats her number

27 minutes ago, Quakkz said:

are you okay

I am OBVIOUSLY fine, @Quakkz you should be asking the one calling creatures thick & wanting their numbers s:

but thx for askin'

Edited by RealLifeAngel

Just now, Tyrone said:

The dinged for cheating is automated and temporary, so unless Kyu looks it up, he doesn't know.

We have debug logs for who gets hit with anti-cheat modifications, and we're checking backwards ~4 months for each of the people who we've stated weren't hit with it.