GTL Public API

Solist

Question

Hello,

I would like to see a public API for GTL data, which would allow for community made third party applications to interact with it.

From a players/customers point of view, I would simply like to see a more friendly UI for the GTL. Longer lists, pretty sprites, faster and more specific filtering, etc. I also often find myself just logging in to organize my listings and look for some breeders or profitable deals. It would be very convenient if I could do this from my phone or browser with some community made app. This ease of access would greatly improve my, and probably many others, overall experience with the game.

From the development team/business point of view, I would argue that there is a lot of unused (development) expertise and creativity within the community. In my opinion, exposing an API to tap into these resources would be a great trade off. Obviously, I don't know much about the state of the backend, so I find it hard to estimate how much effort it would take to set up and maintain such an API. But from my experience, even for big monolithic systems, it was never too hard. There are plenty open source projects to help with this. And I'm sure experienced developers from the community could advice. Also, the GTL domain does not include that much business logic subject to change, as far as I know. I doubt it would require much maintenance. In return, you get a bunch of free UX and development resources to contribute to the games experience (In my opinion, this is reason enough to expose much more of the games data).

I'm aware that a request for an API has been made before. It was deemed too much work to develop and maintain. And there were other priorities.

Which is why I suggest just limiting it to GTL data. Perhaps even hand pick some community members to work with a sandboxed version of the database to let them create this API.

I imagine three endpoints:

• /api/v1/auth - for authentication/authorization
  • /api/v1/gtl/item - for working with item listings
  • /api/v1/gtl/pokemon - for working with pokemon listings

So for example.

I make a GET request to https://pokemmo.eu/api/v1/gtl/item?offset=0?limit=2

Which responds with 2 listings.

Spoiler

[{
    "id": 222
    "item_id": 123,
    "listing_id": 321,
    "name": "Lucky Egg",
    "price": 700000,
    "start_date": 123456789
    "end_date": 987654321
},

{
    "id": 222
    "item_id": 124,
    "listing_id": 322,
    "name": "Everstone",
    "price": 700000,
    "start_date": 123456789
    "end_date": 987654321
}]

Or something along those lines.

Then just let the community's creativity go to work with this.

Thanks for reading.

Edited by Solist

0 answers to this question

There have been no answers to this question yet