[PSL9] Season Baen9neXL - THE HYPE THREAD

Those that prefer MMO tiers over Showdown tiers don't understand that the players who prefer showdown do not wish to spend thousands of hours grinding just to be able to compete and be on the same level as others in MMO tiers. It requires an extreme amount of your time + dedication towards getting $$$ for comps, ev training them, obtaining tutor moves, pp maxing them, and then cteaming your opponent. 

Hate saying this but, LC is going to be a PSL tier this season. There are three conditions that need to be met before we can start the season:

1. Eviolite
  2. Implement the remaining common abilities
  3. Implement the remaining moves that are missing (or at least most of them, this has the lowest priority)

Once we get those things, we can rock and roll. 

As much as I hate grinding myself, I think the grind is what make MMO tiers preferable to Showdown tiers in PSL.

2 hours ago, NikhilR said:

Those that prefer MMO tiers over Showdown tiers don't understand that the players who prefer showdown do not wish to spend thousands of hours grinding just to be able to compete and be on the same level as others in MMO tiers. It requires an extreme amount of your time + dedication towards getting $$$ for comps, ev training them, obtaining tutor moves, pp maxing them, and then cteaming your opponent. 

The fact that people have to grind so much in order to compete in MMO is the reason why MMO players spend much more time planning, testing and teambuilding than Showdown players. Every PSL, we usually get very hyped matches for MMO tiers where there is better competition than any secondary showdown tier that gets picked.

11 minutes ago, gbwead said:

As much as I hate grinding myself, I think the grind is what make MMO tiers preferable to Showdown tiers in PSL.

The fact that people have to grind so much in order to compete in MMO is the reason why MMO players spend much more time planning, testing and teambuilding than Showdown players. Every PSL, we usually get very hyped matches for MMO tiers where there is better competition than any secondary showdown tier that gets picked.

That's not really true in theory. With showdown, you are not limited by resources/building comps, so all of your time investment goes into scouting, teambuilding, and testing, which is much easier to do with a huge playerbase for SM OU.

I guess the fault of the showdown tiers in PSL used to lie in the fact that they were a target for the inactive players who were not willing to make new comps for MMO, so they just settled for showdown tiers. But now, I feel that the showdown tiers have a broader appeal to the general playerbase, as we gain new pokemon and new mechanics, the gap between PokeMMO and certain showdown tiers is less than before, and learning how to play gen 4-7 on showdown will broaden your knowledge and teambuilding for MMO. 

19 minutes ago, gbwead said:

I actually agree that the secondary showdown tier hasn't ever really had the quality we had hoped for. But the notion that mmo players spend more time planning, testing, and teambuilding than showdown players is laughable, and also completely beyond proof.

Just now, gbwead said:

I am not sure about what approach you take towards breeding, but I like to breed almost everything because you'll never know when you need something. I've spent the last one week grinding my ass off, and I still have a lot more pokemon to breed with various sets. Like a Lucario can run several sets such as SD / CC / Crunch / Bullet Punch / Espeed  or alternatively a special set, and I just have one atm. I don't plan in advance of whether or not I will be able to slot it into a team, but more of the fact that I'd like to have it in hand incase the occasion to use it arises sometime during a tour. So I can only speak for myself here gb. However, when it comes to PSL, I usually build from scratch because as one of the GOAT (I can't hold back on showing off bro), I believe that PSL is a better platform to showcase your creativity, which requires new comps / changes, although it need not be from scratch. But the path I need to take to get there is so huge, that I cannot imagine signing up to play UU since I haven't even finished with breeding for OU.  

We do get a lot of hype for MMO tiers, but I think that's mostly because people are more familiar with MMO tiers than with showdown, and also because there's some drama behind it, like Kay vs Pipe, Doc v. Yubell, Osuki vs XPLOZ etc. I rarely ever got hyped for ORAS / VGC matches because I had absolutely no clue of what was happening. The surprise factor is something that most people look forward to in almost every event, except that the "surprise" can more common in Showdown because of players' lack of knowledge. Examples of surprise moments are Custap Berry Magnezone ( @Oltan) , my healing wish Jirachi to Cresselia vs Gunt, his crazy ass Raikou set vs me etc. DPP Showdown has always been hyped because it's mostly between experienced players like myself, Gunt, XPLOZ, Kimi, Sweet, (and anyone else I forgot, my b) etc.  

EDIT: You're right, our secondary showdown tiers have always sucked like ADV, VGC, ORAS, but personal bias aside, DPP has always been exciting, and it's a completely different excitement when you're the one playing it. 

Edited by NikhilR

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.