[PSL9] Season Baen9neXL - THE HYPE THREAD

1 minute ago, Gunthug said:

In theory it'd be nice to have like 5 people to help staff and run PSL who aren't playing. But like I've said, aside from maaaaaybe invitationals, PSL is by far the best event this game has to offer right now and robbing some of our best players of that (likely the ones who would be the "staff" of PSL) is a tall order

I dont know what you think staff's involvement in all this is but we dont do more than unlocking the admin thread

2 minutes ago, Bilburt said:

I dont know what you think staff's involvement in all this is but we dont do more than unlocking the admin thread

staff might ahve been a bad word, I was referring to basically a Host and a few council members for PSL who would refrain from playing

8 hours ago, Gunthug said:

Sadly I 100% agree the host cannot play in the future which is a huge bummer and I take some blame for being the host that began to play again after orange set the good example 

I've never actually wanted to enforce any kind of a standard that a host couldn't play but I simply refrained from playing in the season I hosted because I wanted my administrative decisions to be the least affected by bias as possible. And quite frankly, I thought the most likely outcome would be that I would punish my own group for rule violation even harder than I would as an outside host but even that is a biased approach. Obviously no host could ever reach 0% bias because every human being is biased by nature but doing everything possible to reduce the effects of bias is what I think the host should strive for.  Honestly, I think that @Blu3Breath is one of the people with the capability for the least biased hosting in this game if you were ever to have another season of PSL and I kinda wanted to officially root for him before but I haven't been involved enough in PSL for a long time that my opinion should have any weight but here's my shout out to him anyways.

About this whole coaching thing, I think we need to take an honest hard look at the PSL as a concept in general. If we genuinely feel like coaching is so prevalent in PSL that everyone do it, PSL simply put - shouldn't be a thing in this game. It kills the whole core concept of PSL. You could just buy the best player and make him play 8 games if coaching wasn't at least been frowned upon, like Bluebreath pointed out couple of pages ago. The biggest problem is that the circles in PokeMMO are just too small, way too many people are "friends". I'm not an expert about the whole Smogon and SPL world but as far as I've understood it most of the players in their team don't even really know each other. If in SPL someone just approached you and said "lemme coach you" the player playing the tier would probably just say "lol fuck off, I was the one being drafted for this tier". Meanwhile in PokeMMO often players just know that a certain player is better than them and there's that incentive for coaching.

Honestly, I'm not here to destroy PSL or anything but I just feel like it needs a serious reality check before another season is considered. I love the idea of big unofficial community events but we could also discuss whether PSL is the most ideal one for this community.

Edited by OrangeManiac
how2english

Well so far I can see that coaching happens with lower tier players, fillers if you may. I really doubt that a top tier player would be thrilled by the fact that they are forced to be coached. I know I would not take any coaching but then again it depends how u define coaching. For me coaching is helping a player multiple turns in a duel. I really dont think theres nothing we can do for that 1 turn help in a whole match, Ive used it and im pretty sure everyone has aswell its just how it is you cant help it. But anything further than that is coaching. 

Now to fix the problem of coaching I have a couple suggestions

-lesser slots in a team, that way only the elite will get picked. And as we know, its less likely that an established player will require the need of coaching because they are more than capable on their own.

- have the % win define OU1 and OU2. That way you have the best player in each team dueling the best player in the other team and etc. And again, u should feel ashamed of yourself if you need coaching vs a similarly talented player. 

-have a delay on the spectate mode, this will require help from the devs but I really think this would help not only for psl but for the comp scene all together. Sure people will say third party softwares but that requires a big load of effort to achieve coaching that is unnecesary in the first place since everyone should be dueling a similarly talented player. 

- Harsher punishements, we can compare ghosting to a murder in real life, its the worst thing u can do in their respective contexts. If you commit a murder and all u get is a yellow card and 1 week in jail trust me the world would have exploded already, and we should take exemple of spl, they ban u for life and put your name in the ground. 

With all these tweeks to psl I reallly think we can make it way better without allowing coaching. Lets be real if coaching allowed its not called psl anymore. 

If you have anything to add go ahead let me know what yall think

Tldr; read it.

1 hour ago, LionKIng said:

-lesser slots in a team, that way only the elite will get picked 

I honestly think that this crap elitist philosophy that people have been trying to push onto PSL in recent seasons would be detrimental to the competition as a whole for the following reasons:

1) PSL is a community event - it should be an opportunity for players of all ilks to band together and battle for true glory. If you were to only pick the “elite” then you would block one of the main routes through which lesser known players can really shine and make a name for themselves on the biggest stage available which currently, I think, is one of the more enjoyable aspects of the competition. The “elite” don’t stay “elite” forever - as much as some of their egos wish they could - and new players naturally should have an opportunity to rise up and contest for a spot on the podium. 

2) Look at how uninteresting PSL becomes during the last few weeks of the competition as the total number of participants whittles down. The original hype itself is generated by the sheer number of players that register and are drafted - if you reduce the number of players to start off with, then in my opinion the hype for this tournament will reduce proportionally throughout. Not only that, also think about how many of the big name players from yesteryear have quit or become significantly more inactive after the gen3-gen5 transition - if the big names no longer play, who do you draft?

3) Less participants = less donations. Smaller prize = less incentive to endure the sheer level of commitment that PSL participants are required to undertake in order to be successful in the competition. Go figure

tl;dr elitism is sanctimonious bullshit - save it for the invitationals 

Edited by Zymogen
8 minutes ago, Zymogen said:

I honestly think that this crap elitist philosophy that people have been trying to push onto PSL in recent seasons would be detrimental to the competition as a whole for the following reasons:

1) PSL is a community event - it should be an opportunity for players of all ilks to band together and battle for true glory. If you were to only pick the “elite” then you would prevent one of the main routes for lesser known players to really shine and make a name for themselves on the biggest stage available which currently, I think, is one of the more enjoyable aspects of the competition. The “elite” don’t stay “elite” forever - as much as some of their egos wish they could - and new players naturally should have an opportunity to rise up and contest for a spot on the podium. 

2) Look at how uninteresting PSL becomes during the last few weeks of the competition as the total number of participants whittles down. The original hype itself is generated by the sheer number of players that register and are drafted - if you reduce the number of players to start off with, then in my opinion the hype for this tournament will reduce proportionally throughout. Not only that, also think about how many of the big name players from yesteryear have quit or become significantly more inactive after the gen3-gen5 transition - if the big names no longer play, who do you draft?

3) Less participants = less donations. Smaller prize = less incentive to endure the sheer level of commitment that PSL participants are required to undertake in order to be successful in the competition. Go figure

tl;dr elitism is sanctimonious bullshit - save it for the invitationals 

Psl should never have been a community event in the first place. Its called pokemon super league and not everyone gets drafted league. If you dont have the numbers to make a pool to draft enough good players that will not get coached you just cut the number of slots you need to fill ur team. Its a competition and not a charity event that even amy gets drafted like come on now.

Also the term elite is just what as I refer to the best players atm. Doesnt need to be anythkng else than what you think is the best, after all its the managers who will decide who they think is the best in the game its just logical. Theres other platforms that you can shine threw and prove you are good enough to play in psl.

As I see it right now the mentality around psl is heavily around coaching the noobs on your team to make it a super squad without paying for it. Honestly I dont get why people would sign up to get coached. But thats what is happening and the peoplle getting coached are the fillerd the ones that arent ready for the spotlight.

It might just be time for the PSL to end. We've had 9 seasons, and the last 3 have really been pretty boring. A lot of elite players are simply passing up the opportunity to play because they know they'll be asked to coach, build, and generally work their assess off and for what? To get haxed in the playoffs or win a measly 3m? It's just not worth it anymore when the hype is gone.

We also know that the event is corrupt. For fucks sake I was one of the biggest opponents of coaching early on and now here I am banned for that very thing. 

Aside from that, being a, manager isn't fun anymore. I tried changing it up to make it more interesting for managers, but alas, those didn't work (tournaments, inventive, awards, etc). We had a shallow pool last season ( I got picked again... wot) and an even more shallow pool this season. 

I thought having a new gen would bring the hype back, but the turnout sucked. The matches were great...ish. A lot of veteran players I could tell didn't put the effort in knowing they'd likely make the playoffs and that's where they'd shine. 

Tl;dr The concept is great, but the PSL has overstayed its welcome. Time to move on. 

49 minutes ago, Gunthug said:

@DoubleJ pretty much every single thing you mentioned that was wrong with this season was a result of you swooping in, taking host from zebra, and starting psl way too early. 

Zebra wasn't interrested in hosting at the time iirc. You can't really blame the man for hosting the event too early when you signed up like the rest of us and didn't ask for the season to be delayed.

1 hour ago, Vorred said:

Rigamorty

Who?

Edited by gbwead
8 minutes ago, gbwead said:

Zebra wasn't interrested in hosting at the time iirc. You can't really blame the man for hosting the event too early when you signed up like the rest of us and didn't ask for the season to be delayed.

Who?

Lol I was supposed to not sign up for the only event I participate in just because he jumped the gun? I'm not lambasting him for doing it, just pointing out that it was quite obviously too early 

Also the whole post was just absurd. Oh now that you got caught and are potentially facing a ban you want psl to end? How convenient.

Edited by Gunthug
2 minutes ago, Gunthug said:

Lol I was supposed to not sign up for the only event I participate in just because he jumped the gun? I'm not lambasting him for doing it, just pointing out that it was quite obviously too early 

Already told you that you get 100% of the blame for everything that goes wrong, that's how it works.

@DoubleJ i disagree. we had the last 3 psl's with what? 2-3 months inbetween them? and it last 3 months. when you have the psl going on more often then not, its going to feel less special and get smaller prize pools.  the corrupt part is bad but the next psl does not have to be corrupt. and yea some of your ideas didnt work, but oh well move on. you dont need to spice up the event or add drama. the matches ARE the drama. 

If PSL didn't exist I probably wouldn't be playing this game. Grinding for automated tourneys is boring to me, and I can talk to friends and teammates through discord and other games. I can't speak for others but I'm positive some others feel that way. Solutions > replacement or removal of PSL. 

Give PSL a few months break, wait until middle summer, and there should be a good amount of anticipation for it. In the mean time, we should be thinking and implement the changes we want to see made.

7 minutes ago, Gunthug said:

Must have just completely missed @OrangeManiac's post earlier so I can't fully blame JJ for that...special post. What the hell is wrong with you guys? Are you guys this big of quitters in real life too when you face some adversity? PSL hits a rough patch and all of a sudden the proper course of action is to just scrap the entire league? Jesus christ

I did not say the proper action is to scrap the entire league. My message was only that the community should really sit down and discuss whether a PSL-like format is the best suitable event for this community. There's a huge difference. It isn't quitting to have a proper discussion about something, no?

If the conclusion is "yes, PSL is the best format we can think of", sure. Go ahead and host like 20 more seasons, all the power to you. But it doesn't make much sense to negate such a massive issue as ghosting in PSL which obviously ruins the whole core concept of the PSL. Has ghosting been there always? Sure, I mean, probably has. But it has never been such an outspoken issue as it is now and what's worse that people are even defending a rule violation which interferes with the very core concept of PSL. If people seriously are this fine with coaching/ghosting within a team, maybe some other team-based event is more suitable for PokeMMO?

I mean, again, it's just a damn conversation starter. I assume you don't want people to light up torches every time you want to discuss a potential suspect test.

Stopping PSL is just a rash move, 'All the good players stopped playing' isn't a strong argument rather than an excuse.

A couple of months off and a new host can definitely spark more interest in PSL like Kimi said. The main reason for the popularity of PSL over officials is the community involvement that takes place and that's always going to be there drama filled or not. Player's come and go, no one's languishing over ThinkNice,Amanu or Miles  and they wont in the future when our current crop of players stop or deteriorate. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.