Chat language features

Michaelclump

Question

Players should have to confirm their native language before entering the chat, or perhaps there could be a bot that whispers players on flagged words with the /lang <language> suggestion. If a player selects multiple languages that they speak, there should be some type of emphasis on the existence of the /lang command. Additionally, whisper windows could be more useful if given tabs for multiple players, but that's a side thought.

Edited by Michaelclump

14 answers to this question

3 hours ago, redspawn said:

?

There's a tag behind your name, that shows the language you decided as your 'main' language. After that, just respect eachother.

Most people either don't notice, or even notice and choose to disrespect, particularly in the english chat. Can't speak for other languages, but I'm definitely not the only person with a blocklist full of people who land in that channel and never swap.

Just now, Michaelclump said:

choose to disrespect, particularly in the english chat

maybe because if it's a english chat, you're meant to speak english in it, not other language?

1 minute ago, Michaelclump said:

land in that channel and never swap.

about that there's little you can do honestly, this will keep on happening. Your idea wouldn't solve this.

4 minutes ago, redspawn said:

maybe because if it's a english chat, you're meant to speak english in it, not other language?

about that there's little you can do honestly, this will keep on happening. Your idea wouldn't solve this.

I wish there were a lol react for your absolute boldness as you proved the point I'm making. I'm going to miss the internet.

Just now, Michaelclump said:

I wish there were a lol react for your absolute boldness as you proved the point I'm making. I'm going to miss the internet.

I swear I'm having a hard time, getting through to what you want to happen. Because what you want, is the exact solution there is right now, that solves nothing. Plus there will never be a good, or in other words, viable solution to this. Unless you split servers, which won't happen due to multiple reasons. But yeah go out more buddy, that way you don't need to block as many people. 

Might not solve anything in the long run, but it would be easier for staff or the players to identify who's actually trying to be annoying or simply don't know about the language tabs, similar to the "Sell" to trigger an indicator to the trade chat. If anything, it narrows down the list quite a lot than it is now.

I rather like this idea, half the time I try to speak in Channel I'm put off by the language flaming, or there's a discussion in another language in the English channel. While I do agree this wouldn't prevent anything, it would certainly point people in the right direction initially, rather than some translating phrases in google to guide them to the language setup. 

The solution?  More active mods that intervene as soon as someone speaks the wrong language. I know that mods can change you "flag" for you.

So if someone repeatedly keeps going to the EN chat to speak FR, the mods can silence him/her for a predetermined amount of time. 

I noticed that there are times that there is no mod for hours to be seen. Those times seems to mostly when Europe is awake and North America is still sleeping...

I understand the frustration of Michaelclump, but I think that it might not be that easy to build a suitably bot and as stated here above, more mods is an easier and quicker fix.

The bot might be something for a future project, but not a quick fix.

2 hours ago, Heineken88 said:

The solution?  More active mods that intervene as soon as someone speaks the wrong language. I know that mods can change you "flag" for you.

So if someone repeatedly keeps going to the EN chat to speak FR, the mods can silence him/her for a predetermined amount of time. 

I noticed that there are times that there is no mod for hours to be seen. Those times seems to mostly when Europe is awake and North America is still sleeping...

I understand the frustration of Michaelclump, but I think that it might not be that easy to build a suitably bot and as stated here above, more mods is an easier and quicker fix.

The bot might be something for a future project, but not a quick fix.

We do what we can, but automating the system would be more of a hassle. There are some false flags with moving players to trade chat because of the nature of how the filters work. Having this automated would likely cause common words to be flagged incorrectly and there really isn't anything that can be done to stop that. More emphasis on the /lang command would help more.

19 hours ago, XelaKebert said:

We do what we can, but automating the system would be more of a hassle. There are some false flags with moving players to trade chat because of the nature of how the filters work. Having this automated would likely cause common words to be flagged incorrectly and there really isn't anything that can be done to stop that. More emphasis on the /lang command would help more.

just make a filter that flag alguien in english chat and you get rid of about 70% of those invader

On 12/19/2017 at 1:08 AM, XelaKebert said:

We do what we can, but automating the system would be more of a hassle.

Trust me, dealing with the unending stream of spanish or/and brazilian players relentlessly spamming the chat while waiting for one of u guys to show up is "the hassle".

On 18-12-2017 at 11:08 PM, XelaKebert said:

Maybe a trigger for an automated message, as with the tradefilter, but without the automated masking of a message is a possibility. 

Show a message that ain't blockable by the user in the "spoken" language. Something like: "Dear user, you just spoke English in the Dutch chat. Please speak Dutch or change your chatlanguage to English by clicking on the flag on the topside of the chatbox.". Maybe with a logfunction so that a mod can see how many times the warning is shown and so the can act appropriate.

But I think more mods are needed anyway. 

Edited by Heineken88