[PSL9] Season Baen9neXL - THE HYPE THREAD

1 minute ago, fredrichnietze said:

thats psl for ya. everyone has practice against friends who will likely be their opponent here.

but matchmaking relieves that a little bit, you could even use an alt in MMO to do matchmaking which cant really be reliably scouted

6 minutes ago, Spaintakula said:

I actually am, if they can put bw2 lc ubers as tours, they can just as easily make that

Attendance however is troublesome

I was referring the begging part, besides these tournaments are quite easily scoutable as well. I'm not saying LC Gen 5 is impossible, its just impossible to do without someone relevant to PSL knowing your team

Just now, Bilburt said:

I was referring the begging part, besides these tournaments are quite easily scoutable as well. I'm not saying LC Gen 5 is impossible, its just impossible to do without someone relevant to PSL knowing your team

I didn't actually mean begging. Usually when there aren't any tours running, users can ask for a specific tournament and mods usually are nice enough to create them, unlike ones here nomsayin.

Either way, yeah, scouting is always gonna be a problem, on every single ladder, not just lc.

1 minute ago, Rigamorty said:

There's no ladder support for MMO LC but we would use that if it was viable, I don't see the problem. 

you'd have the same problem as last PSL's SMOU, a bunch of people rip smogon teams and bash their heads against their keyboards

which admittedly isnt that big of a problem, but it takes away a lot of the fun in watching

Just now, Bilburt said:

you'd have the same problem as last PSL's SMOU, a bunch of people rip smogon teams and bash their heads against their keyboards

which admittedly isnt that big of a problem, but it takes away a lot of the fun in watching

Right now our plan is to start with Gen 5 LC, since it's closest to our own LC, and then if we get eviolite in game sometime before midseason we're switching to that. 

Just now, Rigamorty said:

Right now our plan is to start with Gen 5 LC, since it's closest to our own LC, and then if we get eviolite in game sometime before midseason we're switching to that. 

like Blue and Kimi pointed out, managers cant really rely on people to have all the LC comps ready when theres no certainty of eviolite being implemented, also Gen 5 LC has pokes that we dont have so you'd be switching up the tier as well

4 minutes ago, Bilburt said:

also Gen 5 LC has pokes that we dont have so you'd be switching up the tier as well

Not really, the only usable pokes that aren't implemented are Tirtouga, Croagunk and Drifloon, and none of them and particularly centralising

Edited by Suneet
11 minutes ago, Suneet said:

Not really, the only usable pokes that aren't implemented are Tirtouga, Croagunk and Drifloon, and none of them and particularly centralising

I dont know the tier so I'll take your word for it, my main point stands tho, Managers cant depend on their players to have acces to all LC mons when eviolite is not a certainity to be implemented before the 5th week

In my opinion its better to stay with the LC tier you started with, whether its MMO or Showdown

41 minutes ago, Bilburt said:

Believe me, existence of a ladder actually helps with scouting. That's not a valid complaint 

12 minutes ago, Suneet said:

All still pretty decent and very much so capable of turning games around on their own.

You'd have to ban them or some shit in bw lc, so

Just now, Gunthug said:

Believe me, existence of a ladder actually helps with scouting. That's not a valid complaint 

I suppose you're right on that account. still limits your access to people that know the tier to a degree where you can learn from them

18 minutes ago, Bilburt said:

I suppose you're right on that account. still limits your access to people that know the tier to a degree where you can learn from them

YouTube. Guides. Creativity. 

I recognize watching an active meta is pretty important, but sometimes we just can't. 

1 minute ago, Bilburt said:

I mean you could just not pick a dead tier. but we both know that wont happen

I think of it as promoting a potential tier within PokeMMO, rather than a dead tier. 

Our game most reassembles BW and one aspect we lack is eviolite. If we can "simulate" our meta online, why not do that? We can theoretically practice using the simulator or on MMO. It's an old meta that has a lot of information behind it and thus we can base our theory on prior practice. 

Do we need active tournaments to spectate when everything we need to learn is already there? Not really. It just takes more work and thought.

5 minutes ago, DoubleJ said:

I think of it as promoting a potential tier within PokeMMO, rather than a dead tier. 

then why not add Gen 5 OU? Like I get we have DPP and they are fairly similar but if participation and numbers is what your after gen5 would surely outweigh LC and SMOU because of the parallels to our current OU tier.  

39 minutes ago, Suneet said:

Except for the fact this is incredibly misleading, and not accurate at all?

It seems to me like a lot of this discussion is people who haven't actually played LC significantly, talking about Gen 5 LC and it's similarities to PokeMMO LC (read: this is very wrong)

First of all, mechanical differences. Non-Perma weather in PokeMMO makes Drilbur a good deal worse than it was in Gen 5 LC, where it's a massive, top tier sweeper. No permanent sand means you either only have 5 turns, which sucks, or you run Smooth Stone on your Hippo, which sucks. Either way, it's a pretty significant nerf to a massive threat.

Beyond that, there's tons of little things; Misdreavus not having Nasty Plot, for one. It's also worth mentioning that at least 2 of the pokemon you mentioned (Tirtouga, and ESPECIALLY Croagunk) are really big deals in Gen 5 LC, and excellent pokemon. They're not "centralising", but Croagunk is such a blanket, good pokemon to slap on your team that the difference between dealing with it and not are pretty significant.

With that being said, you might be able to argue that some of the prior things are relatively "minor". I'd disagree with you, but you could argue that. However, the most important factor BY FAR, is that in gen 5 LC, Berry Juice is banned, and in PokeMMO, it's legal. Berry Juice is basically Eviolite-tier meta defining as an item in every LC metagame that it's legal in, making tons of otherwise non-viable sets viable, and giving Eviolite some decent competition in terms of just being an all around fantastic item. The difference between Berry Juice Pickup Zigzagoon and Oran Berry Pickup Zigzagoon is fucking enormous; In terms of usability and threat level, they can't even be compared.

Not to mention the lack of Dream World abilities, the fact Murkrow is banned in gen 5 but not here (again because of DW), etc. etc., there's tons of little (and large) differences between the tiers that to suggest we should run Gen 5 LC because it's most similar to PokeMMO LC is simply absurd.

I love LC, and PokeMMO LC in PSL would be sick. But throwing in gen 5 LC in case of no eviolite just seems so completely ass-backwards to me. It's an attempt to stick in a tier "most similar" to PokeMMO LC, but ignores the fact that they really aren't all that similar. If you're that scared of no Eviolite, make it Gen 7 LC or something, or alternatively, dump LC completely and implement some other Showdown tier. (Preferably not SMOU, because it sux)

Even BWOU, or some random Other Meta gimmick format would be way more interesting than Gen 5 LC until it randomly swaps.

tl;dr: gen 5 lc is a dumb choice, pick literally anything else. if you want LC, pick gen 7. if you're that spooked solid about no eviolite, make the tier like any other showdown tier, it'd probably be more interesting.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.